login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Discussion about Fast Forward

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
AuthorMessage

stfN1337
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 10:17
Since we have a problem with many games who missed save protection. So, he noticed. I just created topic here because I got many comments on my topic for 200% easy games list. It doesn't fit. Just feel free to discuss here.

benmoot
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 13:19
My understanding of it is to not use passwords to gain an advantage over not being able to complete a level and level select is not allowed at all period. please correct me if i'm wrong.

televandalist
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 15:45
There's not really a need for this thread. We have a sheet that we actively use for keeping tabs on games with sets that are vulnerable. All a forum topic would do is bring attention to these games so all users would know what games are exploitable.

televandalist
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 16:34
Also, it almost seems like you're crediting for finding exploits in certain sets. This would be fine had he not been openly taking pride in the fact that he's abusing holes in sets for free points. Not to mention he's encouraging others to do the same.

monkeytoung
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 19:47
No im saying its athing justlike alot of games are i able to complete in a hour when tbey should take 20+ hour to exploit speed.as long as its aloud why would me or othera not do it. Im finding a lot of games where using the speed up just as easy as passwords. Its not cheating a s defined by the website. Most of the sets that work wirh passwords are games under 400 and most of the same beat the game basically. Even wothout them there still under 5 hours most of those games. It happens on any leaderboard . It will be exploited untill thus labled as cheating

TheBatman
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 22:53
Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2019 22:54
monkeytoung, it IS defined as cheating by the website. People have told you this multiple times. You are cheating. You sitting there covering your ears and insisting you'll keep cheating because it's not "actually" cheating isn't helping your case one bit.

monkeytoung
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 23:52
Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2019 23:58
Im not saying its not im saying it no different them speeding up the game vea the speed up option there both just exploiting the system to get achievements faster. No matter how people lable its still just explointing a system to earn achievements faster cheating or not. A lot of games you can speed up to by pass the grind. Im refering to speeding up and using password as one on the same. Speeding up the games to earn achievements faster then intended. 1 auto may auto pop achievement but is a feature designed by the games developer to use password. Outside auto poping achievement i could almost consider speading up the game auto poping trophies minus an rpg a lot of fight games you can just spam speed and mash buttons and makes trophies pop in like in minutes play it normally and you could easily look at an 20 to 40 hours worth of gameplay. Monopoly on snes would take forever its a slow paced game speed it up and hour or less later you have all achievements. Im seeing like thos a 30 minite to a hour long game use password they auto pop achievements or speed up a 20 to 40 hour long game and finish withing an hour or 2. So its ok to speed up a 20 to 40 hour long games and its not cheating but a password thats was built on to the game that auto pops an achivements is cheating. I dont get how both are not wrong and cheating when there doing basically the same thing. Im not seeing it as auto poping trophies im seeing it as get achievements faster by not playing the games as intended. Also its rather rare that password auto pop achievements in anything super long anyway.

Speeding up by passing the grind thats all a password is doing as well.

kdecks
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 13:39
Speaking as an admin here, achievements should be earned by playing the game, normally. Achievements are intended to show off skill, not show of the ability to manipulate loopholes.

As stated in the Achievement Hunting Rules sing battery saves that are not your own is also cheating. This could be interpreted to passwords unless you've already earned them. The reasons passwords are allowed is so that you can play the game normally and use passwords that you've earned.

Playing with the intention of exploiting games and achievements for "easy points" is against the spirit of fair competition. If your mindset is about how can you can subvert the spirit of the achievement as intended by our developers then should only be competing against yourself (untracked). Having a mentality or trying to tow the grey to exploit sets; that's not the kind of competitive environment we want.

Also, using cheat codes, even if they function is cheating unless specifically stated as allowed by the developer. These cases should be reported as bugs.

monkeytoung
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 14:45
Speeding up the game is doing exactly the same thing. That exactly what in game exploits are doing as well as alloud per the rules. The hole argument can you want this its better address it now. You say should be earned playing the game normally speeding up games is not playing them normally.

Euclide
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 15:09
totally agreed, end the double standards. ban fast-forward

Searo
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 15:19
Even if you speed up the game you still have to have the skills in order to beat the game. Sure in rpg's it saves time but in platformers and action games the only thing speeding up will most likely do is save you a few seconds here and there in things like stage transitions.

For example whether or not you use speedups in Super Mario Bros (NES) you still have to beat the stages using your own skill and using speedups will only help get through the end of level animations unless you are so skilled that you can play through levels sped up. Either way speedups aren't determining whether you can beat the stage on your own in any way, it just saves you a little bit of time.

Speeding up the game is in no way the same as putting in a password or cheat to get to a stage you didn't get to with your own skill.

Shmelyoff
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 15:20
Last Edit: 15 Mar, 2019 15:22
FF can give some advantage only for RPG and JRPG games that reequire grinding, that not require skills only player time. In other generes platformer, shoot'em up, beat'em up, fighting, arcade FF doesn't give you any advantage.

zephyr97
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 15:34
Fast forward makes platforming harder in my opinion. Don't see any problems with using it as a time saver for grinding in rpgs. I've actually had it screw me there a few times too by pushing through menus too fast.

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 15:59
I'm very, VERY against banning fast forward. Playing games like Pokemon or any other RPG without it feels like a chore once you've tried it out. As other people said, it doesn't give you any advantage other then the fact that you can save yourself some time. You still need to have the skills to unlock the achievements.

EverElsewhere
Posted: 15 Mar, 2019 17:16
I would vote for banning fast forward. Surely in JRPGs this feature could be used to trivially level up your characters? Remember the guy who got Cloud and Barret to Level 99 before the first boss in FFVII? It took that dude 500 hours to do that. I've never actually used fast-forward in an emulator, so I don't know what kinda speeds are involved here, but if you could do that sort of feat in a trivial amount of time then that's essentially enabling a cheat mode.

And if you're midway through a dungeon in an old-school RPG, part of what determines your behaviour is "Oh God, how much time am I going to lose if I die now before reaching a save point?" We all know that feeling of agonizing between risk or playing it safe. Fast-forward could totally trivialize that experience.

So, I say keep fast-forward out of Hardcore Mode. I don't even know why Hardcore Mode is called that. It should just be Normal Mode. Rename Softcore to Baby Mode :) (Or Easy / Practise Mode)
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account