login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Discussion about Fast Forward

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
AuthorMessage

zephyr97
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:08
If your best argument is say 'if we were watching movies' then I have nothing else to say. That's probably the worst defense I've seen in a response to anything.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:21
Zephyr, my point is that I think games should be played at the speed they were intended to be played at. If that sounds weird then apologies!

Hotscrock
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:21
Last Edit: 15 Mar, 2019 22:25
Films can't be played and the purpose of community is create achievements for old games. Like I said before, if people wants the real experience of the game they are supposed to play at original consoles and not at modded emulators.

Earning achievements is not the way the games "were intended to be played at". If you are aiming for achievements your objectives dont follow the real original spirit of the game.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:29
The analogy to film still stands. People seem to be saying such-and-such games don't take any skill to play and they're boring and they're a huge chore to play so it's OK to fast forward through them, just to get them over and done with.
I say play them at normal speed. Listen to the music, enjoy the art, revel in the world of the game.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:34
Last Edit: 15 Mar, 2019 22:35
Hotscrock - I see your point but I've always played videogames for the 'achievement' of beating them on hard difficulty etc. way before achievements were an actual thing (Thank-you Microsoft!)
And the achievements themselves don't actually affect anything about the way the games run (to the end user at least), it all happens 'externally'. It's just a nice way of keeping a log of stuff you've done.

Hotscrock
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 22:46
I understood you. We really miss a lot of things by rushing. But that is the reflect of the world now. When I was a child seems everything used to run slower. Now it seems everyone is always late and against the clock all the time, but thats the modern life. I agree the small details of the games can be lost with fast forward, but I still think that is not against the rules, its just a personal choice. Some people prefer to have an intense and short life while others wants to take no risk to live longer. That applies to game also and thats why I think players must be free to decide how they play without being tagged as cheaters.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 23:12
Hah, way to make me feel guilty, Hotscrock! But I can't help it, I just do want to label fast-forwarders as cheaters. I've got nothing against it if someone's using it because it's the only way they can enjoy their gaming due to dreaded Real Life Shit getting in the way and taking up all their time, but I still think it should stay in softcore.
Anyway, seems like I'm in the minority so rock on you fast forwarders! I'll be in the slow lane...

zephyr97
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 23:14
Last Edit: 15 Mar, 2019 23:15
I don't exactly have a ton of free time after work on weekdays to be able to really enjoy anything for long extended periods. Having an option to speed through monotonous tasks, such as running across Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time faster than I usually could, makes the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Suddenly I'm not wasting my time doing something I've done a hundred times before. That's not cheating. I still have to avoid damage, the day/night cycles...etc. It's plain and simple a timer saver. I still have to play at normal speed to beat the mini games or bosses in the game, and to solve timed puzzles and other things. It's skipping that cut scene, running across that expanse...or even grinding a pointless few levels in something like Pokemon where I can do it, but don't have the hour it would normally take compared to the 20 minutes I could do it with fast forward.

monkeytoung
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 00:16
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 00:19
So then thats all passwords are doing speed up the game. Most games with password are 30 minutes to 2 hour. Its a big different when you take a 20 to 40 hour long game and make it a 1 to 5 hour game because you speed it up. You are saving a lot more time speeding up a game thwn using a password in a silly ahort game. Its rare that any super long games have passwords and most dont auto unlock achicwments anyway. If your gonna get mad at someone for saving esentually time by using a password then you should get mad at speeding up a game.

Its the same thing saving time. Thw same arguement can be made for using password in a game. Im with somehere dont play the game then if you dont want to spend the time. Just like passwords there far more skill onvolved in not using the speed up option. If the games you want to play so badly let you use passwords to esentually save time would the tables be turned.

Its double standards for 2 different methods that do exactly the same deal save time. If saving time by using a password is a cheat then saving time by using speed up is a cheat. I agrue speeding up save far more time then using any kind of password and it can be proven with rpgs alone. The most common argumwnt is about saving time i dont have the time bs . If i dont want to spend the time i shouldnt play and and i like that argument.

zephyr97
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 00:54
It's not the same thing. Can you not read? I'm not going to go back and bother quoting myself in vain of repeating myself 3 times. Go read what other people have said.

NickGoat1990
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 01:00
How is there more skill involved by not using speed up? You have to play the exact same game, just in less time, time does not equal difficulty; and if the game is not an RPG or a Point-and-Click, it'll probably make it harder. Passwords skip parts of the game, it's not the same as speeding up a game. Are passwords cheating? Depends, using passwords from somewhere around the internet feels like it, using your own wouldn't.

The only argument against FF would be "it's not true to playing it in a console", and that's a valid argument, but everything else is disingenous at best, just be honest and write "I don't like fast forwarding".

zephyr97
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 01:05
I think these people have some kind of thinking that fast forward plays the game for you. That isn't how it works.

infpgamer
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 01:19
I can see both sides of the argument here. Passwords IMO are different as NickGoat1990 said you still have to play the game with speedup, passwords allow you to just skip most of the game, thankfully many sets are now protected so you have to actually go through the game to get the cheevs and not just have the items in inventory.

I speedup my rpgs too because I've gotten used to it for about 20 years now, and slow gameplay in something like that drives me nuts. I suppose speeding up could make things easier. You can get more exp and gold in say 30 minutes than you would otherwise. Thus being able to afford better equipment as well as higher levels of course. After all, as mentioned above, in many old rpgs the only thing keeping me from grinding to lvl 99 on slimes is patience.

Plus, it's still available in save state mode, and you can just switch to hardcore mode before heading to beat that boss or get that level cheev. So that's why I don't see it as a negative to have it in hardcore mode but that's just me.

monkeytoung
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 03:25
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 03:37
Are you really.gonna spend 40 hours or try when your under leveled. More skill is required when your at a lower level in rpgs. There so much easier when you over level all skills taken away when your over level and you can jist spam buttons. It takes sp long to level up on those monsters giving who oa gonna realostically sit there for the required amoint of time. Just take pokemon as an example if you want to speed threw the game at some point yoir gonna skip fighting pokemon as it gets a bit repetitive fighting zubat or geodude for the 500th time your ether gonna find items to skip the fights or randomly skip the fights to just move on as fast as possible especially if you choose to play every pokemon game.

Are you really gonna spam buttons in a fighting game if your playing without speeding up the game. Loosing would be far more detrimental of a time waist.

Hotscrock
Posted: 16 Mar, 2019 04:10
Last Edit: 16 Mar, 2019 04:15
"Don't play the game then if you dont want to spend the time" << It's not about "WANT" to spend the time. Some people here are busy, they work, study, develop achievements and have a social life. When I had 18 I used to play 10-12 hours per day and it was easy to reach 200+ hours on save files. If I try now it can take 4+ months till I reach the same progress.

Asking people do dont play because you dont like how they play is totally silly. It's like ask someone to stop driving because you dont like his car. As long as people play within the rules I think they are free to do whatever they want and everyone should mind their own business.

No one here at this site is playing real cartridges on the real hardware. I am playing on a emulator that have a Fast Forward feature and that is not against the actual rules. And all examples above of "cheating using fast forward" can be done at normal speed.

EDIT: Forum thread should be renamed to Discussion about Fast Forward by the way
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account