Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 7 Dec, 2017 04:44 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Dragon+Quest+VI+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Dragon+Quest+VI+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Dragon+Quest+VI+

revixter
Posted: 07 Dec, 2017 04:45
Reserving this as my next game to make a set for! Expect it in 1-2 months (100+ achieve, 400 point set).

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 05:20
With trepidation I say this set is live and ready to go. I figured since the game itself did a good job of forcing the player to grind I would keep the achievements focused on game completion (and all its little caveats). I did not create an achievement to max out the best dressed contest cause, honestly, I found it boring as heck. Merry Christmas, RA. Hopefully you enjoy this 105 achievement set! ..and hopefully it works!! :D

As always, if something fails to trigger or triggers out place, PLEASE put in a bug report.

HippopotamusRex
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 08:45
Dang that was fast! I wasn't expecting DQ6 this soon. It'll give me something to do tomorrow.

alecTwhite
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 15:29
Last Edit: 20 Dec, 2017 15:40
I can't get this to work. If I patch the rom myself I get a black screen but the achievements show. If I use a prepatched rom the game loads, but the achievements don't load, showing this page http://retroachievements.org/Game/1407.

Edit: I found the problem, I had to patch using the same tool you mentioned "snesROMUtil". I was using flips. This is the first time flips has given me any sort of trouble. Thanks!

Salsa
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 15:53
Last Edit: 20 Dec, 2017 16:08
The set looks really good. Still it gives me impression of focusing mostly, if not only, on progress, and that bassically means a structure of small checkpoints.
I don't know this game, but I must ask if there is any content here that is unrelated to standard gameplay, and by this I don't mean bonus stuff the game offers (missable stuff). I would like to promote "meta game" addition to any set, because set developement in my opinion should be all about attempt of adding something extra to usual completionist experience. Not necessarily anything grindy, but for example something like:

Such stuff brings more edge to the set, and everything that is properly spiced up tastes better. Not much of it is needed really, but any ammount makes the set richer.
Only one thing feel unnecessary for me. Depending on how missable they are, the best would be to go with one or two achievements for medals.
All of this is just my point of view. I know a lot of RPG sets here are pure progress, and sometimes it's really hard to make something extra, that won't be just extra obnoxious.

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 19:13
This game has so much content and forces the player to grind ridiculously to advance so I focused more on making sure the player actually sees everything it has to offer. There are some inherent meta achieves built into the game itself, for example, boss of bosses requires you to beat him in 20 turns or less. There is just so much to do I already had an additional 15 achieves I didnt upload because it was getting out of control. My next set is going to be Kunio Downtown Special for the NES so expect the vast majority of those achieves to carry special conditions.

alecTwhite
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 20:48
Last Edit: 20 Dec, 2017 20:52
Didn't trigger, I assume it's referring to the well you need to go in to exit the dream world for the first time.
I died at the beginning of the tower and when I finally got to the top Hassan had gotten there first so I didn't have to fight nelson, but the achievement still triggered.

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 21:32
Thank you, alec. I fixed well, well, Well... the values were left blank after copying another similar achieve, derp. Head back through the well (or just to the other side) for it to trigger as intended. I didn't realize picking up the pieces had an alternate route so the text was reworded to not include the Nelson part. I'm sure these are the first of many issues so I'll fix em as you guys find em. Again, thanks very much for the feedback!

alecTwhite
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 21:54
You actually don't collect the broken heart at all, in the alternate route Hassan gets it and the chest is empty, so it might make more sense to say "reach the top of the tower", or maybe make the achievement "defeat Nelson" and just make it miss-able if you take the alternate route.

revixter
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 22:14
Ah, roger that, will fix it now!

Salsa
Posted: 20 Dec, 2017 23:27
Last Edit: 20 Dec, 2017 23:40
Some games bring additional challenge, but this isn't meta game I am talking about. Like I've said before, bonus content is not a meta game, because everyone who knows the game, knows about it already. What I mean is something, someone could think about but not included in actual game... Well I could treat the bonus challenge as a "meta" game, but it's not what I've meant. Meta game related to achievements is completely custom... which means it's not related to experience the game gives you without achievements.

revixter
Posted: 21 Dec, 2017 00:01
I get what you're saying, in this case I didn't feel any embellishment was warranted. Sometimes, games are great and you want a reason to play it more, and RA makes a wonderful use to squeeze extra out of games. Other times, especially when a game is 40+ hours in gameplay... the achievement set itself simply existing is the reason to finally pick it up. Give me a carrot to witness everything I can and let me move on to the next thing. In a game like River City Ransom, I agree completely with you. I actually REALLY dislike that set because it should be embellished SOOOO much more. No beating Simon with all 15 in your stats and no techniques? C'mon, give me a break. Getting all the achieves in that game took less than an hour, it is good enough to warrant 10 hours or more.

All of this is a matter of taste. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. You may love baseball but there is nothing you will ever be able to say to make me think it is even vaguely interesting.

alecTwhite
Posted: 21 Dec, 2017 01:06
Last Edit: 21 Dec, 2017 01:17
Unlocked early at the same time as:

and Unlocked while I was fighting the well demon outside Grandmaz house.

revixter
Posted: 21 Dec, 2017 02:09
Those have been addressed and are hopefully fixed now. Thanks again, alec!
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account