login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Super Mario Land

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 04 May, 2019 12:09
Last Edit: 04 May, 2019 12:10
I've added toruzz graphic overhaul Hack Super Mario Land DX to the Whitelist to test the compatibility.

The RAM seems to be compatible and everything has been triggered correctly so far except for which unlocked by entering the Stage (it did trigger correctly in the Original) so i looked into it and the difference is in the Original the Coins don't count until you are in the upper area of Stage 1-3, in the Hack the Coins count outside of the upper area of Stage 1-3.

So if you want to have full compatibility, you will have to adjust the code in a bit which shouldn't be to difficult using Alts.

I will remove the MD5 of the Hack 'b45f850d25943a636d9999f90a2bbaa8' once i am done with testing the few cheevos i haven't unlocked yet, which should work as its parent code from already existing cheevos that worked correctly just with different values, but you never know.

For those who are sensitive over the smallest details, go ahead and remove the MD5. If you want full compatibility then you know what do to.

Posted: 04 May, 2019 13:02
Thanks for your comment. :)

Well, I see how I feel. :)

Erm, ya, the hack changed because of new version (just improvement). :)

Posted: 04 May, 2019 13:35
@: Hello, I have unlocked every cheevo now and everything worked correctly as expected, except i've mentioned earlier (triggered by entering Stage 1-3), so if you want to make it fully compatible (i am sure many users would be happy) so you only have to adjust this one.

Nice cheevos, maybe needs a bit nerfing by increasing the time from 80 to 90 as it sort of requires frame-point accuracy (just my opinion).

Posted: 04 May, 2019 21:05
Great set. Not so easy I get everything in one sitting but not so hard it doesn't feel impossible. Good balance imo. Going to enjoy taking my time with the last few achievements. It was one of the games I played a ton on my original brick.

Posted: 05 May, 2019 06:51
Last Edit: 05 May, 2019 09:46
Well...i manage to beat "Easton Speedrun" time now with 79 and 80 seconds.Still think it`s not right. :) It`s not about time, it`s about only one try...

UPDATE.

OK. Now i am trying "Easton Speedrun" on hardcore, and man that`s absolute unfair. It`s not about time anymore. You can just slipery on the first pipe, and BANG, do 6 level again. Control in this game not so good after all.

I think this achievement belong to Bonus set, or we need 100 seconds for hard mode.

I still get it in 80 seconds sooner or later. But this is so much no fun.

Sorry for rant guys. ;)

Posted: 05 May, 2019 10:36
Last Edit: 26 Mar, 2020 10:04
Deleted

Posted: 05 May, 2019 11:39
Last Edit: 05 May, 2019 11:40
Yeah, Braek, i use you tips, thanks a lot! :) but still train stability. I can beat two times in row in softcore, but then i change to hardcore mode, i can slipery or don`t pixel perfect jump...and then back to 1-1. And after this it`s hard to pull yorself for playing one more time.

And my best time is still 79 seconds. Even with bullet trick sometimes i can get to the end with 81 or 82 seconds.

Recenly, on the other hand, i mastered SML2: 6 golden coins. There is a lot of speedruns in this game, but it`s challenging, not frustrating. You need to beat last level with 3 sub-bosses, and 3 form of Wario in 350 seconds. You need to be pixel perfect everywhere...but you`ve got infinite tries. I think it must be working that way.)

Posted: 05 May, 2019 12:56
Using a save state to practice is a great idea. Still probably within frustrating but fair territory though. If the stages were longer, then it would be more of an issue. It doesn't take long to get back there. I wouldn't keep trying it over and over though. A few tries a day and move on kind of thing.

Posted: 06 May, 2019 12:05
Man, i give up...2 weeks on this cheevo and no result. I can do it 3 times in row on savestate, but when i changed on the hardcore this game beat me. I can fall from the first pipe or bullet trick just not work all the time. This cheevo is cruel and unfair. And most sad part of this, that many, many people take it easily buy the glitch...And why this cheevo desription "under" 80 seconds? Why other in "in 50, 70, 90". It`s crazy...

One try per day for now. But i don`t think i can take it.

Posted: 06 May, 2019 13:50
The problem with the Speedrun Cheevos is that the Checkpoint can't be avoided like for example in Super Mario World. This detail kills it despite of the difficulty.

Posted: 06 May, 2019 13:56
I got within one second on hardcore today, but that's the closest I've got. You do have a bit of leeway for mistakes, but not much. I have made it in about 72-73 seconds on a nearly perfect run without skipping the second spike pit for example. Where I have failed on most attempts is slipping off that single ? block towards the bullet bill. No recovering from that.

No shame in taking it slow.

Posted: 06 May, 2019 17:25
Well guys, i get it on hardcore. 79 seconds. (my best time is 77 seconds)

Like BleuSkie said, i taking it slow, no rush after all. Place where i lost a lot of seconds it`s ? block (with mushroom) near bullet bill, because is still easy to slippery.

Even i granted this cheevo in hardcore, i still votig for removing it from set, or increase time to 90,95, or 100 seconds, because it`s to much for most players, and they just drop this good game with not mastered at all.

P.S. Can someone answer me about "Chai Speedrun"? Can i get 90 seond on hard mode via stage select?

Posted: 06 May, 2019 17:34
Yeah you can, that's how I did it

Just be sure to get the hidden mushroom so that you can take damage in the corridor filled with pirhana plants (youtube ftw)

Posted: 06 May, 2019 18:56
Last Edit: 06 May, 2019 18:57
A method to make this work with the unavoidable Checkpoints is to split the timer into two counters, one from Start to Checkpoint and second one from Checkpoint to Exit. Once you reach the Exit both counters will be combined with addhits as the time always resets to default when you die. This would allow multiple retries and make this cheevo easier to handle while keeping the difficulty sort of similar, just don't use Reset or it will break the cheevo. A screenshot of the exact Checkpoint location can be posted in the forums for those who want to get the fastest time possible.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account