login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Crash Team Racing

Page: < 1 2
AuthorMessage

MGNS8M
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 16:14
After day-after-day testing on the game, I'd mostly just like some time to rest a little before that happens and I need to do more troubleshoot-testing. I test as much as I can in Local so I can fix things rapidly by using Notepad++ to Find-Replace things, if they can be. Otherwise the rules have changed several times, and I'm not sure if we need to give time for others to say what they want on it. And there are still some things I want to try doing to make sure they work, or don't-work when saves are loaded(although none of them should, but there are always quirks and things you didn't think of).

As far as things I didn't do, I probably could have done the "race around the overworld" thing, but the timer-address I wanted to use could just as easily loop(although it would take 25 minutes and resets when an actual race is started) with no indication that it had, and anyone who tried to do the achievement could possibly lose due to that. Also several other reasons, map-IDs aren't in a predictable-order for greater-than/less-than checks, etc etc.

Relics were a strange thing in RAM, instead of being accumulative, sapphires and golds single-bits turn off if you get gold or platinum respectively, and they're inter-mixed in such a weird way you can't make logical checks to easily know if they got one or improved and got the other. I was going to group them per-world but that would have required a massively exponential amount of checks.

So I just went with the Crash-3 method of getting gold-or-better on each track, even though the game doesn't care what color relic you have and only rewards you for getting all of them. Sapphires could be made but that would require 3 alt-group checks and I dislike having too many alt-checks if I don't need to, and it would spam another 18 achievements to the set. I originally was going to use Platinum-only but it's pretty absurdly difficult when the game doesn't require platinum-only anywhere(although salvador tells me the Oxide time-trial-ghosts are way harder, so I dunno).

All "bad" cheats should be refuted. Character cheats shouldn't matter, unless someone links a version that shouldn't be here. Couldn't find boosts in RAM for some reason, so didn't make anything related to those ... but the amount of achievements is already large enough without trivial things like that anyway(and you'll be using plenty of boosts in the relic and ghost challenges, so that's basically covered in those). I think everything else was covered.

Blazekickn
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 17:34
>I probably could have done the "race around the overworld" thing, but the timer-address I wanted to use could just as easily loop

you can use a delta!=mem hit counter to reset after a certain amount of hits.

Though i disagree i understand. Day 1 tickets always suck.

I did shit on you a bit for your mk64 save protection a while back but you're overall a good dev. Was looking forward to the set ever since i saw you took over as lead. Guess i can wait a few more days.

MGNS8M
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 20:58
Yeah, that might work, it's been a while since they've added hit-counters to ResetIfs, I still haven't quite used that yet. I was kind of hoping each area's ID would be in some kind of consecutive order, but they were jumbled around, so detecting movement between each area is difficult to know without them just going back and forth between the same two areas.

Nah don't worry about it, I definitely understand the frustration. Might not have to be a few days, but I just want to poke around a bit and make sure I have the right idea on things. Otherwise yeah, having other people play on it is the best way to get feedback since they'll do things I wouldn't do, since I'm trying to make sure it works, rather than always think about how it wouldn't work.

NainPulsif
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 21:46
Hey
shortcut achivement planned ?

I'm not a developer and I don't know if it's difficult to made an achievement but it would be cool to have one

Blazekickn
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 21:51
doesn't look like it from the unofficial achievements, though you'll probably need them to get a quick enough time for some of these. While i agree shortcut achievements should be included apparently they're hard to code, though I doubt they're impossible. If i ever decide to work on some for mk64 i might take a look here.

NainPulsif
Posted: 09 Oct, 2019 22:01
okayy, thanks for your answer. ;)

MGNS8M
Posted: 10 Oct, 2019 01:18
One of the main ways for checking shortcuts was through coordinates, and those are pretty hard to get to line up without being way-too-precise and require a pixel-perfect area that many people would likely miss. Maybe with the new tools we have, it could be slightly-more possible with things like AndNext, but I've barely started using those to know how they work.... that's why I didn't include them in MK64, although some coordinates were more one-directional, so doing things like visit-Peach-Castle-then-win weren't too difficult, but others were.

But yeah, shortcuts will need to be used extensively throughout the game anyway, sometimes to get the CTR tokens, and especially to get relics, or N.Tropy and Oxide ghosts. You will basically be getting shortcut-achievements through those.

Blazekickn
Posted: 10 Oct, 2019 01:21
Andnext is the greatest thing since sliced kitchen sink. I highly recommend leaning how to use it. Such a good addition to the toolkit.
Page: < 1 2

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account