Pass: 

Helping RetroArch to be totally compatible with RetroAchievements

Page: 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

meleu
Posted: 17 Oct, 2017 03:38
Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2018 23:18
Hello fellows,

Many of you use RetroArch to earn cheevos, right? Although its interface can be a bit confusing for beginners with all those options, RetroArch is an impressive piece of software, isn't it? While the official RA emulators run on Windows only, with RetroArch we can earn cheevos on Linux, Mac OS, Android, PS Vita, Wii U, Raspberry Pi and Windows (am I missing some platform?).

Those who tried to use RetroArch to get cheevos before November 2016 certainly experienced many problems with the RetroAchievements feature. But fortunately now the compatibility is very good. All thanks go straight to , he is the guy who implemented cheevos in RetroArch and keeps fixing the problems we find.

This post here has some instructions on how people can help to make RetroArch more and more compatible with RetroAchievements.

For "pure achievements" the compatibility is pretty good, but from time to time somebody report an issue (currently - october-2017 - we have only 2).

HOW TO REPORT A RETROARCH PROBLEM WITH RETROACHIEVEMENTS

You can report issues posting in this thread, or if you have a github account you can open an issue here: https://github.com/meleu/RetroArch-problematic-cheevos/issues/

1. Update your RetroArch and the related core. And check if the issue still happens.

2. You have to be sure that the problem happens with RetroArch and does NOT happen with official emulators. Sorry, but I need to highlight it YOU NEED TO BE SURE THAT THE PROBLEM DOES NOT HAPPEN IN OFFICIAL EMULATORS BEFORE REPORTING AN ISSUE. If you don't have a Windows machine, ask a friend who has to test the cheevo on the official emulator for you. I do it many times (thanks :) ).

3. Playing on RetroArch, generate a save state right before the condition needed to trigger the cheevo (you need to turn off hardcore mode in order to generate a save state).
3.1. Upload your savestate somewhere (if opening an issue at github, you can attach zip files).

4. Post your issue detailing
4.1. How do you know that the cheevo works fine with the official emulator.
4.2. What RetroArch version and what core are you using (please don't say "latest").
4.2. The steps to reproduce your issue on RetroArch.
4.3. Post links to the game and the cheevos you're facing problems.
4.4. Post link to your savestate (if on github, you can attach zip files).

Thanks in advance!

Grenade44
Posted: 19 Oct, 2017 20:29
Great work , hopefully people see this thread.

hansolo77
Posted: 19 Oct, 2017 21:27
Just saw this. Thanks for all you do!

meleu
Posted: 19 Oct, 2017 22:46
Last Edit: 19 Oct, 2017 23:21
As you can see, the steps to contribute aren't very trivial. I'm planning to add more ways to contribute on this front. Already discussed with and soon will post about it on discord. ;-)

LateNightRetro
Posted: 29 Oct, 2017 00:24
Last Edit: 29 Oct, 2017 23:08
I am stumped. The achievements load on retroarch, and they update on my profile on this site. But upon getting an achievement or the things required for one it simply doesn't update. loads the list and never updates I tried. FCEUMM core, and Nestopia my go to core. Any idea? Is there something blocking the connection after the initial load of the achievements? I tried super mario brothers because its the easiest for the achievement testing "collect mushroom" I am on the newest version of Retroarch windows 10 64 bit.

meleu
Posted: 29 Oct, 2017 23:12
Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2018 23:15
Nestopia is not compatible with achievements. I recommend fceumm. You can see the compatibility list in this page:
https://buildbot.libretro.com/.docs/guides/retroachievements/#cores-compatibility

Try Metroid. Start the game, go left and get the Morph Ball. See if it will trigger.

Aria
Posted: 30 Oct, 2017 11:27
Not sure if it fits here, but enableing hardcore mode should remove disabled features from quick menu.

Radius4
Posted: 10 Nov, 2017 02:15
@Aria, yeah you're right, you mean save state and load state right?

Aria
Posted: 12 Nov, 2017 19:44
@ Yes

siouxerskate
Posted: 08 Jan, 2018 21:17
Great! I do have some achievement issues to report that I have verified work on RA emulators and not on RetroArch with raspberry pi. However I didn't know about this process when doing these discoveries. I will for sure utilize this route with any new issue I find.

If I get motivated I may go back through and compile a list and states of achievements I have found not to work on RetroArch.

Thanks for the post!

revixter
Posted: 08 Jan, 2018 23:08
I use RetroArch almost solely for achievements, it's so comfortable and convenient to play on my nvidia shield. , you are doing a wonderful job making everything more accessible. Thank you very much for your efforts! Also, many MANY thanks to , I'm sure many aren't aware of your contributions but they are invaluable.

If you guys would ever like assistance with anything on the developer front let me know.

meleu
Posted: 08 Jan, 2018 23:31
Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2018 23:34
Another guy/girl/whatever who deserves to be mentioned in this scene is . He/she/whatever made the leaderboards feature finally work on RetroArch (and also created cool Leaderboards for some Atari 2600 games). Thanks Cel!

, name the games and the cheevos that you are having issues. At least to let us know what games/cheevos they are.

, are you comfortable with C language? Maybe you can choose a cheevos related issue on RetroArch repo and try to solve or share some thoughts. idk, just showing a possibility...

Or maybe taking a look at 's TODO list: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/4867

siouxerskate
Posted: 09 Jan, 2018 14:09

Here is a list of games a cheevos that I verified didn't work for me on RetroArch. All below have been tried on RetroArch a few times and verified working with RA emulators.

Super Mario World (SNES) - "Birth Of Economy" - due to this not working I didn't try the other dragon coin collecting cheevos in this game on RetroArch. Just assumed they may not work as well...

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES) - All "Kollector" cheevos didn't work.

Super Metroid (SNES) - There is a big list for this game. "Getting High", "Varia Nice", "Subsurface Penetrator", "Revenge", "Break The Seal", "Blizzard", "Raining Fire", and "Cyclone"

Chrono Trigger (SNES) - "Clono Trigger" and "Doll Collector"

Secret of Mana (SNES) - "Oasis"

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To the Past (SNES) - The early game "Bested" cheevos didn't work so I again assumed they all may not.

Ill try and help on the development side too. If I can familiarize my self with the tool sets that RetroArch has available I can help fix these issue and others in my free time.

LootusMaximus
Posted: 09 Jan, 2018 15:51
Birth of economy worked for me

siouxerskate
Posted: 09 Jan, 2018 17:09
As I stated I tried all of these multiple times(3+ and in some cases 5+) but I need to verify my RetroArch version as it is possible/most likely these issues were due to running older version. If I get motivated I might update and retry some of the cheevos to see if the issues are resolved.

I wouldn't put too much effort into checking these out but its nice to have them listed in case others run into the same issue.

Page: 1 2 3 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account