Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 08:41
Last Edit: 05 Apr, 2019 03:34
Welcome to the RetroAchievements.org VGM Contest! Thank you to all 25 of you who signed up to take part in this event. Here are all of the entrants.
The contest is officially over! Here is the playlist containing all of the songs in order of how well they did (courtesy of BenGhazi).
- Each entrant must submit 3 songs to me. DO NOT POST YOUR SUBMISSIONS HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE PUBLIC. The songs MUST be submitted directly to me via a website PM or a Discord DM (I am Rimsala#6595 on Discord). Please tell me the name of the song and the game it is from. If there could be confusion about which version of a song to use, a Youtube link, or some way for me to listen to the song, would be nice.
- Only songs actually written for the game that appeared in the game will be acceptable.
- No licensed tracks (basically anything from Guitar Hero, for example).
- Licensed tracks, or tracks that were otherwise not originally composed for video games, but that are redone for video games, are acceptable. An example of this is various songs from Kingdom Hearts, which contains recognizable Disney themes that have been redone for the game.
- No arrange CD tracks, whether they be arrangements by the original composer or fan/doujin arrangements. However, rearrangements of old game music that appear in newer games, like those found in the Smash Bros series, for example, are acceptable.
- Songs that appear in games that were unreleased, or even beta versions of completed games, are still game music, and therefore still qualify.
- Songs that are new for romhacks that were written for the romhack qualify as long as the romhack is a legitimate game (rather than a movie, means of playing high-quality music, etc).
- Songs appearing only in game trailers/commercials do not qualify.
- Only one song per composer per entrant.
- Only one song per franchise per entrant. These rules are to ensure there is at least some variety in style and source.
- Because of the two above rules, I do not find it necessary to limit submissions by era/console. You may submit as many as you'd like from a particular console.
- Please try to keep your songs under 10 minutes. If the song is very long because it repeats, I will gladly cut out the loop for you before reuploading it to Youtube.
- If two or more people choose the same song, it goes to the first submitter and any entrant(s) submitting the song after that will be notified to select a different one. Submission time is the time the message is sent to me with the submissions, whether by RetroAchievements.org website PM or Discord DM.
- The songs will be split up into three different rounds. Every entrant will have a song in every round.
- Because song and entrant information has been anonymized, songs will be renamed to a random number. Please don't be alarmed if things seem out of order.
- Entrants will vote on multiple of their favorite songs in each round, giving each song points based on how much they like them. The point format is:
1st place (favorite): 9 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 5 points
4th place: 4 points
5th place: 3 points
6th place: 1 point
This voting scheme must be followed; the point values cannot be adapted, nor can less than 6 songs be chosen.
- Feeling generous? Enjoying everything you hear? You can award additional songs 1 bonus point each if you feel. There is no limit on how many songs you can award bonus points to.
- In the case of a point total tie, 6th place votes will be weighted heavier than bonus votes.
- When an entrant votes, he/she will automatically receive bonus points towards their song for voting, to encourage everyone to vote (this also makes it unnecessary for a person to vote for their own song). The bonus points are equivalent to a 1st place vote (9 points).
- Due to the previously mentioned voting bonus, you automatically get a "vote" for your song, equivalent to 1st place (9 points). However, if you really feel like your song is not the strongest in the round and feel others should score higher than it, you can let me know any value from 0-9 to adjust your bonus to.
- If you get more than one song into the final round, all of your songs get the full 9 point bonus when you vote.
- The top 6 songs from each round will advance into the final round.
- The voting period will be open for 1 week, to give everyone a chance to listen to all the music and get their votes in.
- All votes will be sent directly to me, either by RetroAchievements.org website PM or Discord DM. DO NOT POST YOUR VOTES ANYWHERE PUBLIC. The reason for this is to keep people from voting strategically based on publicly visible votes, therefore keeping the voting honest. All results will be posted publicly, meaning the voting will be transparent. Anonymity will still be maintained, but any individual voter will be able to recognize his/her votes, making me unable to fudge the results.
- Only one round will be voted on at a time.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 08:45
You know I'm in.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 09:36
I'm definitely interested in joining this, and I think that the person suggesting the song should remain anonymous until the end of the competition so we can judge the song on it's own merit without any bias towards/against the person suggesting it.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 09:47
That's a great idea. I had thought of that myself and I'm glad to hear it suggested. I think it's a better idea to (when the submission phase begins) accept all submissions only by private message directly to me.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 11:26
Count me in. :)
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 11:34
Looks fun, some questions:
Only original songs or remixes allowed?
Any limitations on eras/consoles?
Maximum time limit for each song?
Unlikely, but what if two or more people choose the same song? Who will have priority?
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 11:55
Walks over to the podium Sign me up.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 12:40
I am in also.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 12:45
Only original songs or remixes allowed?
Adding to this, are concerts/covers okay?
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 13:25
Last Edit: 28 Feb, 2019 13:28
I would also like to know if remixes/covers are okay.
I also agree with the submitter being anonymous for voting suggestion
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 16:38
I am really bad at any popularity contests, casue I hate choosing something more obvious (which will have potentially higher chance to win). Still I will join, just for fun, simply becasue becasue I love VGM.
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 16:53
Hm... i'm in too. In my Mobile have only VGM's, its very nostalgic.
But confess if i not understand 100% of this tournament... if possible someone explain for me?
My english is not very good kkk
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 18:07
Last Edit: 28 Feb, 2019 19:53
i join :)
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 19:55
I've added information about submission rules. Please give me your opinion, if you have one, on whether or not remixes should be allowed.
Thank you everyone for your interest :)
Posted: 28 Feb, 2019 19:58
I'm in favor of strictly-VGM, so no remixes, live arrangements, etc.
login to RetroAchievements:
or create a new account
or create a new account