User: 
Pass: 

Discussion about Fast Forward

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
AuthorMessage

Euclide
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:17
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 14:19
That's valid now due to the 400 point cap, but since there is a plan to eliminate it, balancing this out will either require balancing around people who use speed-up functions or allowing them to earn at faster rates.

I assume that there are more than two people around who are playing at 100% speed too.

Jamiras
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:19
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 14:22
The balancing would hopefully be based around time per point, so the set either becomes 1000 points with FF, or 1500-2000 points without it.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:19
Shmelyoff, it's less about FF helping you get achievements, and more about trying to make sure that everyone is playing the same game and having the same experience while getting the achievements. If a title has something tedious in it like a repetitive cutscene then someone who sits through it every time has had a different experience to someone who just skips it. Think about it, if they were reviewing the game, these two people might give different scores because of this. They are essentially playing different games - using FF is like playing a modded version, one that annoys you less and is less of a chore to play.

Now I think FF is fine if you're just experimenting or practising with a game, ie playing in Softcore mode. But when you're actually trying to gain achievements in Hardcore, everyone should be on the same page and playing the same game - it seems only fair.

Hotscrock
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:26
I understand your point. But everyone is free to experience the life like they wish. People who lives using sun light and campfires can't expect the others will abandon electricity just because they want :/

JAM
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:29
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 14:29
monkeytoung, you son of... Derailed the topic.
Topic is about save protection. Why everyone talking about Final Fantasy / foot fetish / fast forward?

HippopotamusRex
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:29
The FF thing is something I've brought up in the past.

Despite where anyone falls on that issue the one thing I think everyone can see is that that particular issue is a gray zone. I do think it overall is a negative thing to allow, but the way the site rules managed to land is that FF is acceptable. That's just the way it is and sometimes when things are in a gray zone they don't land on the side of the zone you want them to.

It's best not to worry about it too much and start using it if you find that it helps you out. You have to adopt a gray zone kind of mindset for a lot of the way rules come down on this site or it will personally drive you insane. Down a rabbit hole of trying to rationalize smaller and smaller exceptions until you aren't having fun anymore. There's no way to brute force an absolute answer on issues like that.

Shmelyoff
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:50
, I think you not correct. I don't care will you use FF or not, it's your own business if you want have some experience it's your right. But here we have another situation. You don't wanna use FF, you can't show any advantage that FF give, but only because your personal rules, you force other players don't use it.

Shmelyoff
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:50
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 14:51
Double post

Hotscrock
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 14:56
How about turbo controllers? :deng:

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:01
So many posts here and not a single even somewhat convincing argument for Fast-Forward to be banned from hardcore. It's safe to say that it should stay the way it is right now. Keep FF.

Thoreau
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:02
In December 15th, 2018, a poll about fast-forward was made in Discord. This was the result:

Hotscrock
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:05
Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Euclide
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:05
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 15:08
Considering no one has been able to respond to my core argument, those lazy dismissals are quite rich.

Take most posts on this page and replace FF with save states, and it won't change a thing.

Jamiras
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:09
Not sure what you think your core argument is, but I'm pretty sure I responded to this:

> To argue that one is not the same as the other is irrelevant, the point is that they both have the same effect on the global leaderboard: earning people more points than legitimate players in the same amount of time.

If you want "more points in the same amount of time", then you'd be better off avoiding games where fast forward is beneficial.

Euclide
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 15:11
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 15:18
That won't be valid without the point cap, and among games that benefit from FF a lot, the length can vary a great deal. How long is the average time to master games like DQ or early Pokemon games (not hacks)?

Fast forward also speeds up all games (some to a lesser extent), not just RPGs.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account