Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 24 Jun, 2014 02:11 by

1. Battletoads (USA).nes
Battletoads (U) [!].nes
Battletoads (1991-06)(Tradewest)(US).nes
V14-/V15+ RA Checksum: eefac97ac3b85048f3685e1623210efb
ROM Checksum: bbafead19c25b38a5a129bb8c51aaf8d
CRC32 Checksum: BA9164E7

Plus 1 unique ROM Checksum variations with the same V14- RA Checksum (2 total)
Battletoads (U) {[o1]}
Battletoads (1991-06)(Tradewest)(US){[h Vimm][iNES title]}

(unlinked - do not relink)
2. Battletoads (Europe).nes
Battletoads (E) [!].nes
Battletoads (1993-02-18)(Tradewest)(EU).nes
V14-/V15+ RA Checksum: dbf8909b943ab0f7ed0f210ce85fafaf
ROM Checksum: 8b9e2b0389b745e4e59a7170198b4056
CRC32 Checksum: CF4C2E09

3. Battletoads (Japan).nes
Battletoads (J) [!].nes
Battletoads (1991-12-20)(Nihon Computer System)(JP).nes
V14-/V15+ RA Checksum: 318d9c03fb183f6f8cd2fc89fdd0dbb2
ROM Checksum: 90dbb091e53eb13b7ae25d48154e80e9
CRC32 Checksum: 0500BFBF

Resources:
GameFAQs
Longplay
Wikipedia

JAM
Posted: 21 Jan, 2018 10:06
Added 1 leaderboard. Finish the game with most lives.
Double purpose:
1. Reward the players who can beat the game with 20 lives or more.
2. Show the actual lives when it's 5+.

JAM
Posted: 03 Feb, 2019 12:24
Unlinked (J) and (E) versions. Only (U), only hardcore.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 18 Feb, 2019 00:08
I hope later that you do not think bad if you see someone cheating to mastered this game, will you be poorer or less rich if you link the achievements to the Japanese rom ?
Honestly I would like very much to know what the problem in this, since the Japanese rom does not have the terrible bugs that are in the American rom.

JAM
Posted: 18 Feb, 2019 00:24
will you be poorer or less rich if you link the achievements to the Japanese rom
My opinion is to not to play the version made for retards. Proof yourself and master the version for the real men.

I'll just add more achievements later and possibly demote all "Beat the stage" cheevos as most of players already did them on Japanese version. So everyone will have to do them again but only using USA version. Revision plan in progress. Also, I have no idea what kind of terrible bugs USA version have. Lose control in Clinger Winger for 2nd player? There are no cheevos for 2 players in this set.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 18 Feb, 2019 01:51
Do as you want, the interesting is that using the "compare with any user" function, I see that you did not do much more than I did in this game, and then you still do not know the bugs in the game, not only Clinger Winger, but also jump was improved, and in Turbo Tunnel does not die when jumping with the car, for these and other reasons the runners only play in the Japanese version.

kdecks
Posted: 18 Feb, 2019 05:50
From the cutting room floor:

> The game received a massive amount of level adjustments between the US/European version and the Japanese version. Many enemies were removed, obstacles were replaced, and bosses were nerfed in the Japanese version, making this brutal game significantly easier overall in Japan.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 18 Feb, 2019 16:59
This is not a reason to remove the achievements of other versions, in their countries many have learned to finish this game in the Japanese version as a child, the game not have infinite continues, so I still can not see what the problem in this.

HippopotamusRex
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 00:17
If you want you can have a separate set for Battletoads US and Battletoads JP since they're effectively two different games with the level of difficulty changes.

Just leave the current set as the JP one and create a new one for Battletoads US. It's got so much instant death and the error forgiveness is so low that anyone who did the JP set in the US version can easily do it again as its own new set.

Maybe this idea would work for Mad City and Bayou Billy too. I don't know if they ever got linked but it's the same idea of two vastly different games under one title.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 03:32
this seems to be a lot better than just leaving in the American version, it's almost the same as saying "fuck you if you do not know the game" is true what it says about having some enemies and obstacles removed in Japanese, but at least you can jump in peace without worrying about falling into an abyss for bugs, there is no way, the American version is trash and poorly made.

JAM
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 06:04
Last Edit: 19 Feb, 2019 06:05

If american version is trash and bugged and whatsoever just don't play it. And yes this game is one of these kind of games "fuck you if you don't know the game". Check the average time to beat the game at GameFaqs. This is how long you must play to just beat the game without saves.

I can compare my progress with yours but looks like you beat only the half of the game while I beat 2 more levels. But looks like you know more about the game, isn't it?

kdecks
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 13:18
Regional differences between ROMs is a complex problem because no two games with regional differences are alike. The topic is something that is discussed and debated in the dev channels quite often.

The general goals are to keep regional versions on the same entry if at all possible (to avoid many duplicate entries) and to have an even difficulty level between versions as much as possible (this can often be achieved by adding certain restrictions). And while we do want support for as many [J] ROMs as we can our database the reference here is [U], no-intro first.

Even what I've said here is just the tip of the iceberg on this problem, but I don't want to stray too much from the topic of Battletoads.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 19:48
In this same topic we have an admin of the site, and also one of the best players of the same, who was one of the first to mastered the game as he launched the set, none of them has the same arrogance that you have in wanting to determine/oblige everybody to play only one of three existing versions, and among we 4 you have the worst performance, you NOT have the right to ban JP version as you are doing.

And yes, my performance in this game is only going halfway, since it can only play with bugs, even someone as you can go further than me.

JAM
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 21:31
GRANDMASTER OF THE MONTH afraids to play fair. What a shame. Alright. We have admin in the topic. I'll do what he say. My opinion for now that "do a bonus set for (U) version that no one will ever play" is a bad idea. So, maybe revision later with (J) version support but with more challenges for (U) version only.

I have the worst perfomance, yes. But you have the worst retro ratio meaning you're playing the easiest games from 4 of us.

MarioJunior10
Posted: 19 Feb, 2019 22:22
I believe that the idea of ‚Äč‚Äčthis site is always to evolve over time, and never to involute, I would still prefer that (J) to be linked to the current set and only, but I do not see your idea as bad.

My Ratio is "liar" to my performance, for example, a lot of people have mastered Ninja Gaiden and Street Fighter before me, so their achievements are considered easy, if you master them your Ratio will decrease, and I left many games with 96% progression, this helps to lower even more.
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account