User: 
Pass: 

Achievement of the Week #7

Page: 1 2 >
AuthorMessage

StingX2
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 03:18
Last Edit: 31 Mar, 2014 14:06
Each week a new achievement will be chosen. Some weeks we will do achievements on obscure underplayed games and other weeks the challenge will be the hardest in that game's entire set.

If you can get the achievement you win 1 point towards the just for fun leaderboard, 2 for earning it on hardcore! (You Also must earn it in this week to get the point)

Scott: "Can I add - if you already have this achievement and want to enter the competition, please visit your settings page (www.retroachievements.org/controlpanel.php) and remove the achievement from your account first. You will find the option to remove individual achievements from your account under "reset game progress", first pick the game (Mega Man X), then the achievement ('Zero Mode'). This will allow you to re-earn the achievement this week! Good luck all!"

This Week's Achievement: Zero Mode, by Jaarl

Current Leaderboard
Philintheblanks: 14
dude1286: 14
RyanRJ: 14
STHX: 14
popoki: 14
cirellio: 12
SexyChazz: 10
fluttershy: 10
yoyo: 8
TrainerAbu: 5
AxelNL: 4
Mctavish: 4
Rhadamanthys: 4
Coczero: 4
rdannylor: 4
jackolantern: 4
UNHchabo: 4
msdmario: 4
Scott: 2
Astrophil: 2
rubixcube: 2
Fernandes: 2
JonnyRetro: 2
MK2k: 2
StingX2: 2
Gaians: 2
denine: 2

#1 Kirby Victors: Philintheblanks, rdannylor, Mctavish, Astrophil, SexyChazz, Rhadamanthys, AxelNL, rubixcube, Fernandes, STHX, dude1286, RyanRJ, popoki, JonnyRetro, TrainerAbu, jackolantern, Coczero, Scott

#2 Ducktales Victors: Philintheblanks, AxelNL, Mctavish, SexyChazz, RyanRJ, popoki, Rhadamanthys, Coczero, dude1286, STHX, rdannylor, yoyo, TrainerAbu, cirellio, Fluttershy,

#3 Mickey Victors: Philintheblanks, RyanRJ, STHX, SexyChazz, dude1286, popoki, MK2K, cirellio, fluttershy, yoyo, TrainerAbu (normal)

#4 Star Fox: cirellio, yoyo, RyanRJ, STHX, jackolantern, dude1286, Philinthebanks, UNHchabo, Sexychazz, popoki

#5 Metroid 2: yoyo, Philinthebanks, StingX2, dude1286, RyanRJ, STHX, popoki, fluttershy, msdmario, sexychazz, unchabo, cirellio

#6 Fantasy Zone: Fluttershy, popoki, StingX2 (normal), philinthebanks, dude1286, STHX, msdmario (normal), Gaians, Cirellio, RyanRJ

#7 Mega Man X: denine, Philinthebanks, RyanRJ, Popoki, dude1286, STHX, Fluttershy, cirellio, msdmario (normal)

PhilInTheBlanks
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 03:21
Dang, this'll be difficult, but I've done it before and I'll do it again!

Fluttershy
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 05:25
Bu... I just played Megaman X6 in my entire life... this will be a challenge for me

denine
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 15:33
Completed on Hardcore.
This is my first Achievement of the week.This game rocks.Thanks! :)

RyanRJ
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 16:10
I love MMX and have beaten it enough times in my life, but I'm not sure how challenging this will be! I'm going away for a week on Friday night, so I don't have that long to do this!

Scott
Posted: 25 Mar, 2014 16:51
Holy crap that's insane!!

popoki
Posted: 26 Mar, 2014 00:49
I've beaten Mega Man X probably 30+ times in my life but I've never attempted a non-100% run, like, ever. I thought it'd be completely ridiculously impossible but it's really not so bad, this really teaches you to play very well but it's definitely possible. Sigma 2 will be hella tough but the rest of his fortress really isn't so bad with a bit of practice.

PhilInTheBlanks
Posted: 26 Mar, 2014 02:37
Done and Done on hardcore! Blarg, I've played through MMX four times in the last couple months. I'm taking a Mega Man break!

Jaarl
Posted: 26 Mar, 2014 02:46
Hope this achievement (and most of the rest) worked out fine in this weeks Achievement of the Week, I've been getting quite a few reports on this title and I might have to look into some of the issues at some point (or if someone could do it for me that'd be great! :P ) but alas I do not have the time to do so now.
Hope you enjoyed the game and rock on fellow cheevo hunters!

RyanRJ
Posted: 26 Mar, 2014 17:09
I got it on hardcore! That was an easy, enjoyable challenge until the final boss... and then it was one of the HARDEST challenges!!

Now I feel like I can get the rest of the cheevs in the game and just enjoy myself. Nothing will be as hard as that! (except maybe launch octopus)

popoki
Posted: 27 Mar, 2014 19:46
PHEW!!!! Took me alll morning and most the afternoon (keeping in mind I was already at Sigma's fortress by the time I started) but I finally got this!!!

I actually unlocked it a couple hours before i actually earned it due to a bug that gives you the achievement while fighting sigma's dog, but i then proceeded to earn it the *real* way. Totally worth it to utterly master one of my favorite games ever too.

So yeah got it on hardcore!

dude1286
Posted: 29 Mar, 2014 06:42
Got it on hardcore. Definitely very difficult due to the final three bosses.

STHX
Posted: 29 Mar, 2014 19:20
I can't believe I did it. This was the hardest achievement of the week for me so far, but here's a suggestion for people who want to get it.
First, it's true fighting 3 bosses one after another is tough, however both Velgauder and Sigma have an exploitable AI if you continously move through a wall.

For Velgauder: before entering the room start charging the buster (but not to level 3), and change to the Shotgun Ice while Sigma and Velgauder appear. This way as soon as the battle start you will score a free hit. Velgauder then will jump above you. Don't move, mash X again and the recoil from the second shot will still hit him. The keep pressing until you fire a 3rd time. Only after this 3rd shot start jumping on the left wall. From there just hit Velgauder with the S.Ice recoils, if he starts jumping on the 2 walls return to the ground, wait for him to come back and then climb the wall again, and simply move to the other wall if he uses his fire. This makes the battle much easier.

Sigma first: This boss is a cakewalk if you keep moving up and down the left wall. When the battle starts immediately climb the wall until the top, then wait for Sigma to reach you (don't worry, Sigma must hit the left wall at least 2 times before actually hurting you), fall to the ground and shot one Electric Spark mid-air. The spark will hit him, then, as soon you're on the ground, climb the same wall again. It may take some time but you will beat him withouth getting hit, you just need to keep the rhythm going. I actually find Sigma easier than Velgauder because Velgauder's AI is more erratic.

Sigma Velgauder: this is the hardest moment of the challenge. First, don't use Rolling Shield unless you are 100% sure you can hit Sigma without moving: this is a battle of endurance, you can't win if you are in a hurry. Second, as soon as the battle start go to the middle of the room, then 2 things may happen: 1) Sigma attacks with fire/spark, nothing to do, just avoid them (spark will need perfect timing, be sure to practice before trying it for real), this attack will always be telegraphed by the eyes; or 2) one of the 2 claws will move to your position. Jump on the claw bot stay on the ledge to avoid the lightning shot, then from this position, without moving, charge the X-Buster and hit him. While on the claw the only danger will be the other claw, sooner or later it will move over you. If that happens the best solution is to jump on the ground and wait for the next claw to come at you while avoiding the fire/spark attack. It will take a full on 5 minutes if you're unlucky, but it can be done. The only moment you can hit Sigma with the Rolling Shield is when the claw you are on moves closer to the head (it may happen multiple times during the fight if you're lucky). Just keep trying and sooner or later you will win the battle.

Note: if you are hit once by Velgauder, the claw attack of the final boss will not kill you the first time you are hit, but every other attack will. If you reach the final boss with full life X will survive one hit, and only one hit from every attack. Use this as a safety measure.

Fluttershy
Posted: 29 Mar, 2014 19:47
Yaaaay I did it on Hardcore!!! This was painfully than Mickey and the Castle of Illusion t.t

Hardest aotw so far for me t.t

dude1286
Posted: 29 Mar, 2014 21:53
Hey Sting, it may be a good idea to add a Game of the Month competition, where we have to get all the cheevos for a single game by starting over in a single month, without using a previous save. This would make RPG's viable for competitions since they don't tend well to the idea of a single week to get a certain cheevo.
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account