I've begun work on this game. So far I have ideas for:
- Completing levels
- Completing a level with no digging
- Defeating enemies in one level
- Defeating enemies in one playthrough
- Collecting fruit

Rimsala
Posted: 16 Nov, 2018 10:01
I've had a few people ask me about the decision to give out achievements per level. I thank everyone for their inquiries. I'll explain my reasoning behind this decision.

Basically, this game functions largely like a puzzle game, with each level being an individual puzzle to solve, and without world distinctions (no "World 1", etc). While you can play levels consecutively and accumulate a score, it's rarely the focus of the game.

Part of the nature of this game is the ability to get stuck and not be able to clear the level nor die. In typical versions of Lode Runner, when this occurs, you press the "suicide button". In this port, that button (Select) is replaced with the "level select button". That means there is no way to get unstuck without going to the level select screen.

Normally, when we design achievements, we try not to make achievements for clearing every level, but instead, groups of levels. However, the only way to require groups of levels to be cleared is to disallow use of level select. Of course, this also means disallowing the ability to get unstuck. While this isn't bad inherently, I believe it's unsatisfactory to design only mid-tier achievements with no low-tier achievements.

What I mean by this is: usually, when we give special conditions to clear a level, like "clear five levels in a row without ever getting stuck or else do them all over again", it's not the base achievement; it's usually an achievement on top of more basic achievements like "clear a few levels in any manner". But for me to code grouped level achievements would require all players to be able to play without getting stuck in any manner in order to get any achievements. And I did not find that to be a satisfactory solution. The only alternative is to hand out an achievement for clearing each individual level. However, because each level is a unique puzzle, I didn't find that to be a big problem in this game's case.

So, in other words, hopefully the achievements don't seem too spammy in this set. I thought this was better than requiring players to learn how to clear multiple levels in a row without getting stuck before being able to earn any achievements (other than 1 or 2 really basic things like "defeat an enemy"). I plan to do a similar thing for Championship Lode Runner, but also include time requirements for each stage. It's Championship Lode Runner, after all.

If anyone has any grievances with this set, please don't hesitate to contact me about it.

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account