login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Hardcore mode and regular saves.

AuthorMessage

Dreamster
Posted: 22 Feb, 2019 14:07
Last Edit: 23 Feb, 2019 02:05
So, I read the FAQ about "Why you shouldn't use the load state feature", and I'm now pretty confused because of that statement:

[Quote]
Beat the game without passwords
[...]
To get this achievement you have to pass through all stages and then beat the game.
[...]
Now imagine this scenario:

-a softcore player started the game and played stages 1, 2 and 3
-he needed to stop playing when at stage 4 and then he saved a state to continue later
-he closed the emulator
-later he could play again, started the game and loaded the state he saved
-played stages 4, 5 and beated the game
-In this scenario the achievement won't trigger.

After closing the emulator it "forgets" that you passed through stages 1, 2 and 3.
[End Quote]

What if I'm in a game and am able to save in a legit way after stage 3, close the emulator, open it later, load my legit save, and finish the game. Will the achievement trigger or not ?

benmoot
Posted: 11 Mar, 2019 13:33
It should. You should report it as a bug if it doesn't.

valts
Posted: 11 Mar, 2019 17:54
It depends on achievement. What you are quoting seems like author wanted the player to beat the game in one sitting. What game and achievement is it?
There are two types of saves. One is implemented on original console by devs. Often using them disables certain achievements to stop cheating by using shared memory cards, like loading save with all items for example.
Other are emulator made RAM dumps. They don't work when achievement logic must need to "know" if something were true, but you load a later phase in game. This is the case which FAQ warns about.

TheBatman
Posted: 11 Mar, 2019 20:59
In that case, the only way you'd be able to "save in a legit way after stage 3"would be with a password, which the achievement is specifically for not using.

So no, it wouldn't trigger because you literally didn't do what it asked of you.

kdecks
Posted: 12 Mar, 2019 06:37
"Why you shouldn't use the load state feature" is mostly outdated and possibly should be rewritten or removed. As of a few months ago stave states store hits (which is a way developers store success or failure of meeting conditions).

This isn't 100% consistent, but should work fine most of the time.

Jamiras
Posted: 12 Mar, 2019 13:50
Save states only store hits in the standalone emulators. We left the page as-is because it's still true for RetroArch.

Dreamster
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 02:07
Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2019 02:17

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account