Forgot password?
login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

Downtown Special: Kunio-Kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou!

Page: 1 2 >
AuthorMessage

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 05:22
Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 20 Dec, 2017 05:22 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Downtown+Special:+Kunio-Kun+no+Jidaigeki+Dayo+Zenin+Shuugou!+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Downtown+Special:+Kunio-Kun+no+Jidaigeki+Dayo+Zenin+Shuugou!+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Downtown+Special:+Kunio-Kun+no+Jidaigeki+Dayo+Zenin+Shuugou!+

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 05:23
Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2018 15:54

revixter
Posted: 08 Jan, 2018 04:55
Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2018 18:11
Still need to write the RPS and fix the screenshots. It appears the original Japanese ROM is compatible.

revixter
Posted: 10 Jan, 2018 15:19
Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2018 15:39
There are a bunch of things to note for this game, so here we go!

First off, the emulator used matters. Nestopia UE will load the achievements but they will not pop as intended. QuickNES crashes whenever you do certain actions rendering it unusable. FCEUmm seems to be the Goldilocks here as it works just right. If you have any issues getting your controller to work in FCEUmm, message me and I'll help you sort it out.

When you first begin Downtown Special, the intro movie will inform you to find Kanpou for Bunzo. How do you find Bunzo's medicine? By kicking the crap out of everyone you meet! Obviously!

So how do we do that?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/577192-downtown-special-kunio-kun-no-jidaigeki-dayo-zenin-shuugou/faqs/46268
The map is your friend. To open the map, pause the game with the start button and then press the B button. The world is actually very, very small and once you galavant around for a bit you'll get the hang of which exits lead you where. Each zone consists of a handful of different areas. Whenever you leave the current zone the bald dude will pop up and let you know. If you're looking for a gang in specific zone, make sure you are looking in the right place!

Now that we know how to locate gangs, the progression of the game is somewhat linear. As you beat each gang another gang (or two) will unlock until you finally reach the end boss. It never really deviates from this pattern. The Generic Dudes (light blue) and Frat Guys (pink) almost always appear and seek you out heavily. If you need to build up money just sit on the map screen and watch as these gangs approach your current zone. Once in the same zone, leave the map and walk to the different areas to find and pulverize them.

It is recommended you purchase and equip the MAP CRSR (map cursor) item ASAP. This item actually lets you travel between zones on the map screen with a simple tap of the A button. This really picks up the pace and allows the game to shine.

Breakdown of achieves:
Every achieve is either bronze (5 points), silver (10 points) or gold (20 points). This is denoted by the color of border around each icon.

4 story achieves, one freebie (intro movie), one midway through the game, and 2 endings.
17 gang achieves. Pretty straight forward here, just beat everything that moves. I was going to originally only do a handful of these but eh, it was easy to make one for each gang. I tried to use River City Ransom gang names wherever applicable. Because this game contains more gangs than RCR, I used some well known fictional gang names to round it out (Jets, Sharks, Hurricanes, etc).
10 stat achieves. Using the GROWTH option in the settings menu you can set the rate of how you learn abilities. It is HIGHLY recommended that you work on defense after defeating Nizae (Squids gang).
8 weapon achieves. To unlock these you must enter a zone with the specified weapon and not drop it for the entire fight with a gang, including the boss. If you get hit, fall over, etc you will fail and need to leave the area to retry. It is recommended you turn off your ally's AI (set it to 2 player) or at least set his weapon usage to NONE under the ALLY option in the menu.
2 gambling achieves. Easy peasy.
4 item achieves. Obtain and use/equip certain items.
3 tech achieves. Earning techs can be very RNG so I decided against something ridiculous like learning all techs in a single playthrough. If these prove too easy I may modify them by adding more requirements.
3 other achieves. Hot Stuff is pretty straight forward. Circus Performer can be tough but there is an obvious trick to it. I may adjust the time on it to 15 or 20 seconds after testing. Heavy-handed is probably the hardest achieve in the bunch because it requires your character to be fairly strong and is easy to mess up. NOTE: Make sure you hit each of the beginning two enemies once before killing either one, otherwise the achievement will not pop.

I'd like to add more achievements with special caveats so if you have any ideas let me know and if it's feasible (and fun sounding) I'll add it.

As great as the combat system is, it is super easy to cheese... and I mean super, super easy. I was going to make achieves to beat everything on the hardest difficulty but truth is, it's not really any more difficult. You just need to cheese it longer. I am aware of a cheat that maxes out your money and techs and I still need to find a clever way to prevent the player from earning achieves after entering it. The problem is, so many of these achieves are already watching so many variables and using so many alt conditions that adding multiple checks will make it downright ridiculous. I'll certainly spend more time on it to see if I'm missing something obvious. A "FailIf" condition would be super nice here.

As always, if an achievement fails to pop or pops out of place, please please please put in a bug report (or message me, post here, etc).

Salsa
Posted: 10 Jan, 2018 16:43
I would suggest keeping original title, because most (if not all) of the sets, who were made using translations are named as original. It's rare for a set based on patched ROM not to be compatible with original, unless the code was based on the values related to the dialogue or anything that were changed. It's better to leave the original title, if there is no official translated title, simply beacuse the title from the patch is not official. Also there is no clue if the actual translation is good, and if a person who knows japanse would like to play the untouched version, I think we should allow it.
"Downtown Special" is also not the translation of the original title, but the part of untranslated title that appear western. The fact it's a part of the title wouldn't be much of the difference for the search engine, if you will type in "Downtown Special" the original title would appear regardless. The original title in full form also consis the part that is shared among a few other games in the series. By this I mean the name of the protagonist: Kunio-kun. I think it's another good reason to keep the original title of the game.

revixter
Posted: 10 Jan, 2018 17:21
Okay, I'll switch it back. I did find another game that starts with Downtown Special so it could cause confusion. The translated title is something like It's Kunio's Period Drama, Let's Get Together! Seriously, how fun are the Japanese? I'll try to get the spelling to be as phonetically proper as possible.

Salsa
Posted: 10 Jan, 2018 17:57
The other unofficial translation is "Downtown Special: Its Kunio's Period Piece, Assemble Everyone!!", and you can produce more like for example "Downtown Special: It's Kunio's Era Drama, All Members Gather!" Still if we would get the official localization it would be completely renamed either to something really silly or matching River City Ransom.

kdecks
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 06:15
Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2018 07:46
Personally I get nothing from having a Japanese name as the title.

But for those who do is it because you know these game names from their Japanese titles? It is preservation? Is the translated title worse that what is effectively gibberish for don't speak Japanese? It may as well be in kanji if you're spelling out the Japanese using Latin characters.

I think the best compromise for all games that fit in this category is to either include the both Japanese, perhaps in kanji, or English and a translated or westernized name for the rest of us split with a /.

Mutawarrior
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 09:04
I keep both names (Japanese title in English/Roman letters separated by a slash followed by the English title) for accuracy/preservation (was involved in the MAME project so I take preservation very seriously).

revixter
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 14:13
At some point down the road I'm planning to make a set for . This is based on a manga/anime that is already decently well known in the west as "Eternal Filena". Would you guys be comfortable with the game being named "Eien no Filena / Eternal Filena"?

Salsa
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 16:31
Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2018 16:40
@kdecks When the japanese is original, and it's the only known version every translation of the title will only be an interpretation. Even official translations are interpretations, unless the author of the title will translate it. It's like with different translations of the books - a lot of them are something different than the original. For example, I've recently read "Burmese Days" by Orwell, reading the polish translation some time ago. It brought different feeling. That's why I always wanted to learn japanese, to recieve original, "unpolluted" experience. And that's why the original title is the most important for me, regardless of the language.

@revixter
In that case I wouldn't mind if it would just Eternal Filena, but if we want to make a standard, I suggest including both titles... although some of them are quite long, like the game of this thread. I've changed Eternal Filena entry to how I would it prefer to be executed.

edit. I've checked and the title have the limit of 80 characters (with spaces), so in this case it wouldn't be possible to include both titles.

Mutawarrior
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 18:53
Would it be possible for an increase in the character limit in the future?

kdecks
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 22:11
I get your point about multiple titles, but a Japanese title still isn't especially helpful to me or others who are not already familiar with it nor should we be expected to read Japanese for sake of accuracy. If you extended that argument you could say that fan translations are polluting games.

It seems so long as it can fit having both is preferred.

ダウンタウン スペシャル♥ くにおくんの 時代劇だよ 全員集合!
or
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zenin Shūgō!
or
Downtown Special: Kunio's Historical Drama - All Together Now!

Talk about title gore.

Nowun
Posted: 11 Jan, 2018 23:08
If you heard about this game you would look up it's true, real, actual Japanese name. If you were to ask people about it, they're more likely to be familiar with the real name as many are not even aware translations exist. Also would using the translated rom and name be more accurate with ~hack~ in front of it then?

kdecks
Posted: 12 Jan, 2018 05:46
For this game that's probably true but often not in other J games.

We don't need to consider translations hacks even though though they technically are. It was a rhetorical point.

And if many or most players prefer Latin Japanese names who am I to argue?
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account