Posted: 18 Sep, 2017 15:27
Last Edit: 08 Apr, 2018 21:10
Official Topic on

1. e-Reader (USA).gba
Card E-Reader+ (U) [!].gba
e-reader (usa).bin
RA Checksum: 7b17e51d5a61780f9823203c6254ed8f
CRC32 Checksum: 8B27CD67

Here's the lowdown on e-Reader with RAVBA: it's unusual, but it's very possible to play and earn cheevs in. There are a few steps to take to get it set up.

1. From the window bar, navigate to Options > Emulator > Save Type and make sure "Automatic" and "Flash 128 KB" are the options selected.

Download this save file pack and extract it somewhere. These are e-Reader saves with games already scanned.

3. Load your e-Reader ROM and use File > Import > Battery File to select one of the saves you just downloaded.

After the title screen, the game should appear under "Access saved data" on the main menu.

To load a different card, use the same option then use File > Reset to reset the Game Boy.

DonCosmo
Posted: 18 Sep, 2017 18:14
This is a very cool idea!

kdecks
Posted: 18 Sep, 2017 19:47
I also think this is really cool. I'm excited to see what you come up with

Blazekickn
Posted: 18 Sep, 2017 20:26
This is why we love you cel. Nice job giving this failed peripheral some RA love.

GAMERJET
Posted: 19 Sep, 2017 04:01
This is very exciting news! I enjoyed many hours playing with the e-reader and I look forward to the achievements!

mariic
Posted: 20 Jan, 2018 00:06
How will this work on RetroPie?

Clutz450
Posted: 31 Jan, 2018 22:18
Last Edit: 31 Jan, 2018 22:18
Thank you for this guide. Would this also work in Retroarch? If so, what would be the steps to get it to work? Thank you.

Nowun
Posted: 02 Feb, 2018 02:31
I use a Retropie, I don't think it has that option but I will check it out soon and let everyone know. Pry tomorrow.

Celeryyy
Posted: 02 Feb, 2018 16:10
Last Edit: 02 Feb, 2018 16:11
It will work in RetroArch with the VBA-Next or VBA-M cores. You need to extract the save file for the game you want to play and place it wherever your saves go, named correctly.

For example, if my ROM is named "e-Reader (USA).gba" I need to move "Mario Party-e - 08 - Balloon Burst! (U) (e-Reader).sav" as "e-Reader (USA).srm" to my saves directory.

You can take advantage of this and copy your ROM multiple times to get it to load different saves without swapping them yourself. "Daisy's Rodeo.gba" and "Daisy's Rodeo.srm" for example. This is probably the most usable option for people on RetroPie.

---

I'm not sure which of these cores RetroPie includes, but I can see if there's a way to fix it to work in mGBA. The save is created wrong in that core so e-Reader doesn't work.

Whelkman
Posted: 02 Feb, 2018 20:53
To my limited knowledge, RetroPie supports VBA-Next but not VBA-M. It also supports mGBA.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Game-Boy-Advance

Celeryyy
Posted: 04 May, 2018 04:51
mGBA has had savetype overrides added for e-Reader that allow this set to work on that core.

SporyTike
Posted: 21 Nov, 2018 15:56
Last Edit: 21 Nov, 2018 17:03

SporyTike
Posted: 21 Nov, 2018 15:56
I plan to make a revision for this set. At the moment it has 80 points and I want to add achievements for the three "luck mini games" so every mini game has an own achievement and the set is 100 points worth. My revision plan:

- increase the points of each existing achievement by one (88 points)
- add achievement: Fast Feed Yoshi! - Feed Yoshi with three Shy Guys in one try (4 points)
- add achievement: Lakitu's Luck - Take 5 Coins (4 points)
- add achievement: Spinister Bowser - Take all Items (4 poins)

also I would like to change the "Warios Bluff" leaderboard. The total distance in this minigame is 2000ft and the current leaderboard submits how far you drove from the starting point instead of the score system in the game. The game checks how close you are to the cliff. So for example if your ingame score is 300ft the leaderboard submits 1700ft. So that's the reason why I want to change the current leaderboard.

Celeryyy
Posted: 22 Nov, 2018 02:50
I specifically avoided achievements for those games because they only involve luck or cheesing the emulator with pause features.

kdecks
Posted: 22 Nov, 2018 03:26
I didn't vote one way or another as I never played the game. So I do not know whether this applies or not:

Unwelcome Concept:
> Achievements that rely entirely on randomness, especially when there are extremely low odds. However, for games where the randomness is a major aspect, it may be appropriate.
http://docs.retroachievements.org/Developers-Code-of-Conduct/#unwelcome-concepts

As for cheesing via pause. Perhaps there could be restriction on using pause for these.
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account