User: 
Pass: 

Flara’s Developer Journal

AuthorMessage

Flara
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 02:34
Last Edit: 13 Aug, 2018 02:35
Most Recent Update: August 12, 2018

Hi, welcome to my DevLog! Here I keep a list of all the achievement sets I have in progress, those I have planned for a later time, and those which I have completed.

:------------------------------------------------------------------------:

A Bit About Me and My Work
I’ve been a member of RetroAchievements for about two years now, having been introduced here by . I mostly play Nintendo games, though more recently I’ve been dipping into some of SEGA’s offerings (typically those games of the Sonic variety). I play fairly casually, as you can probably tell by my low point count, and have yet to fully master a game (whether “Crazy Bus” counts or not is up to you).

Only recently had I seriously considered developing achievements. I’d tried a few times, unsuccessfully – firstly with The Wizard of Oz (gave up due to frustrating game mechanics), then with games from the Mario Party series (the N64 is not a great place for new learners to start), and Jet Force Gemini (clearly I did not learn). I was convinced developing just wasn’t for me, but I was eventually encouraged by ikki5 to give it one more try and stick with it this time. This time I went with a game of more reasonable difficulty, and one that for a long time I’d actually hoped I’d get to work on. It took me three months from start to finish to complete my first achievement set (Tails Adventure). I’ll say the feeling I got from finally submitting a set I’d made was very rewarding, and I plan to stick with developing to make even more achievements!

With that being said, I am still a very new developer, so please bear with me through my mistakes. It may take me longer to complete a set than those more experienced, but that’s all part of the learning process. Like most casual developers, I work on my sets on my own time and at my own pace. I also have a personal life, and that takes priority. If my progress seems slow, it’s likely because I’m tied up with work, social time, commitments, music practice, and over the next year in particular, wedding plans (that alone will take up a great deal of time especially as the date gets close!).

Games
Games I have in progress, or planned for the future, are listed below. In general, I will be sticking to games from 8- and 16-bit systems until I get more comfortable with developing, as the memory for these games is a bit easier to work with.

Requests and Such
Since I’m still new to this, I plan to keep my planned games list fairly short, and as such I do not plan on taking requests unless I have two sets or less in active development, or unless they’re for a game I would especially like to do. As I get more experienced and faster with developing I may be able to take on more games at once. However, if I already have three sets in active development, any requests will be put on the Planned Games list – and as such, will not likely be worked on until I choose to.

I generally do not do collaborations. Most of my sets will be solo efforts, but I will occasionally collaborate on a set with ikki5. Since we know each other in real life and basically see each other all the time, it’s easy for us to plan and work on sets together.

Works in Progress, Planned Games, and Inactivity
Just because I have not worked on a game for a while, does not mean it is free for people to hijack as they please and make achievements for, particularly if I have already made code notes or done other work on it. It could be that I am working on other projects at the time, or that real life commitments are keeping me busy. Games on my Works in Progress list are considered claimed for my own development work. As such, any evidence I see of anyone else working on it (code notes, etc.), I'll be removing. While I do understand some people might just want to help, remember that I'm still very much in the learning phase of developing. I would like the opportunity to do as much as I can on my own.

Games on my Planned Games list are long-term projects, and are not considered "claimed". Depending on my motivation for one game or another, I may occasionally “demote” games from my Works in Progress list to Planned Games, or “promote” from Planned Games to Works in Progress. If there is a set on my Planned Games list that you would like to work on, you don’t need to ask permission to work on it. However, if you are wishing to take it on as your own Work in Progress, please let me know first, so I can remove it from my Planned Games list.

In the rare case that one of my Works in Progress appears long abandoned, and you would especially like to work on it, please send me a message to let me know. I am best reached on Discord, since I’m very active there, and I’m far more likely to see messages there than on the site. I will try to get back to you quickly and let you know if I still have plans for the game, or if it’s okay for you to take it on yourself.

Broken Achievements
If any of my achievements aren’t working as they should, I will try to attend to tickets as quickly as I can (providing personal life doesn’t get in the way). I will prioritize fixing broken achievements over any development work I have in progress. Remember that I am still quite new, so if I am taking a while getting an achievement up and running again, it is likely because I am getting assistance from other developers in fixing the issue.

Not quite as brief an intro as I’d hoped, but that being said, on to the game list!

Works in Progress
Achievement sets in active development. Achievement sets are listed in rough order of priority, with the sets at the top of the list in most active development at the current time.

Status: Actively being developed. I have played the game through twice (second time for collecting all Chaos Emeralds) and am currently coding the achievements and making badges.

Complete:
-Creating savestates
-Locating memory addresses *more may be needed as set development progresses
-Rich Presence

Mostly Complete:
-Planning achievement set

In Progress:
-Coding achievements *coded 25/planned 32; currently in Local
-Allocating points (Planned set value: 400 points)
-Making badges (current game icon is a placeholder and may change)

Started:
-Testing achievements in RALibretro

Not Started:
-Final tweaks/testing

---

(collaboration with ikki5)
Status: Very early development. Some memory addresses have been found and creation of savestates is underway.

Started:
-Creating savestates
-Locating memory addresses

Not Started:
-Coding achievements
-Rich Presence
-Allocating point values (Planned set value: 400 points)
-Making badges (current game icon is temporary and I will be making my own)
-Final tweaks/testing

---

Status: Very early development. Starting first playthrough and beginning search of the memory.

Started:
-Creating savestates
-Locating memory addresses

Not Started:
-Coding achievements
-Rich Presence
-Allocating point values (Planned set value: 200 or 250 points)
-Making badges (current game icon is temporary and I will be making my own)
-Final tweaks/testing

Planned Sets
Otherwise known as “the back burner”. Achievement sets not currently in active development, but are planned for a later date. They may have some work already done on them, but were set aside for the time being to work on other sets first.

Requests Taken
Achievement sets requested by others that I have chosen to work on. Requests are considered part of my Planned Games list, and I am not likely to get to them right away unless I have no current Works in Progress. As with all games on my Planned Games list, I will work on them as I feel motivated.
(Note: is hereby banned from this list.)

- Requested by rabbids4eva

Completed Sets

Solo Projects

Completed: June 4, 2018
Platform: Game Gear
Genre: Action/Adventure
Details: 46 achievements worth 400 points

Sonic’s adorable little twin-tailed sidekick, Miles “Tails” Prower, gets a moment in the spotlight with his own adventure! The Battle Kukku Army, an empire of feathered fiends with the quest of world domination, has invaded Tails’ home, the peaceful Cocoa Island. It’s up to you, as the tech-savvy Tails, to send these bird-brains packing. Grab some of your trusty gadgets and gizmos and trek though forests, caves, mountains and underwater grottoes, in your quest to reach and breach the heart of those bothersome birds’ operation, the Battle Fortress. Those expecting the high-speed action of classic Sonic games, think again. Tails Adventure is a slower-paced, Metroid-style platformer in which you explore 12 non-linear levels in search of weapons and items to gear up and take down the Battle Kukku Army. Can you topple the Great Battle Kukku XV and end his reign over Cocoa Island?

Collaborations with Other Developers

(collaboration with )
Completed: July 22, 2018
Platform: Game Gear
Genre: Adventure Platformer
Details: 34 achievements worth 400 points

For this set, I created 23 achievements and made all badges.

Dr. Robotnik, up to his usual tricks, has managed to procure the Red Chaos Emerald, one of the six mystical gems found in South Island. Unfortunately, his actions have disrupted the Chaos Emeralds’ balance of power, causing the five remaining gems to scatter! Worse, without the power of the Emeralds, South Island will sink into the ocean! It’s up to Sonic and his best friend Tails to set things right again. In this fast-paced platformer, you can choose to play as either Sonic or Tails, each with their own unique abilities. Explore six varied Zones, from tropical vistas to aquatic ruins, as you race to collect the Chaos Emeralds and restore the balance of power on South Island!

~FIN~

Flara
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 02:36
Reserved for later use.

Flara
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 02:36
Reserved for later use.

Flara
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 02:37
Also reserved for later use.

Flara
Posted: 23 Jul, 2018 18:16
and I have finished a new set together:

Dr. Robotnik, up to his usual tricks, has managed to procure the Red Chaos Emerald, one of the six mystical gems found in South Island. Unfortunately, his actions have disrupted the Chaos Emeralds’ balance of power, causing the five remaining gems to scatter! Worse, without the power of the Emeralds, South Island will sink into the ocean! It’s up to Sonic and his best friend Tails to set things right again. In this fast-paced platformer, you can choose to play as either Sonic or Tails, each with their own unique abilities. Explore six varied Zones, from tropical vistas to aquatic ruins, as you race to collect the Chaos Emeralds and restore the balance of power on South Island!

actually began work on this quite a while ago, while I was still working towards earning my "developer's permit" with my first set. ;)

For this set, I created all badges and these 23 achievements:

Please enjoy! :)

rabbids4eva
Posted: 23 Jul, 2018 18:23
Since you are familiar with Game Gear games, can you try Pinball Dreams or Fantasy Zone Gear?

Flara
Posted: 24 Jul, 2018 00:33
I’m not actually familiar with either game, but I did take a quick look at Fantasy Zone Gear and it looks like it could be a possibility. I will give it some thought, and if I do decide that I would like to do it, I will add it to Planned Games (I already have three sets in active development, so it may be a while). Thanks for the suggestions! :)

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account