User: 
Pass: 

No audio when fullscreened on an external display

AuthorMessage

MasterBrian
Posted: 08 Jul, 2018 00:26
Last Edit: 08 Jul, 2018 01:15
Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know of an issue that has been vexing me, and see if anyone else has encountered it/has any ideas for how to fix. I'm running RANes on my laptop, but I want to play on my HDTV, so I'm connecting to my TV through an HDMI cable. Everything is fine when playing in windowed mode, however the moment I switch to fullscreen video the game audio abruptly cuts out. At that point I can switch back to windowed mode and the audio still doesn't work. It will start working again if I go into the sound menu and fiddle with the options (Turning on/off 'Enable Sound' or 'Force 8-bit audio' will start it working again, which definitely tells me it's a bug), but the moment I re-enter fullscreen mode it cuts out again. I've tried the option to load the game in fullscreen mode, I've tried messing with the volume/mute hotkeys while I'm in fullscreen, basically everything I can think of, but I can't seem to work around it. Note that this only seems to be an issue when connected to an external display, as it doesn't happen when I'm just using the laptop screen. I did some googling and found a link to someone else having basically the exact same issue but on a different emulator, which makes me a bit worried that it's more of a hardware issue that might not have an easy fix- https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695

Anyway, just wanted to make people aware that this is an issue and see if anyone has any ideas as to how I might be able to make it work. Thanks guys!

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account