Legend of Dragoon, The (USA) (Disc 4) [SCUS_945.86]
RA Checksum: d759ac59e5f7bd34d4d6bc8e3a281ba5

List of all developers interested in working on a set for this game:

Posted: 19 Nov, 2017 21:29
List of ideas/planned achievements:

Posted: 24 Nov, 2018 12:02

Posted: 22 Nov, 2019 11:02
Last Edit: 23 Nov, 2019 04:42
Gotta have achievements for recruiting party members, as well as ones for Mastering Additions.... and possibly one for getting one party member's additions all up to 99, (the maximum number the game will show) including the one unlocked for mastering all of that character's other additions.

Posted: 11 Dec, 2019 05:56
I'm dying over here waiting for achievements!

Posted: 12 Dec, 2019 04:13
same

Posted: 10 Jan, 2020 02:03
Last Edit: 14 Jan, 2020 23:29
So, I've taken a serious interest in creating achievements for this game. I've even made significant progress on identifying a good deal of addresses in memory dedicated to character level, HP, Addition EXP, and all that other good stuff--so I guess it's kinda happening.

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to dedicate all my time to this set or even complete it in a timely manner, but my hope is that I can at the very least provide a starting point with documenting memory addresses that can help everyone who may be interested in building upon the work, which is probably the majority of the battle anyway.

So, that said, my current planned achievement set is as follows (notes for each are followed in italics):

* Just One More! (1)
- Perform your first Addition.

Should be relatively easy to implement once I identify all memory addresses that store each character's Additions' EXP stats. I could just do this with Double Slash, but it's technically possible to go through the entire game without completing a single Addition until you get your last party member. So, it's probably wise to make it foolproof.

* Tears from Above (5)
- Find a piece of Stardust for the first time.

Should also be easy to implement, as I've already identified the memory address that stores the number of Stardust collected.

* Halfway There (10)
- Collect 25 Stardust.

See "Tears from Above".

* Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Stardust (25)
- Collect all 50 Stardust.

See "Tears from Above".

* Practice Makes Perfect (10)
- Completely master an Addition of a single character.

Pretty much follows the same logic as "Just One More!" above, only the number to check will be 79 to 80 for all possible Additions, sans Ultimates, instead of from 0 to 1.

* Turbo Fingers (10)
- Get a damage multiplier of 200% or more when using a multi-attack magic item.

I haven't yet identified the memory address that stores the multi-attack damage multiplier, but I imagine it won't be that hard to do if it's constant throughout the game. I'm also debating whether or not this achievement should even be in the game, considering it could be cheesed with turbo.

* No Ordinary Keepsake (10)
- Awaken the Dragoon Spirit of the Red-Eyed Dragon.

Something tells me this won't be that hard, but that depends on how the game implements the Dragoon Spirit indicator on the status screen. I'll also have to make sure it doesn't trigger when you get the Dragoon Spirit back after Mappi steals it in Chapter 2.

* You Killed My Father; Prepare to Die (10)
- Acquire the Dragoon Spirit of the Jade Dragon.

Similar reasoning as above.

* Drink Up, Me Hearties, Yo Ho! (25)
- Successfully open the locked chest on the Queen's Fury within two attempts.

Memory addresses not yet identified. This is only theoretical.

* The Boy Who Cried "Kamuy!" (10)
- Defeat Kamuy.

* What Happens After Death? (25)
- Defeat Syuveil.

* The Little Mermaid (10)
- Defeat Damia.

* The Silent Hero (10)
- Defeat Belzac.

* You Won't Take Us with You (50)
- Defeat Kanzas.

* The Will of the Fallen (25)
- Defeat the Polter Armor.

* Ful, Losei Dovahkiin? (50)
- Defeat the Spirit of the Divine Dragon.

* Just Petals in the Wind (5)
- Defeat the Spirit of Feyrbrand.

* A Watery Grave at Last (10)
- Defeat the Spirit of Regole.

* The Final Countdown (10)
- Defeat the Super Virage in the Forbidden Land.

* A Deal with the Devil (50)
- Defeat Magician Faust.

* Marathon Man (100)
- Defeat the final boss with a play time of 15 hours or less.

Memory addresses not yet identified. This is only theoretical. I have, however, identified the address that holds the play time, so checking for that should be no problem.

Scratching this achievement from the record. It's bad, and I should feel bad for even suggesting it, lol

Note that this is not an exhaustive list, as this post is mainly here to declare my intent to work on this and provide a starting point. I do plan on seeing if achievements for the other Dragoon Spirits and bosses are possible and will also attempt to add those given time. And, of course, many of the particulars aren't set in stone, so feedback is appreciated and even expected.

Major challenges ahead:

* Finding memory addresses for the current location. For some reason, the address for this is not easy to pin down, but maybe there's an easy trick somewhere that I haven't tried. The larger problem here is all the objects that locations tend to have, such as birds flying or even subtle fog in the background. Each one, I assume, has an animation timer that updates each frame, including when transitioning to a new location. This makes comparing previous memory values somewhat hellish.

* Addresses in battles. For instance, as of now, I'm not sure what memory addresses store what I assume to be enemy IDs. Knowing this would be invaluable for creating the boss-related achievements. Another annoying problem is that memory addresses for storing enemy/player HP aren't always constant between battles, and I'm not even sure how this changes depending on how many party members you have at the time. We might have to do the tedious work of identifying patterns in memory if we want battle-related achievements.

That's all I have for the time being. Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: Struck out the speedrunning achievement from the planned set so that there's no doubt that it will not be in the final product.

Posted: 10 Jan, 2020 10:52
Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2020 10:53
I think you have the right ideas here, the set can't really be complicated anyway for this game unless you want to add weird restrictions (like no magic, or no transformation, or only basic additions but players will probably not like that).

Main story stuff
Side quest stuff (stardust + optional bosses+ kitchen minigame on the boat)
Additions + D level stuff
Maybe achievement for killing the ennemies that you can hit for only 1 damage and can run away, but you can still one shot them with a sachet so no real point

Highly doubt that a speedrun achievement is a good idea for this game but this can be discussed

Posted: 11 Jan, 2020 22:32
Aye, upon revisiting it, I'm beginning to feel rather iffy myself about adding a speedrun achievement. The iteration time (i.e., time between attempts) is abysmal, and so I think the design of one for a game of this length would be inhumane. Let's consider that one scrapped, shall we?

In other news, I've been toying with the idea of adding achievements for leveling up each Addition. As we all know, the game does not inform you outright if you've leveled up an Addition, forcing you to diligently go into the menu to check. Addition achievements for this could have the dual benefit of (1) being a QoL notification for players who have just mastered an Addition and want to switch to another one and (2) the standard endorphin rush that achievements are inherently valued for.

My one hangup on this, however, is that these achievements are inherently linked to grinding--and I'm personally against achievements that require players to grind to a specific level. It's just dumb and requires no skill.

So I'm curious on the community's thoughts on this. Do the benefits of having achievements that serve as a QoL notification outweigh the inherent negatives? What do you think?

Posted: 11 Jan, 2020 23:46
Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2020 10:24
My one hangup on this, however, is that these achievements are inherently linked to grinding--and I'm personally against achievements that require players to grind to a specific level. It's just dumb and requires no skill.

What I think is that grinding is not a good idea for achievements if there's no real reward for it. (like grinding to level 100 for no reason)

In this case, mastering all additions ( by doing them 80 or 81 times, there's no need to do it 100 times) rewards the player with a final addition that can only be obtained that way. Since additions are a big part of the gameplay in this game, I think it's pretty ok to have an achievement for performing the final addition for each character.

That said, there's not really a need to master the final addition by performing it 80/81 times, that in my opinion COULD be considered not-necessary grinding, though I've seen and done much worse on this website.

If grinding needs to be done a little bit, players can always optimise it a little bit, by doing it in an area where ennemies can be encountered really quickly (like
Spoiler (Click to show):
disc 4 desert
), equipping weak weapons and speed+ accessories

Posted: 12 Jan, 2020 02:57
Hmm, all right. So if I understand correctly, you'd think it would be okay if there were achievements for mastering all Additions except for each Ultimate Addition, since there's actually a purpose to mastering each one? And that we could have achievements for performing each Ultimate once? Because this reasoning I can certainly agree with.

Posted: 12 Jan, 2020 10:24
Sounds good to me

That's only my opinion though, it's possible some users would prefer to have an achievement for mastering everything (which again would be far from the worst grinds I've done here) but in the end it's the developper's choice, especially since you're playing and researching the game now so you're the one who knows what is best to do

Posted: 14 Jan, 2020 23:28
All right, I think I'll do that. There's no need to level Ultimate Additions up to 80 EXP beyond the stat boosts--and even less need to level them up to 99 for (to put it charitably) bragging rights. So I'll say only mastering each lesser Addition and performing a character's subsequent Ultimate Addition once will count as their own individual achievements.

In other news, though, achievement development for Disc 1 is coming along surprisingly well. I'm already at a count of 17, and it feels as though this count is increasing by the day as I feel my way around the memory. Work on Disc 2, I suspect, will begin very soon.

Posted: 18 Jan, 2020 21:49
Last Edit: 19 Jan, 2020 02:11
Your work is appreciated and I think the list looks great!

Posted: 25 Jan, 2020 05:13
Thank you so much for working on this!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account