QATeam
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 01:38
Last Edit: 10 Sep, 2021 01:38

A bit of a slower week though we have 5-6 issues pending

Demoted Achievement
Achievement is a glitch

Demoted Set

This report is too accurate to not just include
"1. From a design and code standpoint, the set needs an entire overhaul.
2. The bulk of the set consists of casting basic moves as each character. None of them have demo protection, and you can earn all of them by idling on the title screen.
3. I initially thought the item collection achievements were erroneously using 8-bit instead of the proper flags, but upon actual review, the address being used to check for what items you've collected is graphics-related and doesn't work consistently for achievement unlocks at all.
4. It's impossible to tell who has unlocked anything in this set legitimately. As far as I can tell, the only code change that's been made to this set since release is Hotscrock attempting to add save protection to a handful of achievements... but the addresses themselves are still causing false/no triggers."

Repaired Set
has been repaired and returned to core, thanks MarioJunior10

Set Demotion
Demoted for lack of progression, games require start to end progression as of 6 months ago

Demoted Achievement

Bad concept, badly coded. A real mess of an achievement

Protected Set
Mariojunior password/cheat protected Nintendo World Cup

Approved Alternate Set
Ecco the Dolphin (REV01) which contains 2 extra levels can be developed as a set

=============
New Developers
HolyShinx, Soulsderfuchs
Xymjak
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 06:18
Last Edit: 10 Sep, 2021 06:54

Achievement is a glitch

I'm interested to see the arguments about it. Because that thing doesn't look glitchy and looks similar to the boss skip in DarkSouls: youtu[dot]be/NVig-KuAO_A
Which many players considered as a glitch for years.
And even years later, still huge amount of players think "this is a glitch": Is the Ceaseless Discharge insta-kill glitch fixed?, Ceaseless Discharge Death Glitch, etc
affftedio
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 08:01

If no one gets Gash Bell by the time i'm free i'll probably go for it, should be an easy project
Arekdias
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 08:48
Last Edit: 10 Sep, 2021 08:49

Given the fact that the game even plays victory fanfare after you kick the rat off screen I am pretty sure that either developers were aware of this or outright intended it to be another way to finish that level. As Xymjak said it doesn't really look like a glitch .
JAM
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 12:25

For me it doesn't looks like a glitch too. If you destroy the bomb normally then the rat will just fall and quickly return after the new bomb is set. You are not dealing sufficient damage to the rat so there is a logic with that. But if you perform "the fatality" then the rat will not appear and round ends immediately as you have no one to race with.

Anyway, I'd like to see more discussion with community and devs and less "QA team decided" for such cases. Because currently it looks like "we don't like it so we demote it".

As for since when "get +1 life from starting lives" becomes a bad concept? Achievements for finding secret live if these one exists in the game would be better or checking for current lives = delta + 1. The set itself isn't very good, but calling this achievements "bad concept" for no reason? Meh...
QATeam
Posted: 10 Sep, 2021 14:18
Last Edit: 10 Sep, 2021 14:25

affftedio
If no one gets Gash Bell by the time i'm free i'll probably go for it, should be an easy project

Worth noting that we intend to make it available for DevQuest. While there is no guarantee it'd still be unclaimed by the time you earn full developer status, you could put a hold on it until you're able to earn credit towards quests.

Xymjak
I'm interested to see the arguments about it. Because that thing doesn't look glitchy and looks similar to the boss skip in DarkSouls

Arekdias
Given the fact that the game even plays victory fanfare after you kick the rat off screen I am pretty sure that either developers were aware of this or outright intended it to be another way to finish that level. As Xymjak said it doesn't really look like a glitch .

JAM
For me it doesn't looks like a glitch too. If you destroy the bomb normally then the rat will just fall and quickly return after the new bomb is set. You are not dealing sufficient damage to the rat so there is a logic with that. But if you perform "the fatality" then the rat will not appear and round ends immediately as you have no one to race with.

The main thing that would lead people to believe that it isn't an intentional mechanic is the fact that the rats' sprite bugs out after you kill one and turns into the corpse of the stage boss. It was also fixed for some of the ports.

JAM
since when "get +1 life from starting lives" becomes a bad concept? Achievements for finding secret live if these one exists in the game would be better or checking for current lives = delta + 1. The set itself isn't very good, but calling this achievements "bad concept" for no reason? Meh...

Achievements for finding extra lives aren't forbidden on their own, but this one was coded and worded in such a dubious manner that it ceased to be the challenge it was presumably meant to be. If someone wishes to pose a revision for a proper replacement, they are free to do so.

JAM
Anyway, I'd like to see more discussion with community and devs and less "QA team decided" for such cases.

This is exactly what we have been doing for achievements that don't necessarily break developer CoC or are more open to interpretation.

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account