Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

So where to run now that [removed site name] excluded all roms of all consoles, and also many rom sites were shut down?

Page: < 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

Warpsin
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 03:06
Here's hoping Nintendo doesn't kill this on us, I just found it about a month ago and it's revitalised my love for the classics.

Makes me wanna return my switch as an F you right back.

PheonixGRX
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 12:40
I really don't see why roms of games that are over a decade old and are no longer in distribution/production by any company is a bad thing. If anything it brings people to the games that they missed out on, and may even give companies a chance to bring them back since there is now new fans of the series.

MagusPC
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 13:03
Last Edit: 10 Aug, 2018 13:03
I agree with , if it wasn't for the emulation of old Games then many people wouldn't even play retro Nintendo Games and Nintendo's image on the market wouldn't be this popular as it is right now. Emulation has a huge impact on keeping the legacy of Nintendo alive.

Nintendo is just doing what any company would do, aiming to get more profit.

OzzieArcane
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 13:57
It's kind of funny but while Nintendo are the ones to do this. This is also the fault of Disney. If they had not kept using their money to get copyright extended to protect the Mouse, all these games would be in public domain by now.

Ryan914
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 13:57
is right here. People should be thanking the people uploading the ROMs, for preserving their IPs for them. As I said, they had a long time to not only stop the dumping and circulation of the games, but also of the entire effort of preserving them on Virtual Console as people will want to play it. They let this go on for too long and there is no way of putting the Genie back in the bottle now.

is also right on the money here, people spent a lot of time and resources wanting to preserve those classic games, when the fans care about previous products even more than the developer who doesn't see the potential of a long term market, that is a total sign you as the owner of a company screwed up, the purpose of a business is to make money, many of us get this and we understand the reason why they pulled down those sites, but they wouldn't have even come to where they did if they just thought of dumping it themselves and THEN selling it again instead of waiting for people to do it, claim that ROMs are bad, and then taking the games and translations to re-use after others did the heavy lifting, that is just low.

Mutawarrior
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 14:39
The thing is they weren't even losing money. Look at how their NES Mini & SNES Mini sold. The only thing preventing them from having made more money was their own stupid policy to limit the units of those 2 platforms to whatever volume they decided to produce. Retro is so popular now that even though a free option is given, people will still spend the money on products from the companies who made these games in the past.

If they didn't destroy their own source code that would be one thing. But when they did and did nothing to preserve the games and then stole the hard work of those who did while putting the knife in their back, it's disgusting. What they did is similar to someone helping a person out with or without intentions and then being sued or stabbed in the back for doing it afterwards. Nintendo had zero interest in preserving their classics until they saw others do it for them. The fact that they made no investment whatsoever in preservation shows how they could've cared less about those games until they saw the interest in them.

A perfect analogy is a kid who has a toy they stopped playing with long ago and the kid's neglect for that toy results in it either getting thrown out in the garbage or given away. Then when a friend or cousin of that kid shows up with the given away/thrown out toy that they found & salvaged, the kid whose toy it was has a fit and screams for their toy back. That's exactly what Nintendo is doing.

Mutawarrior
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 14:56
Last Edit: 10 Aug, 2018 15:03
And another sign that Nintendo is all about talk and could care less about classic games is the way they can easily release new NES & SNES style 8-bit and 16-bit games and don't (think of what Capcom did with Mega Man 9 & 10---we should have gotten more from them too like a Duck Tales 3 that I've been dying for after how many great things they added in DT2). They can easily make new 8-bit and 16-bit Super Mario Bros games, Zelda games, Star Tropics games, Balloon Kid/Fight games, Punch Out games, Kid Icarus games, Metroid games, Ice Climber games, etc and even brand new franchises that don't currently exist, but they don't. They re-release already made stuff as NES Remix games on the Wii U & 3DS, they release the NES & SNES Minis, they release all those games on the Virtual Console & eShop, all of which takes minimal effort but they don't take the time and make new NES & SNES games because God forbid they put any effort or take any risk, which for Nintendo would not even be a risk because they would at minimal break even if not profit like crazy. And I'm not even asking for physical copies (as awesome as that would be), just playing such games digitally would be great enough.

This is aimed at Nintendo: if you weren't assholes and really wanted to get older generation gamers like me who put you in this market by buying the NES along with its games, you ungrateful bastards, you would make brand new NES & SNES games like SMB5 (SMB4=SMW, so SMB5 would be the next one), Zelda III, Kid Icarus III, Metroid III (or maybe IV since SM may be considered as Metroid III) etc in digital format on the Switch. That would not only be cheaper & take WAY less time to make than a AAA game, but it would also be guaranteed money and would be a huge incentive to get people like me who would otherwise never buy the Switch to buy one. You want to do something, do that instead of going after rom sites. You'll see how many $300 Switch units you'd sell then. You haven't done jack shit in a very long time for us original NES gamers who gave you international access & who can care less about Pokemon, Mario Party, etc and who are the likely users of rom sites and now you do this. You owe us big time for your success and it's time to rethink your strategy and be thankful to us. You have become a big, inefficient dinosaur of a company who is unwilling to spend money to step outside the norms like you used to and provide your original customers from 30+ years ago with products we want. Don't forget Nintendo, many of us gamers from the 80's have been working for a while and have discretionary money. Do you really want to piss us off? Do you really want to cut off your nose to spite your face, especially when there's no impact and you're making more money than ever? I for one will not spend another penny on a product of yours unless drastic changes happen immediately.

Blazekickn
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 18:30
Last Edit: 10 Aug, 2018 18:34
i'd be less mad about roms being taken down if they actually put effort into the virtual console. Not having a vc on one of your most popular consoles is just asking for people to pirate games and put emulators on your switch because having classic games on the go is handy, and would print money if nintendo actually took advantage of it. Even if they did put vc on the switch, they'll probably force you to rebuy the games or have a fee for transfering games over like with wii to wii u, forcing people to essentially rebuy games they already own (at least i think there's a fee. Idk i never owned a wii u so i never had to transfer). I wish nintendo just had one service where you could buy the game once and play it on any nintendo console where it's possible. Even if the games costed more it'd be better than the current system

OzzieArcane
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 19:05
Yeah there was an upgrade fee which varied on which system the game was originally for. Otherwise you had to play the games in the Wii Mode (which is basically the Wii U pretending to be a Wii and can only use Wii controllers in that mode). Also if the game didn't get rereleased on the Wii U VC there wasn't even the option to upgrade. You had to use Wii mode.

BerserkerBR
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 20:57
I'm kinda impressed to how Nintendo could actually pull this out. I thought it would be normalized by now but...

Google is not helping either....is it that difficult to make a site hosted in Brazil? The legal system doesnt work here so emulation wouldnt be a problem

Blazekickn
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 21:45
Last Edit: 10 Aug, 2018 21:46
BRetroCheevos now with rom download mirrors on all game pages

BerserkerBR
Posted: 10 Aug, 2018 21:48
The lawyers, prosecutors and judges dont even know what na emulator is....

The police? Do they have computers?

monkeytoung
Posted: 12 Aug, 2018 20:37
Last Edit: 12 Aug, 2018 20:49
Retroachivement will be fine. It was already found at least in the usa emulators are 100% legal. Sony tried to fight that back in the day with ps1 and lost emulators where found 100% legal. Its roms/iso that where not. As long as the emulator has non of the original souce code. Emulation is lot illigal just the distubution of roms/iso are. Stuff like PlayStation would be easy to play just load the emulator and pop the disc in your computer and boom you can play said game. Once any of these games are public domain Nintendo has no say so in any of this. Retroachievements removing any link and not hosting roms/iso is the only think that will save them

OzzieArcane
Posted: 12 Aug, 2018 20:57
As I already said though, the games will never be public domain. Disney keeps paying off the government to extend copyright limits.

OnlyHuman
Posted: 04 Sep, 2018 10:28
Last Edit: 04 Sep, 2018 13:17
So I'm against the ROM community because I bought a Switch? Believe it or not, they ARE inspiring a new generation. I see the same excitement in my 7 year old playing Switch as when I was discovering the Nintendo for the first time. I should not allow her to have that experience why, because if I don't buy Switch Nintendo will go out of business and the ROM scene will be saved? Lastly, the SF 2 rant? You are angry game developers put out games that people wanted and bought? Nes is annoying and greedy, but they are still making great games. I mean, how entitled are we acting right now?
Page: < 1 2 3 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account