login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

RAVBA last update

AuthorMessage

BerserkerBR
Posted: 14 Sep, 2018 17:03
Hi,

I noticed that the saved games (not the save states but the in game saves) from the previous version 0.054 dont work in the new version 0.055.

Is there a way to correct this?

Blazekickn
Posted: 14 Sep, 2018 20:27
Last Edit: 14 Sep, 2018 20:28
Works fine for me. Maybe you need to adjust your save settings or something. I know games like Gen 3 Pokemon don't work unless you set it to a specific setting.

BerserkerBR
Posted: 14 Sep, 2018 21:19
you are right.

I tested again and it worked.

Maybe I messed up somewhere....

Kaymander
Posted: 06 Feb, 2019 02:19
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but how do you make save files from previous versions work? Due to the new toolset update, I've effectively lost progress in a lot of VBA games.

Jamiras
Posted: 06 Feb, 2019 02:50
The two things should be unrelated. There's nothing in the toolkit that knows anything about how the emulator manages in-game saves or save states. There's some logic in the toolkit that piggy-backs on the save-state functionality to save-state the achievements too, but if that data is missing or invalid, it won't affect the basic save-state functionality.

Did you install a fresh version of VBA? The save files (both in-game and save states) are usually stored in a subfolder within the emulator folder.

Kaymander
Posted: 07 Feb, 2019 02:02
Reason I say that is because before the new toolset came out, I was able to play games on previous versions before getting the popup saying I would be unable to use the outdated version while on hardcore mode. Just figured that may have had something to do with it.

All of my saves are found in the folder my games are kept in, nowhere near the emulators.

Jamiras
Posted: 07 Feb, 2019 14:16
To upgrade the emulator, you only need to unzip the new exe over the top of the old one. If you create a new directory for the new version, you have to manually copy any subdirectories over - that's where the save data would be. If you deleted the old directory before installing the new version, those subdirectories are not going be available to copy from.

If your save files are in another directory, you may just need to configure the new emulator to point at that same directory. There's nothing in the changes that breaks the save file formats - it's just a matter of making sure the save files from the old install are available to the new install.

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account