Forgot password?
login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

AOTW #13 + Last Week For Chrono Trigger (Aot2W)

AuthorMessage

StingX2
Posted: 06 May, 2014 14:16
Last Edit: 12 May, 2014 16:24
Each week a new achievement will be chosen. Some weeks we will do achievements on obscure underplayed games and other weeks the challenge will be the hardest in that game's entire set.

If you can get the achievement you win 1 point towards the just for fun leaderboard, 2 for earning it on hardcore! (You Also must earn it in this week to get the point)

Scott: "Can I add - if you already have this achievement and want to enter the competition, please visit your settings page (www.retroachievements.org/controlpanel.php) and remove the achievement from your account first. You will find the option to remove individual achievements from your account under "reset game progress", first pick the game (Power Blade/Chrono Trigger), then the achievement ('Lord of the Power Blade/Toxic Avenger'). This will allow you to re-earn the achievement this week! Good luck all!"

This Week's Achievement: ALL THE NUTS! HA HA HA! by jackolantern

AND

OUR 2ND TWO WEEKER: Toxic Avenger by cirellio

Current Leaderboard
STHX: 30
RyanRJ: 28
Philintheblanks: 26
popoki: 28
dude1286: 20
fluttershy: 20
cirellio: 16
msdmario: 12
SexyChazz: 10
yoyo: 8
jackolantern: 6
blackzwolf: 6
sebax: 6
scootaloo: 6
UNHchabo: 6
MK2k: 6
TrainerAbu: 5
AxelNL: 4
Mctavish: 4
Rhadamanthys: 4
Coczero: 4
rdannylor: 4
Scott: 2
Astrophil: 2
rubixcube: 2
Fernandes: 2
JonnyRetro: 2
StingX2: 2
Gaians: 2
denine: 2
mickeyt: 2
darkluigi3000: 2

#1 Kirby Victors: Philintheblanks, rdannylor, Mctavish, Astrophil, SexyChazz, Rhadamanthys, AxelNL, rubixcube, Fernandes, STHX, dude1286, RyanRJ, popoki, JonnyRetro, TrainerAbu, jackolantern, Coczero, Scott

#2 Ducktales Victors: Philintheblanks, AxelNL, Mctavish, SexyChazz, RyanRJ, popoki, Rhadamanthys, Coczero, dude1286, STHX, rdannylor, yoyo, TrainerAbu, cirellio, Fluttershy,

#3 Mickey Victors: Philintheblanks, RyanRJ, STHX, SexyChazz, dude1286, popoki, MK2K, cirellio, fluttershy, yoyo, TrainerAbu (normal)

#4 Star Fox: cirellio, yoyo, RyanRJ, STHX, jackolantern, dude1286, Philinthebanks, UNHchabo, Sexychazz, popoki

#5 Metroid 2: yoyo, Philinthebanks, StingX2, dude1286, RyanRJ, STHX, popoki, fluttershy, msdmario, sexychazz, unchabo, cirellio

#6 Fantasy Zone: Fluttershy, popoki, StingX2 (normal), philinthebanks, dude1286, STHX, msdmario (normal), Gaians, Cirellio, RyanRJ

#7 Mega Man X: denine, Philinthebanks, RyanRJ, Popoki, dude1286, STHX, Fluttershy, cirellio, msdmario (normal)

#8 Revolution X: Philinthebanks, STHX, dude1286, popoki, RyanRJ

#9 Valis: mickeyt, ryanrj, dude1286, scootaloo, popoki, fluttershy, sebax, sthx, philinthebanks, msdmario, jackolantern, blackzwolf,

#10 Sonic 1: MK2k, Blackzwolf, msdmario, popoki, fluttershy, philinthebanks, sthx, ryanrj

#11 Mario 1: Blackzwolf, Sebax, fluttershy, scootaloo, ryanrj, popoki, unhchabo, msdmario, sthx, mk2k, philintheblanks, darkluigi3000

#12 Power Blade: RyanRJ, STHX, PhilintheBlanks, popoki

#13 Mr Nutz: RyanRJ, STHX

-----
Long 2 Weekers
#1 Oracle of Ages: scootaloo, dude1286, sebax, msdmario, fluttershy, philinthebanks, sthx, ryanrj, popoki

#2 Chrono Trigger : Fluttershy, cirellio, popoki, STHX

popoki
Posted: 07 May, 2014 19:08
Grabbed the Toxic Avenger.. Whew that was some hardcore CT cramming the last few days but since it's one of my favorite games of all time that's not a bad thing <3

Now to try and finish that dumb squirrel game!

RyanRJ
Posted: 08 May, 2014 02:00
I can get 100% in every level on Mr. Nutz except level 2. I can only get 97% and I've looked up and down

popoki
Posted: 08 May, 2014 13:33
Okay, yeah, Mr. Nutz for GB is a game that it seems like no one on the planet has ever played; there are no walkthroughs, no 100% let's plays and most importantly NO MAPS which is honestly required for something like this to be done in a week. Otherwise you're asking us to dedicate *many hours* of our lives to finding every single little hidden piece of trash in this entire game -- and I just spent a good hour or more of mine playing and replaying world 1, finding many completely out-of-the-way bonus areas being as thorough as humanly possible, only to get a score of 75% completion at the end and that's just *world one*. And this is on top of possibly the most time-consuming possible 2-weeker you could come up with considering the consoles supported on this site, beating all of Crono Trigger and being strong enough to slay the last boss with the weakest weapon on the main char.

Yeah like -- this whole aotw thing has gone from a really fun gimmick to just way, *WAY* too time-consuming. I mean, I have only the rest of the day to do the AOTW this week anyway since I'm leaving early tomorrow morning until next week, but even if I had the whole rest of the week I don't think I'd wanna do this Mr. Nutz thing. It's not a bad game, really, I like the physics and gamefeel a lot for a platformer, but what you're asking us to do with absolutely no maps or anything to aid us is ridiculous, on top of the 2-weeker, if we hope to do anything else at all with any ounce of our free time this whole week. It should have been 100%ing World 1 or just beating the game.

And on top of that, like how I voted for the 2-weekers being monthers instead? Yeah, if you're gonna be pulling crap like this CT one they absolutely should be monthers. I've beaten that game most likely more than anyone else on this site, know it inside and out (and I probably have more free time right now than anyone else on this site as well) and I sat there holding turbo mode the whole damn time and it took me 4 and a half complete, solid days, like sunup to sundown, to do it. That's a lot, A LOT to ask any normal person to do in 2 weeks.

Now I know it's not the end of the world if someone misses one single one of these and only 4 of us on the whole site have been keeping up with them all anyway, but I dunno man, this kinda thing feels completely pointless to me if I don't do every single one of them, and now I know I'm gonna miss one so it really kills my enthusiasm for the whole thing. Maybe if you can implement some kind of system in the future where you can like buy themes on the site or sound effects for the login/achievement earned/etc. noises on the emulators or SOMETHING with your earned points, so there's a reason to do these besides being on top, but otherwise I dunno man... I feel really bummed out but I mean there's literally no way I'm gonna be able to do this mr. nutz thing and I don't feel like slaving over it today to even try.

RyanRJ
Posted: 08 May, 2014 13:54
Last Edit: 08 May, 2014 18:23
Perhaps I may be of some assistance? :)

I also wasn't able to find any kind of help for Mr. Nutz, and I decided to make a guide. I've probably spent about 8 hours this week combing through this annoying game and I haven't even started Chrono Trigger yet as a result. I'll get on that today, I guess.

This one's for you, popoki :)

Okay, so this isn't perfect. I wish I named the rooms, since they all have names, but I didn't. Maybe when I play through it again, I'll edit this.

There are lots of hidden exits in this game. If you take a regular exit, you will go right to the next section of the level. If you take a hidden exit, no text will come up, as it's an extra room before the next section. You'll know you've found the hidden exit if no text pops up when you take it. If you need help finding a hidden exit, I can help, but they aren't toooo hard to find.

Room 1 in Woody Land, for example, has 31 coins between the regular part of the stage and the hidden area (which is found by jumping into a random broken treestump. Found this one by accident after looking a long time). I wish I broke them down even more, but it's still decent.

Edit: Forgot to mention that each number is a running total

Edit 2: OKAY. This is complete!! I just got the badge on hardcore and added explanations of where the hidden exits are, and coin totals for every room! Remember, they are a running tally, so you will have 313 by the end of level 1.

1 - Woody Land - 100%
Room 1 - 8 (hidden area <in a tree stump>) - 31
Room 2 - 100 (hidden area <upper exit above the regular exit on top of trees>) - 120
Room 3 - 199 (hidden area <lower exit underneath regular one. take steps down and go left and make a jump>) - 215
Room 4 - 313
Boss

2 - Adventure Park - 100%
Room 1 - 61 (hidden area <in the mouth of a tree>) - 81
Room 2 - 205
Room 3 - 263
Room 4 - 311 (hidden area <lower right pit has hidden path to exit>) - 346
Room 5 - 373
Room 6 - 404
Room 7 - 404
Boss

3 - The Living Room - 100%
Room 1 - 6
Room 2 - 6 (hidden area <hop on bees up and left>) - 178
Room 3 - 199
Room 4 - 252 (hidden area <in a sewer grate at the end - go up and left from regular exit>) - 453
Room 5 - 480
Room 6 - 510
Room 7 - 523 (hidden area <jump up and right from the last soap>) - 551
Boss

4 - Volcano Underpass - 100%
Room 1 - 53 (hidden area <upper right area has a hidden block and exit>) - 76
Room 2 - 107 (hidden area <upper right path has hidden blocks leading up>) - 151
Room 3 - 177 (hidden area <drop underneath regular exit to the right - platform with caterpillar>) -248
Boss

5 - Mean Streets - 100 %
Room 1 - 75 (hidden area <near the end, there is a tree you can land on, go left into door>) - 374
Room 2 - 418 (hidden area <near the end, there is another tree to land on, go right into door>) - 423
Room 3 - 450
Boss

6 - Ice Scream - 100%
Room 1: 0
Room 2: 104
Room 3 - 104
Room 4 - 179 (hidden area <hidden block right before the exit. jump up and right to an exit on top of it>) - 202
Room 5 - 212 (hidden area <after hopping up the ice blocks on the right near the end, get on the platform and jump up and to the right for more hidden blocks>) - 243
Boss

PhilInTheBlanks
Posted: 08 May, 2014 15:18
Bah.... This may be the week where I fall out of the perfect club... Chrono I can manage, even though it's taking a whole lot more time than planned, but Mr Nutz is just frustrating. I wonder if anyone will get this one, though Ryan looks like he's well on his way

Scott
Posted: 08 May, 2014 15:46
Win by 0 of 0 players lol hmm... is this even possible in a week? To be fair even if nobody gets it, popoki you're still in 1st place

Scott
Posted: 08 May, 2014 15:48
Last Edit: 08 May, 2014 15:51
But I agree btw popoki, there should be a reward for your expert game playing... leave it with me, I'll sort something out for you top players :)

Edit: also, there's one recommendation, one guide for using RA - if it's not fun, don't do it. We do however need some way to distinguish you top 4 players? Sting what do you reckon?

cirellio
Posted: 08 May, 2014 17:03
Last Edit: 08 May, 2014 18:31
We all respect each other as players, here. I've learned to stop stressing and worrying about score and just focus on other things, like making achievements, etc. And it was actually a very good feeling to let go and be casual. (Compare to the life of a hardcore raiding guild, which can get very stressful until you learn to stop caring if your stats and equipment aren't up-to-the-minute latest gear and start having fun instead!)

I will argue that Chrono Trigger doesn't take four days of fast-forwarding to pull off Toxic Avenger. If the player is doing additional out-of-the-way things like earning all the dolls, winning all the cats, etc, none of that is required for this achievement, at all.
-Start a New Game or New Game+
-Charm a Nu (to get a Mop)
-Defeat Lavos
-Crono may have the weakest weapon, but we should be using magic for all but the final few hits anyway, and the other two members are sporting their strongest weapons and equipments.
I'd argue a run focused on that achievement should take 2 days or less.

Nobody will judge us if we don't manage to reverse-engineer Mr. Nutz before the deadline, though! And this is turning into a positive: We are now the home of possibly the most comprehensive Mr. Nutz guide on the internet. ^_^

RyanRJ
Posted: 08 May, 2014 17:57
Last Edit: 08 May, 2014 17:58
And now it's even more comprehensive! *collapses*

cirellio, that is a great post with a lot of insight. :) Your streamlined guide should help me get the cheevo before the weekend is over, hopefully!

And I agree in that this is just for fun. It'll sting to miss one, but it's not the end of the world! We're all good gamers and the points don't mean anything at the end of the day!

Oh, and I should mention that the 100% Adventure Woods cheev doesn't pop, sadly.

jackolantern
Posted: 08 May, 2014 18:00
Last Edit: 09 May, 2014 16:08
Hey Ryan, I fixed the cheevo and awarded it too you, You can't get all the nuts coins without getting that one. It was a simple mistake of 16bit rather then 8bit.

*edit*
Nuts on the brain.

RyanRJ
Posted: 08 May, 2014 18:03
Awesome, thank you! :)

STHX
Posted: 12 May, 2014 15:16
Almost lost all hope to do it, but both Toxic Avenger and all the nuts are done on hardcore. If it weren't for RyanRJ's guide there is no way I could have done it, and it's always worth to replay CT.

Scootaloo
Posted: 12 May, 2014 21:59
I've cleared Mr Nutz achievement on hardcore,thanks Ryan for the guide! It was very helpful. ;)
I didn't have too much time to clear CT unfortunately.

RyanRJ
Posted: 12 May, 2014 23:48
Last Edit: 12 May, 2014 23:53
Thanks, guys :) I'm glad it helped!

I just got Toxic Avenger on hardcore! :D

This was the most taxing week in AotW everrrrrrr

CT is a much more engrossing and longer game than I remembered!

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account