login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

Retroarch & Saving in Hardcore Mode

AuthorMessage

DoomYoshi
Posted: 13 Mar, 2018 06:03
Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2018 12:55
I'm playing Thunder Force IV and I notice that when I hit the reset the settings and high scores stick around but every time I restart retroarch, it's as if I'm playing the game for the first time. I'm looking online for how to get it to save and there are two types of responses a)use save states (which is impossible for hardcore achievements) and b)use the exit retroarch command.

It is possible the game doesn't actually have any memory and that the reset on Genesis just works like that.

Does anyone know how to do b? There is a quit retroarch button but it still also doesn't work. I know there are people playing RPGs on RA in hardcore, so how do they save?

Searo
Posted: 13 Mar, 2018 15:21
Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2018 15:21
Hey DoomYoshi, it sounds like something might not be configured correctly. You should definitely not be losing progress when resetting or closing RetroArch. Perhaps specific games were designed with this behavior but I doubt that.

First I would look up where your save directory is in RetroArch. This should be somewhere under settings inside of Retroarch and for me my default save path was in RetroArch/saves so check to see if you have a save file in that folder for Thunder Force IV.

If that doesn't work I would try a different game, maybe one that has a save screen in-game, and try saving and then restarting RetroArch.

DoomYoshi
Posted: 13 Mar, 2018 15:46
Ok, so there is a save file, it's just weird how reset and restart have different responses.

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account