Saturn DevJam

Page of 3 > 

Joined Oct 20, 2015

OP

January 31 2024, 12:00am, edited February 1 2024, 12:10am

Those who were around when we did the PS1 rollout may remember that shortly afterwards, we added support for a ton of consoles, Saturn being one of them. It wasn't until getting PSP and Dreamcast support nearly back-to-back that rollouts became a regular thing for us. Aside from Nintendo DS, it had felt like all the newly supported consoles between PS1 and PSP were somewhat ignored, which always bugged me. Having managed or at least co-managed most of the rollouts from PSP onward, I couldn't shake the nagging internal dialogue asking me what a Saturn or 3DO rollout would have been like. A few of us occasionally joked about having retroactive rollouts for consoles that didn't get one, but it wasn't something I thought people would actually get on board with. Eventually, I pitched DevJam to QA, DevComp, and the events team before finally announcing it to devs and then the rest of RA. Seven months later, we've had not one, but two successful DevJams. :jackedfrost:

Sega Saturn's life was a pretty miserable one here in the west thanks to Sega's poor business decisions at the time and Sony turning the console wars upside-down with the announcement and eventual release of the original PlayStation. However, back in its homeland of Japan, the Saturn lived a healthy life for several more years before eventually being succeeded by the Dreamcast, which was also done dirty, but that's another matter.

Anyway, if you remember how the emulation scene was 10+ years ago, then you probably remember how hopeless Saturn emulation felt. It wasn't until 2015 or so when things started to pick up and decent Saturn emulation actually seemed possible. While it is still far from perfect, it's good enough that as of today, we have 50+ new sets for it!

A good chunk of these are available right now, but the rest should be promoted throughout the day:

Advanced V.G. (Saturn) Advanced V.G. (Saturn) by clymax
Arcade Gears Vol. 1: Pu-Li-Ru-La (Saturn) Arcade Gears Vol. 1: Pu-Li-Ru-La (Saturn) by tomojin
Arcade Gears Vol. 1: Pu-Li-Ru-La [Subset - Multi] (Saturn) Arcade Gears Vol. 1: Pu-Li-Ru-La (Saturn) Subset Multi by tomojin
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazo Makaimura: Incredible Toons (Saturn) Arthur to Astaroth no Nazo Makaimura: Incredible Toons (Saturn) by Sines
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Various Emotion (Saturn) Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Various Emotion (Saturn) by LordAndrew
Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition (Saturn) Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition (Saturn) by Hexadigital
Center Ring Boxing (Saturn) Center Ring Boxing (Saturn) by LiveFastCyYoung
Cleopatra Fortune (Saturn) Cleopatra Fortune (Saturn) by ladynadiad
~Prototype~ Clockwork Knight Puzzle | Pengin War (Saturn) Clockwork Knight Puzzle | Pengin War (Saturn) Prototype by xnaivx
Congo - The Movie: The Lost City of Zinj (Saturn) Congo - The Movie: The Lost City of Zinj (Saturn) by MGNS8M
Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness (Saturn) Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness (Saturn) by Tayadaoc
Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators (Saturn) Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators (Saturn) by AfroRyan
Dungeon Master Nexus (Saturn) Dungeon Master Nexus (Saturn) by Cadaxar
Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Saturn) Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Saturn) by Snow
Dungeons & Dragons Collection [Subset - Multi] (Saturn) Dungeons & Dragons Collection (Saturn) Subset Multi by Snow
Elevator Action Returns (Saturn) Elevator Action Returns (Saturn) by Kinglink
Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (Saturn) Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (Saturn) by Sines
Gals Panic SS (Saturn) Gals Panic SS (Saturn) by Hexadigital
Genso Suikoden (Saturn) Genso Suikoden (Saturn) by televandalist
Girls in Motion Puzzle Vol. 1: Hiyake no Omoide + Himekuri (Saturn) Girls in Motion Puzzle Vol. 1: Hiyake no Omoide + Himekuri (Saturn) by Kinglink
Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon (Saturn) Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon (Saturn) by Bl4h8L4hBl4h
Guardian Force (Saturn) Guardian Force (Saturn) by ThatAmericanSlacker
Gungriffon (Saturn) Gungriffon (Saturn) by televandalist
House of the Dead, The (Saturn) House of the Dead, The (Saturn) by kmpers
Hyper Duel (Saturn) Hyper Duel (Saturn) by DoctorV
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (Saturn) Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (Saturn) by DoctorV
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns [Subset - Multi] (Saturn) Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (Saturn) Subset Multi by DoctorV
Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) Magic Knight Rayearth (Saturn) by lordpsycho
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story I: Senritsu no Blue | Blue Fear (Saturn) Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story I: Senritsu no Blue | Blue Fear (Saturn) by Sines
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story II: Ao o Uketsugu Mono | Heir to the Blue (Saturn) Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story II: Ao o Uketsugu Mono | Heir to the Blue (Saturn) by Sines
Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story III: Sabakareshi Mono | The Condemned (Saturn) Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story III: Sabakareshi Mono | The Condemned (Saturn) by Sines
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Saturn) Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Saturn) by clymax
Night Striker S (Saturn) Night Striker S (Saturn) by Sines
Ninpen Manmaru (Saturn) Ninpen Manmaru (Saturn) by AuburnRDM
O-chan no Oekaki Logic (Saturn) O-chan no Oekaki Logic (Saturn) by kmpers
Pastel Muses (Saturn) Pastel Muses (Saturn) by LordAndrew
Princess Crown (Saturn) Princess Crown (Saturn) by TheMysticalOne
Sakura Wars | Sakura Taisen (Saturn) Sakura Wars | Sakura Taisen (Saturn) by lordpsycho
Saturn Bomberman Fight!! (Saturn) Saturn Bomberman Fight!! (Saturn) by Sines
Scud: The Disposable Assassin (Saturn) Scud: The Disposable Assassin (Saturn) by TheJediSonic
Sega Ages: After Burner II (Saturn) Sega Ages: After Burner II (Saturn) by Sutarion
Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II (Saturn) Sega Ages: Galaxy Force II (Saturn) by Sutarion
Sega Ages: OutRun (Saturn) Sega Ages: OutRun (Saturn) by ThatAmericanSlacker
Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari (Saturn) Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Itsuka Kakumei Sareru Monogatari (Saturn) by tomojin
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (Saturn) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (Saturn) by LiveFastCyYoung
Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Saturn) Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Saturn) by tomojin
Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai [Subset - Multi] (Saturn) Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai (Saturn) Subset Multi by tomojin
Three Dirty Dwarves (Saturn) Three Dirty Dwarves (Saturn) by TheMysticalOne
Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu | Ultraman: Legendary Giant of Light (Saturn) Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu | Ultraman: Legendary Giant of Light (Saturn) by Bilalscape12
Uno DX (Saturn) Uno DX (Saturn) by Maximdraco
Virtua Cop (Saturn) Virtua Cop (Saturn) by Kinglink
Virtua Fighter Kids (Saturn) Virtua Fighter Kids (Saturn) by Bl4h8L4hBl4h
Time Warner Interactive's VR Virtua Racing (Saturn) Time Warner Interactive's VR Virtua Racing (Saturn) by Hotscrock
Worms (Saturn) Worms (Saturn) by DarkyAndreas
WWF In Your House (Saturn) WWF In Your House (Saturn) by Sines
Yumimi Mix Remix (Saturn) Yumimi Mix Remix (Saturn) by ladynadiad

Thanks to all who contributed!

You can also check the [DevJam - Developed Sets] (Hubs) [DevJam - Developed Sets] (Hubs) to see which games were made specifically for it.

Be sure to also checkout our sister event, PlayJam! (Will update this part with that post when its made)

Joined Feb 21, 2022

January 31 2024, 12:12am

Bravo, extremely well done to all participants. Saturn is my favorite Sega console, so this is an absolute treat! Super excited for future DevJams.

Joined Nov 21, 2015

January 31 2024, 12:22am, edited January 31 2024, 12:25am

Congrats on the Saturn roll-out, lots of fun games to play and get cheevos for!

Joined Sep 3, 2022

January 31 2024, 12:31am

i get a heart attack! i love you all, im so happy about this rollout!

it was really pitty Saturn get so less love in the past from the Devs.
i can't never understand why Saturn is so unpopular in the community always Genesis or Dreamcast the favorits from Sega.

thank you for every game!

Magic Knight Rayearth i'm comming to master <3

Joined Nov 22, 2023

January 31 2024, 12:34am

This is absolutely awesome, it's fun to see a whole batch roll out all together. Thanks to everyone for making all of these new sets for us!

I hope you'll do more of these to focus on other gaps in the achievement library. I know it would be less popular, but things like a sports game jam might help encourage development for types of games that are less likely to get picked.

Joined Jul 18, 2021

January 31 2024, 12:56am

Oh my god it's like a dream, so many saturn gems get a set after one night!! Thanks so much for the hard work!!!!

Joined Sep 3, 2022

January 31 2024, 12:58am

i like the dev jam/play jam very much, in the past i have never played SG-1000 but with playjam i have learn many about this console. was a very interssting experience. can't wait for a Amiga playjam (fingers cross and send prays to the dev god this comes on one day)

Joined Jun 7, 2022

January 31 2024, 1:29am, edited January 31 2024, 3:02am

Very cool! Great work!

Joined Mar 10, 2021

January 31 2024, 1:56am

YES! More Saturn games, thx!

Joined Jan 16, 2020

January 31 2024, 1:59am

Wonderful! I hope the next Devjam will be of NES sets ๐Ÿ˜

Joined Aug 30, 2015

January 31 2024, 2:00am

Saturn love o/

Glad of lot of beath-em-ups got sets

Hope someday Arcade has a DevJam too, we have +300 sets but it barely scratches the surface of what it's missing

Developer

Joined Jul 20, 2014

January 31 2024, 4:19am

I hope you'll do more of these to focus on other gaps in the achievement library. I know it would be less popular, but things like a sports game jam might help encourage development for types of games that are less likely to get picked. 

There's already a DevQuest for sports games [DevQuest 017] RA World Cup (Events) [DevQuest 017] RA World Cup (Events) so it's doubtful a DevJam would happen for it, but some devs have been using DevJam and rollouts to complete that quest. Keep in mind though that we wouldn't want set quality to go down, so trying to incentivize sets for genres can be tricky because the best sets come from devs who love a game. The best thing to get more sports sets would be if more fans of those types of games were to learn how to make sets. The more active devs there are who love sports games, the more that gap will get filled in.

Joined Oct 21, 2022

January 31 2024, 5:36am, edited January 31 2024, 1:55pm

Wow this is really awesome!

I really hope there is a 3DO Dev Jam at some point! there are some great 3DO games that would use achievements!
Some games worth doing I think would be...

AD&D Slayer
AD&D Deathkeep
Shockwave
Space Hulk
The Horde
Shockwave Operation Jumpgate
Shockwave 2
Captain Quazar
Immercenary
Blade Force
Way of the Warrior
Wing Commander III
Battle Blues (English patched version)
Burning Solider
Bust A Move
Crash N Burn
Total Eclipse
D
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
Killing Time
Luciene's Quest
Out of This World
Flashback
Road Rash
Star Control II

I love these games and would be totally willing to help come up achievement ideas and names for them if anyone who has the skills to implement them! Just message me!

Developer

Joined Jan 3, 2017

January 31 2024, 6:13am

I was pushing for an Arcade jam, and will push for it again next chance. That being said, PC Engine will be awesome. (my games will be out later today, so I can support them just in case)

Joined May 2, 2018

January 31 2024, 7:43am

What a great surprise to see all these Saturn games added today! Thanks to all devs for this. Can't wait to see 3DO get this much love. I have a real soft spot for that console as well.
Page of 3 > 

You must log in before you can join this conversation.