Retro Olympics 2022 - Sign Ups Now Opened For Competitors!

RetroOlympics13 Sep, 2022 15:04(Edited 25 Sep, 2022 18:20)

“Were you the greatest in your day at Mega Drive or SNES games? Wanna prove it?” - Scott

TL:DR - Sign up for this years Retro Olympics here!
This year's competition will be team based. Compete against other countries each saturday in the RetroAchievements Discord starting November 5 and win an olympic medal for your profile! What country will dominate the Retro Olympics this year?

Update September 23:
Signups will be closing on October 2, Sunday!

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses so far. A few questions have reached our inbox, so some additional notes to clarify:

• A webcam / microphone are not required. The only thing you will be streaming is your screen/emulator in the RA Discord.
• Although a competition, players of all skill level are welcome, this is a community event.
• If your country doesn't meet the member criteria, you are still able to join the competition. Players from these teams will be merged with other small teams.

Introduction

Welcome (back) to the Retro Olympics! The yearly skill-based competition on RetroAchievements hosted by voiceofautumn and Searo in which members of RA participate to obtain the title of olympic champion. Players will battle for Olympic Points (OP) in the bracket stage, to obtain their right to duke it out for real in the knock-out stage. There, gamers finalize their battle for glory and the crown. Read up on last year's edition here!

An example of the scores and games of the 2021 edition can be found here!

This year's Olympics are expected to start on November 5, each saturday starting inbetween 7PM CEST / 11 AM CST or 8PM CEST / 12 CST

Changes to this year's Retro Olympics

The Retro Olympics 2022 roughly follow the same match format as 2021: A Group Stage followed up by a Knockout Stage. However, this year the Retro Olympics has a few changes in store related to it's mechanics to bring more excitement to the crowd, players and the competition.

• Let's kick off with the biggest change: this year players will compete in national teams, instead of as individuals. This means that teams are based on country. Team sizes will be determined after signups close to balance the event. Ideally, teams exist of 5. If a country exceeds signups of the set team size, the members will be randomized over multiple teams of that country. If a country misses the set team size, it will be merged with another team that lies nearby/ is similar either geographically or in terms of language (e.g. Netherlands & Belgium, UK & Ireland)
• Last year's 9, 6, 4, 1 point structure is replaced by a Best Of X system (X to be decided by the team size). Meaning that if teams will be sized with 5 players, each week will be a best of 3 match, where teams send forward 3 of their 5 players to all individually compete in a 1-on-1 against the opposing country. Winning earns a team 3 points, tying earns 1 point. 
Let's look at an example using the picture above: The left team will send forward Maxmilyin, Sarconius & Freezestar against Wendigo, Danibodom and Thoreau on the other team. Maxmilyin will face off against Wendigo. Sarconius will face off against Danibodom and Freezestar will face off against Thoreau. The team that wins the most matches out of the three takes home the points for their team that week.
• Although this gives players some more flexibility on availability, we do expect players to coorporate on their team so everyone gets to play, and makes sure that they are available enough to not hinder the team. We will closely monitor if players are active enough in the competition. If not, action may be taken by event hosts and/or referees.
• The full game list for the entire tournament will be released at the start of the tournament instead of releasing a game each week, so everyone has a fair shot at practicing games, instead of only having a week while having a full time job. 
• Streamers and referees will be split up so the streamer can focus on streaming. One channel will be used for all streams that is not associated to any individual user. 

Additional critical information

• Gold, Silver and Bronze Event Badges will be handed out to members of the teams finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
• The aimed starting date is November 5 with a bracket stage of 7 weeks. After a Christmas/New Years break, the knock-out stage will resume, duration depending on the total amount of teams.
• The aimed starting time will be between 7PM CEST / 11 AM CST or 8PM CEST / 12 CST - End time will be depending on the amount of participants

Rules & Requirements

• Be in Discord streaming your screen so the referees can ensure the rules are being enforced.
• Use the game version that is specified in the game list
• All challenges must be performed in an emulator that support achievements/leaderboards
• All challenges must be performed in an emulator that can display the RAhash of the loaded game (You might need to update your RetroArch if you’re using an older version).
• All challenges must be performed in Hardcore Mode unless specified otherwise (to avoid accidental save state use, etc).
• Fast Forward is not allowed
• Turbo input is not allowed
• Glitches and cheat codes are not allowed unless specified

In case you are in doubt if something that is not listed here, but might give you an unfair advantage, is allowed, contact a referee, but abstain from using it.

F.A.Q.

What happens if players quit during the bracket stage?

We will make note of players abandoning their team for future events, just like in 2021. By working with teams sending out a part of their team to compete each week, we are trying to avoid these issues having a huge impact on the competition, and give players more freedom if one teammates has a week off.

How many brackets will be running per day?

The plan is to run all brackets back-to-back, just like in 2021.

How do you referee the results of the competition?

A referee will be watching the screens of all participants for any forms of an unfair advantage. We will be recording/streaming all gameplay. In the event that the results are unclear, a referee will specify that he/she needs to use the recording to determine the results and will let those be known at a later time.

I don’t agree with the decision of a referee, what can I do?

In case you don’t agree with the decision of a referee, you are free to let your dispute be known to one of them. They will further review the results with your considerations in mind, and will announce any new results if applicable.
RetroOlympics13 Sep, 2022 15:28
Feel free to leave any questions below if things need more clarifcation - or send a DM to RetroOlympics
Kingsombra13 Sep, 2022 20:35
Really looking forward to this. I hope we will get some serious competition. :)

Ghal41613 Sep, 2022 21:59
Badass! Looking forward to this :)
Gamechamp13 Sep, 2022 23:03
:>
TheoVellum14 Sep, 2022 03:33
Oooooh! This means if Gamechamp enters we might be on the same team for a while! It'll be fun playing alongside the one who beat me last year!
DaniloZlatan21 Sep, 2022 18:35
Eu sou brasileirooo com muito orgulhooo, com muito amooor...
AlexGatao21 Sep, 2022 22:46
ue
RetroOlympics23 Sep, 2022 15:06
Signups will be closing on October 2, Sunday!

Thanks to everyone for the positive responses so far. A few questions have reached our inbox, so some additional notes to clarify:

• A webcam / microphone are not required. The only thing you will be streaming is your screen/emulator in the RA Discord.
• Although a competition, players of all skill level are welcome, this is a community event.
• If your country doesn't meet the member criteria, you are still able to join the competition. Players from these teams will be merged with other small teams.
RetroOlympics23 Sep, 2022 15:11
Additionally, some countries are close to complete their 1st, 2nd or more teams, and need just a player or two to complete the teams. Examples of these are:

• England
• France
• Portugal
• Chile
• Spain
• The Netherlands

We'd love to have more players from all around the world, so wether you are from one of the countries above, a small country or a major participant such as the US (which is nearing their 4th/5th team) or Brasil - Make sure to sign up before October 2nd!
TairyHesticlesIV23 Sep, 2022 19:41(Edited 23 Sep, 2022 23:31)
Ohhh this is gonna be juicy.
FabinSS23 Sep, 2022 19:56
Invited, and I'm in. Hope I can do my best!
Akai24 Sep, 2022 13:56
This sounds incredibly fun! I'll enjoy watching the matches. Unfortunately I'm expecting to be visiting my parents for a while, and moving shortly thereafter around that time, otherwise I'd join myself.

Good luck everyone! :D
RetroOlympics25 Sep, 2022 18:19
It's unfortunate timing Akai, but looking forward to potentially see you compete next year!
Kingsombra27 Sep, 2022 20:03
Our Team Germany only needs one more player to max out to 5. If anyone is interested, we would really appreciate it.

You must log in before you can join this conversation.