Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Super Mario Bros

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 22 Sep, 2016 22:05
Are 1up blocks allowed in penniless plumber or are they considered powerups?

Posted: 22 Sep, 2016 22:23
Only the star, mushroom/flower & +coins are forbidden. You are fine to take extra lives if you need them.

Posted: 18 Oct, 2016 05:36
Once again, bringing up to vote to get rid of the Penniless Plumber achievement.

It requires TAS level execution among other things to do, and some obscure tricks that a developer would never put in. With all the new achievements this one still looks bad.

If anyone's worried about losing points on other sites, MetaGamerScore still keeps track of and awards points for unobtainable achievements, so no one would be screwed.

-James

Posted: 18 Oct, 2016 14:45
I dunno i was able to get it. It was incredibly annoying to do but far from impossible. I am fine with whatever the majority decides.

Posted: 28 Oct, 2016 15:29
Last Edit: 28 Oct, 2016 17:57
It's impossible to avoid all coins legitimately. Warps would have to be your best friend. Props to whoever added the pacifist and coin hunter achievements. Those are brilliant.

Edit: Okay, the penniless plumber achievement is possible abusing glitches. The warp in 4-2 will force you to get a coin or you can perform hitting the vine only and rushing to the third tunnel to end up in the warp area(a glitch). In 8-4, you have to perform the wall jump glitch to avoid a coin block to reach the water tunnel. That is two coins if you played without performing glitches. Yeah, it should he removed. Sorry.

Posted: 28 Oct, 2016 21:22
Okay, I've been seeing complaints about this one a lot and I can understand how irritating it is to have to abuse glitches, especially something as difficult for a non-speedrunner on hardcore mode as well-jumping, so I went ahead and changed it to less than 3 coins. I think that's still extremely challenging and falls in line with the principle concept of the achievement well enough, without requiring glitches.

If anyone has any issue with this, feel free to reply here.

Posted: 28 Oct, 2016 21:37
At least change the description to reflect the change.

Posted: 28 Oct, 2016 21:48
Last Edit: 28 Oct, 2016 23:14
^ Yeah, i would've under normal circumstances, but I was in a hurry so I didn't think of it.

Also, any other dev can feel free to change it back, if they can offer an explanation as to how it's possible without these mentioned feats to satisfy all players. It's fine for achievements to be extremely challenging, but requiring glitch abuse (especially something that requires speedrunner finesse) isn't something we should be doing IMO, even if scott himself originally created that achievement.

In addition, I'm wondering if it's exactly 2 that's very doable, or should it be kept at 3? I'm thinking about it and the one coin block to legitimately reach the warp in 4-2 and the one to reach the pipe in 8-4 are the only ones you necessarily need to get in a glitchless run, though things like giving you the option to either hit another block to reach the vine in 4-2 to make it easier or collect the 2 you normally have to do an accurate goomba-jump over the pit to avoid in 8-1 if you glitch the vine warp make me feel that 3 is the magic number here to keep it still about as hard as Scott envisioned without being unfair. Of course, there's also the option of 5 so you can hit 2 blocks in 4-1, get both coins in 8-1 and the one in 8-4 which would still be very challenging but might be a bit too far removed from the 'SMB Master" status that this achievement was made for.

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 00:07
As has been pointed before, there are 2 Blocks with coins that need to be grabbed (not using glitches) so you can continue. The one for the warp in 4-2 and the one to reach the tube in 8-4. Then there's the challenge of making the jump in 8-1 w/o grabbing either coin.

You can avoid the coin in 4-2 with the wrong warp glitch (you have to make Mario scroll to the right of the screen and take the pipe) or if I'm not mistaken just don't take that warp and play the rest of the levels (good luck with that). And you can avoid the coin in 8-4 with either walljumping or (not sure if it has a proper name) by scrolling the screen and having enough space between the start of the screen and the Pipe for Mario to get stuck and climb.

The coin(s) in 8-1 require you to either scroll the screen and stump on a Goomba midair or do a walljump, this is THE challenge.

I'm not sure if increasing the amount of coins is the way to go here. While this site is against achievements where you need to perform glitches (except that precisely for you still have to go with it), so I don't see why this wasn't removed when it was revised (I even though it was the purpose of the revision).

However If you decide to keep it, I think you should also rename the achievement. Since getting a few coins isn't quite penniless now is still less than a nickel (5 cents). There's a say that goes "Not worth a plugged nickel" which translates to worthless, so you could say something like "almost worth a plugged nickel" or similar...

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 00:22
Last Edit: 29 Oct, 2016 00:23
I have said it for a while and will continue to say that this site should have a set of Challenge Achievements that would be parallel to the Core set of achievements and actually be shown on each game's page on the RA site as the Core set achievements are shown. There would be a tab system where users could click on to show each set (Core & Challenge) so that the Challenge achievements would have visibility on the site unlike the complete lack of visibility Unofficial achievements have on the site other than when they are first uploaded or if they are publicized in the forums like the ones I make.

I disliked Penniless Plumber ever since I first knew of its existence but I spent a lot of time getting it like I know everyone else who got it did. So having it removed or altered now is going to be frustrating, but if a Challenge achievements section was created and it was moved to that section, perhaps with an increase in the amount of points it's worth given how hard it is to pull off, I think everyone who got it would be satisfied.

I know such a change to the website isn't feasible currently but I hope it's considered. By the way I looked at Penniless Plumber and saw that it is obtainable another way as well due to flaws in the way it's made.

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 00:33
That's it! This achievement is landing in unofficial, because of being too controversial. I've only kept it after revision cause I've been asked to leave it. Sorry guys, but there is just to many arguments against it to leave it in core.

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 00:40
I really wish Scott would've done that ages ago. I regret wasting all the time I spent getting it.

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 01:49
Sounds good to me lol. I agree with the Challenge Achievements idea though, although most achievements are a 'challenge' so maybe "Super Player achievements" or somesuch would be a better name. That's of course just another thing for a future where Scott comes back and either works on the site again or hands the reins over to someone else, though.

Even Challenge Achievements I feel shouldn't use glitch stuff though, or if it does, it should state somewhere exactly what needs to be used and how to use it since it's not a part of normal gameplay.

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 05:41
Woo

Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 06:45

======
Good bye my friend. You will be missed... at least by me...
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account