Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 3 Apr, 2018 10:02 by

Resources:
GameFAQs
Longplay
Wikipedia

Poppers
Posted: 08 Jan, 2019 08:49
Just an update: I want to create some achievements for this game (regrettably) as my first set, but I can't find the ROM with the hash that the original poster registered with this game. The ROM I have uses the same MD5 that all the no-intro dumps have, so it seems like this is "the proper" version of the game. Could this hash be added so that development can start? The link to said no-intro page is here.

DrPixel
Posted: 08 Jan, 2019 20:30
Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2019 20:31
Someone might've added it in the time between you posting and me checking, but it seems like that ROM (a54e0acfe88fff67cb9dd5a94ac503ff) is already linked to this game entry.

Poppers
Posted: 08 Jan, 2019 21:22
Yeah, I got into the discord and asked someone for it. Just forgot that I put this message here too.

Poppers
Posted: 11 Jan, 2019 09:08
Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2019 09:09
I have the basic achievement set planned for the game. While it's probably not necessary, I included some reasonings for certain achievements, which should hopefully make the whole process a bit easier.

PROGRESSION ACHIEVEMENTS

Beat all 8 stages on all 3 difficulties (24 total).

I debated this one for a while. While it's true that it could be considered a bit spammy, there's no obvious grouping for the levels, and the linear nature of the game means there's not much else to add apart from these simple progression achievements. The plan was to make each difficulty's achievements exclusive (i.e. beating every stage on hard only unlocks the hard achievements, not the easy and medium ones) because A. the game only takes a handful of minutes on a successful run, B. if someone can beat it on Hard, they can beat it on Easy and Medium with little trouble and C. the levels increase in size with difficulty, so an Easy level is actually unique to the same level on Hard. This game needs all the extra content it can get, frankly. While it would be cool to have unique names for each achievement, it might end up just being 'Forest Medium', 'Subway Easy', etc.

TIME CHALLENGE

Find Waldo in under 10 seconds.

The time for this one hasn't quite been decided, but this seems like a good time frame for the achievement, where it isn't just hoping for good RNG, and could feasibly happen in a normal playthrough. I didn't want to do one for every level for two reasons: to avoid spam, and because if a player missed even a single one of these, they would have to play the entire game again, which could get really tedious.

SPECIAL MESSAGE

Witness the secret message on the title screen.

From the research I did *cough* Google *cough*, I only found one cheat code for the game on GameFAQs: on the title screen credits, use a code to see the Special Thanks. I didn't just want this to be 'look up the answer on Google', so I figured making a riddle to figure out the answer could be fun. This is the basic concept:

At your journey's beginning, heed the following: the captain always starts his ship the same way, in two simple, swift steps, with the crew united in timing. To begin his setup, the captain heads north and west at port-side, with the crew SELECTing Alpha and Bravo at the ship's starboard-side controls. Then, the captain quickly changes course to east and south on port, with his crew continuing to START with Alpha and Bravo. With this method, the crew is able to credit their loved ones before their voyage begins.

This just gives the achievement a bit more flair. My current line of logic is to fit this into the description of the achievement itself, but (since I'm new to this) it might not fit, in which case it'll have to be put in the forums here, shortened or possibly scrapped. This is definitely experimental, so let me know if this could work, and if it should be easier/harder!

ALTERNATE PALETTE

Find Waldo when he's not wearing red and white.

This can occasionally happen on Medium and Hard difficulties. Since this is an interesting discovery for new players, I figured this could make for a decent achievement. The title I had in mind was 'Wardrobe Malfunction'. This is sort of a progression achievement, but it doesn't really fit with the other 'stage clear' ones.

LEADERBOARDS AND RICH PRESENCE

These are kind of self-explanatory: the leaderboards would be time trials for each difficulty, and the Rich Presence would show current stage, time remaining and difficulty: something along the lines of "Finding Waldo in the [Forest, City, etc.] on [Practice, Easy, Normal, Hard] mode, ⏰=[Time]", and another for "At the Title Screen".

That's the basic plan. Naturally, feel free to give feedback and add ideas!

SanMarino
Posted: 11 Jan, 2019 13:37
Here are some ideas:
- Find Waldo when the timer is 0000
- Complete the game by finding Waldo the first time (that is, on level is allowed to press the button "A" only once, except for the Subway level and last)
- Complete the game without taking the time bonus on the "Cave" level
- In the last level to knock out 5 identical portraits, in addition to Waldo
- Poke the square in all places on the map and press the last Waldo (easy)

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account