CRC32 Checksum: 292080AE

Resources:
GameFAQs
Longplay
Wikipedia

MaddieKittyTV
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 04:05
Ok, Cool

I LOVE Cave Story and there's a homebrew on the Genesis?

AWESOME!!!!!

caricatur
Posted: 01 Apr, 2019 22:04
Last Edit: 24 Apr, 2019 12:12
I would like to work on this. Cooperation is welcome. This was one of my favorite games some years back. All work was done by one person.

This game deserves creative achievements, so the more the merrier.
If you are interested in collaboration, let me know!

Also, if you have ideas for achievements you would like to see, please share.

I'm not 100% sure the post game hell level is included in this. (update: it is)

update: Typical Achievements you would expect for the game have all been coded. A few challenges not in the steam set have been included as well. What remains is winnowing through and excluding or modifying certain achievements. Some no damage/etc challenges for early bosses have been added as well

The game is complete and includes the full hell level as well as the title screen change after getting a record under a certain time in sacred grounds. Unfortunately, it seems to load from the save file. Could not find a value in ram. Music also seems not to be played using ram.

75 Achievements currently coded. A few dozen challenges remain, whether to use leaderboards or alternative means has yet to be decided.

meleu
Posted: 01 Apr, 2019 23:31
Last Edit: 01 Apr, 2019 23:32
I'm also a big fan of this game and would love to see achievements for it.

However... This homebrew is still a work in progress, and the developer releases a new ROM as the development evolves. Which means that we can't assure the "Code Notes" will be at the same addresses between different versions (the md5 hash will also change, but it's a minor concern).

You can see the list of (pre)releases here: https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md/releases

kdecks
Posted: 02 Apr, 2019 00:14
Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2019 02:49

caricatur
Posted: 08 May, 2019 13:49
Last Edit: 02 Jun, 2019 20:32
Not much has changes since last update. Just decided not to wait anymore. Usually prefer to have a set complete before uploading anything to unofficial. The titles come from the steam achievement set for the most part. This set supplements many things not present in the steam set like and which really should have been part of that set.

I was hoping to get a bit more feedback before publishing, esp regarding steam titles.

Some leaderboards may not be possible, and i may program them as achievements. Or not.

The set currently includes some (easy) challenges like and . Some are mutually exclusive, so either have a recent save ready or get in next run. Players familiar with the original should have a pretty good idea of what the options will be per particular run.

The set has been conceptually complete for some time, but the achievements as programmed may be a bit tame for the RA community. Newcomers should be able to enjoy. I may eventually just end up publishing the set as is, or with minor variations eventually.

Challenge achievements currently run up to the second stage. I'll have to figure if there is a way to get the other concepts implemented via leaderboard or achievement.
---
update-
I was considering releasing this long overdue set with the few additions, but ended up coding some more achievements. I am going to go through the est of the bosses and come up with some challenges to round out the set.

I also have some leaderboards up, best time for endings and best times to defeat a boss. unfortunately because of how LBs work, it is based on total game time, still not terrible. I also have some LBs planned for points related to the bosses. Unfortunately, I don't believe LBs support division so i may end up implementing a more limited version of what i imagine.

As far as achievements go, unfortunaltely until pointers are supported, even simple ones, there are achievements that cannot be coded reliably atm.

No precise eta, but hopefully i will release the set to core soon.

MaddieKittyTV
Posted: 16 May, 2019 18:52
I cant wait to play this

ShadwSonic
Posted: 05 Jun, 2019 14:30
Interesting, I didn't think a game with such a unique development cycle could be ported to an older console... I'll just leave this message so I'll be notified when the "set finished" message is posted.

caricatur
Posted: 13 Jul, 2019 02:57
Last Edit: 14 Jul, 2019 01:27
Promoted existing achievements to core.

Delayed promotion for a month due to the rescoring project that has begun.
The set has over 2x the original points.

People who played the game before should have an easy enough time at it. A few chalenges do not work reliably and were not promoted. There may be some achievements possible under the newest toolkit that were not possible before.

I may eventually re-attempt to make a scoring leaderboard for bosses, but that may have to wait until a future revision. The set has been delayed a few months for various reasons. now live.

Hope users enjoy the set.

---
For the sequential shot cheevos, they will in most cases be de facto no damage cheevos. Because of how the code works, there is a small chance that taking damage in the middle of a fight will reset the cheevo. They are supposed to be boss dominance cheevos anyway. Looks like it was not mentioned explicitly.

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account