Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Memory can still be edited in hardcore mode

AuthorMessage

Alfex
Posted: 20 Jun, 2018 14:15
In hardcore mode, memory addresses in the memory inspector can be edited, so someone could, for example, to get an achievement for defeating x enemy in a RPG, set the enemy's HP to 1 an then hit it and get the achievement.
When trying to edit a memory address in hardcore mode, there should be a pop-up, just like there is when trying to save and load states.

ikki5
Posted: 20 Jun, 2018 14:39
Last Edit: 20 Jun, 2018 14:39
Except when you edit the ram, it will come up and say "Tampered with RAM" and you will not be awarded the achievement.

Alfex
Posted: 12 Jul, 2018 15:21
Still, a window saying "You won't earn any achievements if you edit the ram" should appear so that the player can still try to get the achievement legally without having to restart the game.

ikki5
Posted: 12 Jul, 2018 15:44
Last Edit: 12 Jul, 2018 15:52
When you earn an achievement after tampering the memory, it will say the memory was tampered with when you attempt to earn the achievements. You can legally earn them with the memory inspector open however, once you change anything, you will need to restart. And honestly, it should be common sense that editing the ram is a form of cheating and will not award achievements and can even potentially break achievements / your game.

Alfex
Posted: 13 Jul, 2018 16:10
What I mean is, if someone isn't aware of the "RAM tampered with" message (I got it several times while testing the achievements I created in Shining Force, and I thought it was an error because it was the first time I saw the word "tamper" and I didn't know its meaning, but I don't remember editing the ram back then), they might think there isn't a measure to prevent this (like I did when I created this thread), so they edit the ram and all the effort made prior to editing the RAM is gone.

ikki5
Posted: 13 Jul, 2018 16:15
Honestly, you should not need to be told that you can't get achievements when tampering with the memory. That should be common sense that it is a form of cheating.

Secondly:

http://docs.retroachievements.org/FAQ/#whats-considered-cheating-for-hardcore-what-if-i-find-evidence-of-a-cheater

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account