Page: 1 2 3 4 >
AuthorMessage

Klip
Posted: 20 Feb, 2014 15:26
Last Edit: 18 Oct, 2017 23:31
Official Topic Post for discussion about
Resources:
Longplay:

Game Manual: (http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_NES/manual/Formated/Castlevania_-_1987_-_Konami.pdf)
Guides FAQs Maps: https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/578318-castlevania/faqs

Updated Resources by

JonnyRetro
Posted: 23 Feb, 2014 11:54
what version rom do i need?

im using the US version.. got to level 3 and nothing popped.. :(

Klip
Posted: 23 Feb, 2014 13:06
I used US, and only had trouble getting the Dracula-No Damage one to pop...so, not sure haha.

PManningFan1618
Posted: 06 Mar, 2014 02:27
Is all of the achievements working in this game now?

Klip
Posted: 06 Mar, 2014 03:49
As far as I know. I have them all, but the one for no damage on Dracula took me like 8 tries. I made a save state before the fight and kept trying and then randomly got it one time.

PManningFan1618
Posted: 06 Mar, 2014 06:28
Ok I'll take a look at that one. When it finally unlocked did you use a sub-weapon? For instance something that does multiple hits?

PManningFan1618
Posted: 11 Mar, 2014 03:30
I fixed the Legendary Vampire Hunter Achievement. If there are any other achievements that are not working let me know.

Salsa
Posted: 13 Dec, 2015 13:04
There are some weird reqs in some of achievements in this set.
and uses "Secret Area?" value, which is highly unstable, making this achievements to be impossible to unlock while using PRG0 version. On the other hand in PRG1 version, both of them are possible, yet aren't triggering within some situations.
In such circumstances I would revise all the bug report tickets for the game in the Ticket Manager, to find why such reqs were inserted in the first place. Yet still it's impossible to filter them per game, and turning hundred of pages to find them is just one demotivating labour for me. Thus I've decided to remove these reqs, as I assume they are pointless here.

Xunkar
Posted: 12 Jan, 2016 11:51
I believe you went a little overboard with these new achievements. One for each secret? I don't really see the point of achievements for secrets, but if you want to have that at least regroup them per level.

And splitting Bloody Leather in 5 parts? Don't you think that's a little overkill?

Maybe I'm being a little rash but I'm tired of seeing complete games gaining new and most of the time discussable achievements.

Salsa
Posted: 12 Jan, 2016 20:07
I'm tired of replying for such posts...

1. 400 points doesn't always mean that the set is complete. This list was lacking, not only for me.
2. Ingame secrets pointless for making achievements with? You're kidding, right?
3. You have something against the number of added achievements? I would love to group them, not per stage, but per kind of item (one for all treasures, one for all meats etc.). Either way it is impossible to do it in current developing environment with current developing tools. As I wanted to include every secret, and I would like to make 4 or 5 achievements, but I was forced to make 40, because of the limits of RA system.
4. "Bloody Leather" was splitted, because as a one walktrough achievement, it was a nightmare of a challenge (every killed enemy can drop a subweapon or VK upgrade); splitting gives a possability of retrying the achievement by restarting the level (after game over).

If I will find a good potential in the game, which still wasn't used it its set, I will keep upgrading every list, I would like. No matter if it's 400 points or not, no matter if someone won't like it.
If you keep complaining about it, without any solid arguments, that will by your own problem. Booyah!

Xunkar
Posted: 13 Jan, 2016 08:05
I see.

Yes achievements for secrets are not my thing but as I said personal preferences, doesn't matter. Something to do with skill vs completion.

Limits you say? If you cannot make a set of achievements properly then refrain from pushing them to core. Discuss the faisability on this very board etc.

So you will make achievements on a whim? Do you get the idea of open source and community? This is not your playground.

There are no reasons to split achievements. If it's tough so be it. That's the point of an achievement isn't it.

Dexterspet
Posted: 13 Jan, 2016 08:37
Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2016 08:38
Community discussion on individual games is something that one can't just hope for realistically. Nobody around here wants to discuss things most of the time unless the achievements already exist as part of the core set, sitting around waiting for people to come discuss your ideas could take anywhere from a week to a few months and that's just horribly inefficient when you could just push it to core and hear the feedback almost immediately. I'm sure we all know the idea of open source and community, which is why I think we can all realize that the set is never final and can always be changed, and that this community is better off when they're actually discussing things already existing instead of an idea.

The RA development set has always been limited and there are so many things we'd like to do to make everything more pleasing, but there are things in games that absolutely should have achievements that we can't create efficiently without upgrades that it seems everybody has been waiting for for a long time. If you would prefer the developers just sit around on an idea for multiple months just waiting for the toolset to be updated in just such a fashion that makes it possible to do optimally when it can be made as it is now with slightly less efficiency, then I think that's just silly thinking.

The point of an achievement isn't to be difficult, but that's not a discussion that needs getting torn into at the moment. I think this achievement is fine being split up, but I can see why people wouldn't want it to be. It, at some points, can just ruin your entire run because of random chance. I think that split up it is a lot more user-friendly and still shows the same amount of skill going through all at once would, while cutting back on the drawbacks of bad luck by a drastic degree.

Xunkar
Posted: 13 Jan, 2016 09:42
To be honest, I don't see how regrouping those secrets achievements is impossible/difficult. Considering that—I may have misunderstood—each achievement is based on a specific jingle playing, I can see a counter for that and validating the right count at the end of the stage, with a reset condition upon death (can't remember if secrets are still available after death, not continue). I might look into it. Having too many achievements—especially if they can be factorized—impedes legibility and strikes me as amateur. This has nothing to do with anyone coding skill by the way.

Now, if a game has no achievements, it's perfectly fine to push anything to core in my opinion, but a game where there is a complete set (even if said set could benefit from new achievements) should be treated with more care. The reason is that newly added achievements may not be properly working right away, or provided feedback might change them drastically. However, in the meantime, people will still be playing the game on RA because it was already marked as complete and user experience will somewhat suffer from that.

The point of an achievement is to be difficult, hence its name, you need feel you're achieving something. But as I said, I understand the desire to have achievements based on other factors including completion, progression or even luck. In any case, it's not a bad idea to have a bit of both. You speak of making achievements user-friendly, and I say let there be a challenge. What's the point of achievements if anyone can reach 200% on every single game? I want to see rare achievements, and splitting them to make them easier or friendlier strikes me as counter-intuitive.

Dexterspet
Posted: 13 Jan, 2016 11:10
Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2016 11:11
I was speaking from a vague point of view on having a lot of achievements. If there is a way to group them with the way things currently are then I say they definitely should be grouped that way, even if it's not the preferred way to do so. I wasn't aware secret items made a unique jingle, but if it is stable enough to group them then I say that should be done. Though coding seems as if it'd be kind of iffy, using hitcounts on SE values just makes for sloppy-looking code being the best you can hope for.

I still stand by that things don't really get feedback unless the game is really popular or things are put into core. If something were posted here, it'd probably get some response since it's Castlevania. I do believe there was some in retroachievements.org/viewtopic.php?t=1738&o=15, a back and forth with another user to iron some things out, so it's not like they just came right out of the blue. The base ideas were also first suggested by the other user. Granted this wasn't a full blown community debate but it's the best you could really expect to have. It's not like they go completely untested, either. It should be a standard that all achievements be tested by the developers in local before uploading them, at least the base code should be confirmed logical. I do believe Salsa does this well enough to warrant confidence in pushing to core working well.

I believe achievements can give you the feeling of achieving something without being difficult, but difficulty using things like luck is something that would be best cut back on anyway. The split also included whip upgrades alongside subweapons, so it's not like it's the same exact achievement just split into parts either. I will say that all the secrets being split individually make the page look rather cluttered but the subweaponless ones fit in just as well with other sets that would split similar challenges up. I just think it's generally better to seperate them because, as I said, it showcases the same amount of skill with the only difference being you don't have to reset the game whenever you get screwed over.

Xunkar
Posted: 13 Jan, 2016 13:34
Hm I also noticed the multiple scoring achievements have been removed, that doesn't make any sense...
Page: 1 2 3 4 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account