Forgot password?
login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

What's your opinion about the Global Leaderboard?

Page: < 1 2
AuthorMessage

kdecks
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 20:35
Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2018 20:51
We will and do untrack anyone who is proven to be cheater beyond any doubt. Suggesting new approaches to punishment isn't necessary.

amine456
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 20:37
Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2018 20:38
I disagree with removing the global leaderboard, It's a great feature for the site.

For the problem with the cheaters, maybe you should install a warnings/banning system: If someone was caught cheating with proof, the account should receive a warning or be banned. And banning would directly mean removal from the global leaderboard.

Of course the person could always create another account, but It doesn't matter as he would have lost his progress on his old account.

As such everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

Thoreau
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 20:44
I got your arguments, Jamiras, they do make sense, but I don't think the site has close to the same appeal without a global leaderboard versus with a global leaderboard. I think people would lose interest way faster.

Thoreau
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 21:51
You will never be able to tell someone is 100% a cheater. Even if someone confess in the forums, maybe there's someone pointing a gun to his head in his home forcing him to do it. Even if someone has a time faster than a WR, you could argue maybe that person is better than the WR holder but didn't apply for WR. You can always do a crazy but possible argument. It gotta get clear whoever judges someone from cheating will do it on incomplete information.

If someone gets cheevos with godlike timestamps in absolutely every game they play, in absolutely any genre, any console, mastering lots of sets everyday without taking any breaks, that still doesn't prove someone is a cheater, but this is strong evidence someone is.

Ultimately you will evaluate the possibility of the facts combined and in a lot of cases here you will get to a number that will indicate someone has higher than 99% chances of being a cheater. That gotta be enough, as I said, only a god would be able to tell 100%.

If you gotta make 999 correct decisions to 1 incorrect decision, that is much better than not doing any decision at all because you might do 1 mistake. No justice system in the world is perfect but it is better to have flawed justice systems than none at all.

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 21:57
I agree with most of all these arguments here about not removing the Leaderboard. Some people might cheat, but as of now it's the only satifiying feeling to climb up the ranking next to the points. I think this site needs a bit of PSN Magic. (Levels and Trophies)

BerserkerBR
Posted: 12 Jun, 2018 21:58
It has whiskers like a cat
It has a tail like a cat
it even sounds like a cat

But we are not sure if it is a cat

come on guys, you are better than that

DonCosmo
Posted: 13 Jun, 2018 03:36
If it shuts up the whiners kill it. The status never brought me anything but grief. Or do the opposite, whatever appeases the most pissy complainers.

DonCosmo
Posted: 13 Jun, 2018 03:38
Even with an xp system, if you can see/search other users there will be a way to see who's on top. As long as that's possible, this kind of stuff will have to be considered. Personally I think getting rid of it is pandering, hard.

JAM
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 01:52
I don't think that removing the global leaderboard is a good idea. It motivates you to play more.

But, if you ask me, I'd rebuild it to be based on retro points (white).
Reason: there are 2 players. Player A and Player B. Both have 800 points.
Player A played ~20 games in 3 hours and got a lot achivements like Get 1-up, Get a mushroom, Get power flower, Collect 10 rings, It's dangerous to go alone please take this, Get your first upgrade, collect 99 bananas, clear stage 1, find a secret that everyone knows etc.
Player B mastered the good set in 10 hours.

Player A have 850 retro points. Player B have 2500 retro points. In global leaderboard both players are equal and take ~2000th place.

meleu
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 10:49
Thanks guys.

The feedback obtained here was valuable and brought us good ideas.

SyrianBallaS
Posted: 14 Jun, 2018 11:21
I honestly don't care one way or the other, I don't even look at it.
Page: < 1 2

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account