Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

RAGens is being retired

Page: 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 15 May, 2020 01:14
RAGens (our standalone MegaDrive/Genesis emulator) is being retired.

Anyone who has used it knows that it has its issues (most notably the controller configuration dialog hangs). And as we are moving forward evolving the tools to create achievements, some other issues are appearing.

RAGens is based on an old emulator that is no longer maintained. As we have alternatives (RetroArch for players, and RALibretro for both players and achievement creators), we're not going to spend our time and effort fixing RAGens issues.

As a result, the staff have agreed that it's time to move on. With the 0.78 RAIntegration release, RAGens will start warning users that it is no longer supported. The download link has already been removed, but players can continue to use RAGens until the 0.79 DLL is released (which will be several months later). At that time, RAGens will no longer be allowed to connect to the server.

If you have cartridge saves that you wish to transfer, copy the srm files in the RAGens/sram folder into the RetroArch/saves folder.

You can also copy them to the RALibretro/saves folder, but you have to change the "srm" extension to "md.sram" (i.e. "Phantasy Star IV (U).md.sram"). You may have to enable the "show file extensions" setting to do this.

Save State files are not compatible and cannot be transferred to either of the alternatives.

Posted: 15 May, 2020 01:47
F

Posted: 15 May, 2020 02:17
F stands for
finally the site is evolving

Posted: 15 May, 2020 02:53
Last Edit: 15 May, 2020 03:44
RAGens is based on an old emulator that is no longer maintained
What stopping you from creating RAGens 1.0 based on modern version of emulator like you did with RANES and RASNES? Gens officially ends at version 2.11 with multiple branches started and it's indeed pretty old. Few of them (maybe there are more) are Gens+ and Gens Re-recording (based on Gens+). I'd say it's the same Gens but with modern features such as 32-bit color, customizable hotkeys (no longer game reset is on Tab only), fullscreens resolution in options, screenshots in .PNG and many others. Also, no flashing at all.

Have you at least tried of making RAGens based on these ones? If not, please do. Both version are open sourced as far as I know.

Posted: 15 May, 2020 03:29
it's too much effort for not enough reward. You can make an updated RAGens 1.0 and keep it updated yourself if you wish, but Jamiras is only one guy and has better things to do than solve annoying integration bugs in an emulator everyone agrees is shit anyway.

Posted: 15 May, 2020 03:34
also thank god that trash can finally join RAPCE in the Recycle Bin

Posted: 15 May, 2020 03:46
F

Posted: 15 May, 2020 03:52
Yeah honestly never knew that was a thing but Rip

Posted: 15 May, 2020 03:56
Blaze is spot on.

Posted: 15 May, 2020 04:32
hope monkeytoung finishes ramelon soon...

Posted: 15 May, 2020 04:33
RALibreto is enough, I don't use standalone emulators anymore.
Keep up the good work, Jamiras.

Posted: 15 May, 2020 06:02
That thing crashed a million times when I made my Aero 2 set, good riddance

Posted: 15 May, 2020 07:50
RAGens has a problem in setting up control (which needs to be done only once), as well as several other minor problems. RALibretro and RetroArch also exist for a long time (and they also have some of their problems), but before that it did not interfere from coexisting with RAGens. And some developers and players chose to use RAGens, including me. And there are reasons for this.

I will explain my motives why I prefer to use RAGens rather than any of the alternatives.

RetroArch is only suitable for the game and does not contain any developer features. In other words, if I encounter a bug in any achievement, then I can’t try to better understand what exactly caused the error, even if I have time for this, and therefore it is more likely that I will provide less information on the ticket than I could. Also RetroArch does not inform you about the release of a new version of the emulator or core. Not just not requiring, but not even notifying that a new version is available.

For some reason, RALibretro on my laptop works at a very high speed as standard, which makes the game unplayable. Although the problem is rare, it exists for a very long time and I wrote about it in a discord, but no correction of this problem was made. Sometime in January of this year, I first saw information on a similar problem in the discord, and there I also found a way to get around this problem - I need to change the sound output device before starting the emulator (I personally switched the sound output to dualshock). This allowed me to start the game on this emulator at normal speed and start developing a set for the PS1 game (for which there is no alternative emulator for development), but I had to do this change in the sound output before each launch of this emulator. And when I forgot to do this, I had to close the emulator, change the sound output and start the emulator again. What obviously cannot be called a convenient way of emulation. Because of this one factor, developing a set with it was much more exhausting.

Compared with the above minuses of RALibretro and RetroArch, in my particular case, RAGens is many times more convenient and practical emulator than both available alternatives despite all its minor problems.

And speaking of the problem of control settings in RAGens, do not forget also about the unique advantage of this emulator in terms of control settings. What other RA emulator allows the display of the achievements menu to be put on pressing the touchpad of the dualshock?

Posted: 15 May, 2020 15:01
The OP is saying that he is not going to spend time on RAGens, but if there's a programmer interested to put their time on it, here's the: https://github.com/RetroAchievements/RAEmus/tree/master/RAGens

Posted: 15 May, 2020 21:19
This is fine with me. RAGens was horrible. Gens as a emulator was decent back in the day, but there are better Genesis/Megadrive emus these days.
Page: 1 2 3 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account