Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

So where to run now that [removed site name] excluded all roms of all consoles, and also many rom sites were shut down?

Page: 1 2 >
AuthorMessage

DonMatt146
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 04:30
It will be serious business now to have the same ROM used in some games as the achievement's developer. And risky

BenGhazi
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 05:28
Google

televandalist
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 08:06
I would never go to any of those places. They're bad.

MagusPC
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 09:25

JAM
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 09:55
Use Torrents. Search for No-Intro, GoodNES, GoodGEN, GoodSNES etc.
And fuck you, Nintendo.

BerserkerBR
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 13:09
It is not the first time that Nintendo do that.

Things will probably normalize after some time. Just like before

Ryan914
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 14:37
Nintendo boffed up years ago by not re-releasing games on newer consoles. That is their own fault for letting it manifest this way, they are just salty now because they are wanting a subscription service for older games. They let this golden opportunity slip through their fingers and it is quite hilarious seeing them scramble to save face despite the countless times they could have stopped this. They had over a decade to do this and they did squat during that time.

OzzieArcane
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 17:19
Last Edit: 09 Aug, 2018 17:20
There is -link removed-

But the site is running really slow probably due to an influx of traffic.

meleu
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 17:39

Mutawarrior
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 19:44
Last Edit: 09 Aug, 2018 19:54
What pisses me off is that Nintendo like every other company did jack shit to preserve their own games and was only able to get them back as a result of the emulation community that spent their hard earned money to purchase games & rom burning equipment and dump the roms that were later made available on the sites that they're going after. They ultimately got the games they're selling on Virtual Console, the NES & SNES minis, and whatever other media they sell old games on from the sites they're suing.

Say what you want about Konami, but Nintendo is way worse. Konami has the right not to make games based on their classic IPs if they want. What Nintendo is doing is claiming monetary losses on old games they wouldn't even be able to make a penny on had they not obtained them from rom sites. They're complete hypocrites. All those games should be in public domain so that companies like Nintendo can sell them to people willing to buy them if they want while those of us who would rather play them on emulators with our controller of choice would be able to download them without being bothered. It's bullshit how entertainment companies are able to extend copyrights of their useless/luxury/non-essential products in perpetuity while pharmaceutical companies that spend billions in researching & testing on the life-saving drugs they make & are liable to damages if later on a drug they made is deemed unsafe only get 7 years until generics are able to be made.

Nintendo should be thankful that such sources existed for them to make mad money after their failure of preserving the code to their own games. If they lost money, it's because of their own asshole policy of releasing limited #s of products like the NES & SNES mini just to "create a demand" which everyone who has been around gaming for a while like myself knows would have existed regardless because of all the damn fanboys of that fucking company.

I loved Nintendo as a kid, but let's face it, this is not the same Nintendo that they were back then who gave a crap about its customers. I've been saying it for years, the industry needs another crash to fix the disgusting attitudes and practices of the companies these days. I loved Nintendo as a kid, but ever since the Switch came out I've wanted them to die and now more than ever. Yet stupid people will keep buying their shit products and justifying actions like what they've been doing. Wake the fuck up those of you who keep giving them business. Unfortunately people these days are too damn stupid to refuse to buy games and cause a crash like they did in 1983. I don't even blame Atari for the '83 crash because they didn't have a previous example to go by as it was a booming business and the crash was the breaking of an inevitable bubble that was going to happen to whoever was the industry leader at the time. Nintendo learned from Atari's mistakes but began to forget when they allowed all that kiddie shovelware for systems like the Wii, DS, Wii U, 3DS, etc come out and their shitty practice of making people who bought digital copies of games on their consoles in the past repurchase them on every new console they offer those same games on in the future. They also sell digital copies of games for the same price as physical copies when many of the costs of the physical copies don't even apply to the digital copies. Their attitude with things like rom sites and AM2R is also disgusting & uncalled for, *when they profited from those things*. AM2R had been around at least since 2012-2013 and was used by Nintendo as a test to gauge the public's interest in a new 2d Metroid and they ended up making their own while screwing the AM2R dev over. I won't even go into Capcom and their shit practices that started back when they made all those damn versions of SF2 which should've remained in the arcades only as arcades were the perfect environment for fine tuning an already released game instead of charging people $60-$70 to purchase a re-release of a game with only a few additions (they should have waited until they were done adding stuff on SF2 before they released the home ports). The basic SF2 SNES port came out AFTER some of the updated arcade variants had already been released. As a teen back then I saw the slippery slope and never bought a single SF game ever other than SF 2010, which isn't part of the franchise officially. And I'll never forgive them for how they ruined Slam Masters II by turning it into a SF clone with Slam Masters characters.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of the end of RA or if RA gets absorbed by Nintendo eventually and has all hack achievements removed. I just don't see the casual users going to the lengths of hunting down the specific individual rom hashes linked to the sets to play games for unlocking achievements. Finding some of those were a pain when those rom sites were still around. Now it will be ridiculous.

OzzieArcane
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 20:19
Yeah and that's not even taking into account the massive number of games that never got a Virtual Console release ever. Either because the publisher no longer exists or in the case of Arcana, Nintendo is just too stupid to put their own games up for sale.

televandalist
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 20:52
I'm sure there's some nutbar out there slowly but surely putting together an RA-compatible rom set...

JAM
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 21:44
Mutawarrior
This time I'm completely agree with your rage.

Thoreau
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 22:09
Great post, Mutawarrior.

GAMERJET
Posted: 09 Aug, 2018 22:52
Last Edit: 09 Aug, 2018 22:53

I've actually got every game collected we support here on RA complied across 2 DVD sets. Almost ready to start filling a 3rd DVD. I still need to QA a few that need specific certain roms where I've just selected 2 to 3 roms that are most likely correct.

https://postimg.cc/image/ul8asu0vx/

https://postimg.cc/image/dxgsqbyel/
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account