Forgot password?
login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

The Legend of Dragoon

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AuthorMessage

Posted: 03 Feb, 2020 18:35
Got it, I'll be sure to only play disc 1 for now :)

Posted: 04 Feb, 2020 05:03
Last Edit: 04 Feb, 2020 05:04
Everyone, I have a preliminary draft set of twenty-one new achievements for the planned Phase II release. It is listed below. Note that most of the gains are in Discs 2 and 4. Disc 3, as it turns out, was harder to find more opportunities to develop new and interesting achievements for, so there are considerably fewer new ones on that disc than the others.

What's In Your Wallet? (5)
- With Shana benched, defeat Mappi while using no more than two items.

No Flinching! (10)
- Defeat Gehrich and Mappi without guarding.

The Flash (25)
- Defeat Lenus in Fletz after transforming into a Dragoon on your first turn.

An Enemy Unmasked (1)
- Expose the one pulling the strings behind the Tiberoan coup.

Magician's Hat-Trick (5)
- Defeat the Magician Bogy Trio simultaneously.

Everything but the Kitchen Sink (10)
- Defeat the Ghost Commander using only items.

The Band Gets Back Together (1)
- Find your way back to the group after an unfortunate dive into the depths.

Muggles Do It Better (10)
- Defeat Lenus and Regole without using Dragoon transformations.

Tag, You're It (10)
- Break the seal in Kadessa without getting caught by any of the Spinning Heads.

Only the Dauntless May Wield Me (25)
- Defeat the Grand Jewel while guarding no more than five times.

One Spirit to Rule Them All (1)
- Witness the birth of a new Dragoon Spirit.

Confidence, or Recklessness? (10)
- Defeat Lloyd while triggering a second-level Dragoon Special in battle at least once.

Vengeance Begets Vengeance (1)
- Spare the life the one who's caused your company the most pain.

Last Calamari (10)
- Defeat Last Kraken using only Additions.

Savan's Last Hope (1)
- Carry out the will of the one who wished to protect the world.

Jury Nullification (10)
- Defeat Kubila, Selebus, and Vector simultaneously with Dragoon magic.

The Power of Soa Compels You! (10)
- Defeat Zackwell within eighteen moves.

Pesticide Quarantine (10)
- Defeat the Imago without using any items.

It Was Easier When He Had No Name (25)
- Defeat Michael without guarding.

Leave No Trace Behind (5)
- Destroy the arm of the Super Virage on the Moon before either its head or its body.

An All-Out Attack (10)
- Defeat Zieg in one of three ways: Additions only, Dragoons only, or items only.

I somehow managed to avoid adding to Disc 1's achievement count, and besides some of the story beat fluff achievements, I tried to make the new ones interesting and challenging in their own right and yet still within the realm of development feasibility. There are some challenges to face with this one, however.

1. Balance: I worry that some of these may be too hard or demanding. So obviously, with playtesting coupled with player feedback, balancing issues will almost certainly become manifest in some capacity. It is certainly not my goal to "defeat" the players of my sets--that's just inhumane game design--so I intend to make sure the combat-related ones are neither freebies nor egregiously punishing.

2. More addresses: Believe it or not, I haven't even touched Dragoon stuff within battles at all. How Dragoon Additions work or Dragoon magic and other stuff works is still a mystery to me, made even more mysterious by the fact that, depending on party composition, memory addresses aren't static. I may need to introduce some additional restrictions, similar to how I did with some achievements in the previous set, to keep the number of conditions at a manageable level.

That should be all. Thoughts, everyone?

Posted: 04 Feb, 2020 10:36
Everything looks possible and reasonable, especially compared to other sets (like the FF6 set full of weird conditions achievements,destiny of an emperor set, and some of the FF7's set) so that's great.

A promising developper indeed

Posted: 04 Feb, 2020 13:28
Destiny of an Emperor
- I'm very vocal about how this set was handled... It'll definitely be revised at some point. Last I checked, there were still 90+ achievements that no one had earned, simply because the set has an overwhelming amount of arbitrary conditions that are more of a chore than anything. Extremely disruptive to the playing experience.

A promising developer indeed
- This. Developing a set for a JRPG, Tactical-RPG, etc. can be a massive undertaking compared to other types of games. There's only a select few who are willing to suffer through it :D

Posted: 04 Feb, 2020 14:35
Thanks for the praise and feedback, guys! My main hope is that I necessitate some additional strategy on the part of players. Here's hoping it does just that without being too frustrating.

There's only a select few who are willing to suffer through it :D

With The Legend of Dragoon, there was little suffering to be had, lol. It's been a blast!

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 11:55
So far, not really experiencing any issues other than the ones i've reported already, have mainly been using this as an excuse to play the game again if i had paid attention to this forum, probably would have done more backup saves along the way.

Now in terms of how I do combat in this game, most of these would probably have been done without me really trying, and since it's usually recommended to fight most things you see and not run, should be easily doable, especially if you did some early grinding for addition side of things.

Now, looking at that fact, will be more consistent with saving via extra save files in case i do go back to complete those achievements planned for release but for now, just looking to complete what i can to find any other potential issues. gonna be asleep but starting disc 3 once i wake up~

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 15:21
Last Edit: 05 Feb, 2020 15:23
Thank you for reporting all these issues! I hope to continue to see you go over the game and report any others you see.

As for the difficulty, that's just the nature of RPGs, really. Get to a high enough level, and you make most of them a breeze. I could put level restrictions to avoid that, but that would probably be an unwelcome concept, as, since there's no way to freeze your level or de-level at certain spots beyond modifying memory, it would require you to restart the whole game if you accidentally leveled too much.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Admittedly, one of my game design philosophies is "never let greater challenge compromise the player experience." Anybody have thoughts on this?

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 16:07
As long as you don't make insanely hard achievements that simply don't make players want to play the game, that's good.

Decently hard achievements are good, though, but the problem is that in Legend of Dragoon, that's pretty hard to find challenging stuff to do. Most of your ideas kinda shows the limit of what is possible while not being dumb for this mostly simple battle system, compared to the materia system for exemple.

I mean, feel free to add an achievement for "finishing the game while not performing a single addition in the entire game", and see if people like that :)

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 18:00
Last Edit: 05 Feb, 2020 18:23
I appreciate you working to make this happen! One question on the .cue or .m3u file. I read in the RALibRetro forum that .m3u files are used for multiple disc games. I have a .cue file for each disc but when I create a .m3u playlist that contains the four binary file locations the emulator crashes. Is the solution to use four separate .cue files for each disc, one .cue file with all four binary files files in it, or to use the .m3u in a way I am unfamiliar with?

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 18:37
With the ps1 games I played on RaLibretro which have multiple discs, I simply renamed my save file (which is 2 files actually) when I needed to switch disc, changing just a number to match the other file.

This works for games that offer to save before having to change disc (this one and FF7 at least).

But one thing to note for legend of dragoon, is that if you want to go to an area which require a previous disc, to get the earth dragoon spirit early, or fight optional bosses where you need to be in disc 4, but are located in disc 3 areas, then I THINK that you will have to save the game on the world map before changing discs, since the world map should be available for all discs.

There might be other ways, but this one should work

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 18:39
I believe you use a .m3u file with the list of all the names of your .cue files, but I could be wrong on that. Honestly, I'e had the same issue while developing the set, so I worked around the issue with using the individual discs and using save states. Others more enlightened than I may have a better answer, though.

I mean, feel free to add an achievement for "finishing the game while not performing a single addition in the entire game", and see if people like that :)

And deprive people from hearing "VOLCANO!" eighty times? That'd be sacrilegious on its own. :P

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 18:43
Yes, create a m3u file (just make a text document and change the extension after you save it) listing the exact names the cue files.

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 19:46
I appreciate the help guys. The methods listed above worked perfectly for me. Look forward to progressing through an old favorite.

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 21:11
if you want to, can see if there's any interest in a low level bonus set separate from the main set. Though that might be a bit too convoluted in terms of setup and would require plenty of testing.

Posted: 05 Feb, 2020 22:19
Oh, I'd certainly be interested in developing such a set. Perhaps even develop a set for a standard Hard Mode that I know some people in the community are working on.

That would be a while off, however. Perhaps a Phase III thing.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account