Last Edit: 15 May, 2018 17:17
Official Topic Post for discussion about

1. Ikari Warriors II - Victory Road (USA).nes
Ikari Warriors II - Victory Road (U) [!].nes
Ikari Warriors II- Victory Road (1988-04)(SNK)(US).nes
RA Checksum: 94edaed6f4a80e27dea80f34d16baf7f
ROM Checksum: c02cbb2f78e4acfd4844d7973262de2f
CRC32 Checksum: 1EAF333C

Plus 4 unique ROM Checksum variations with the same RA Checksum (8 total)
Ikari Warriors II - Victory Road (U) {[o1], [o2], [o3], [o4]}
Ikari Warriors II- Victory Road (1988-04)(SNK)(US){[h Vimm][iNES title], [h2][o][iNES title], [h][o][iNES title], [o]}

Resources:
Longplay:

Game manual: ( http://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Ikari-Warriors-II-Victory-Road-Game-Manual.pdf)
Gamefaqs: ( https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587348-ikari-warriors-ii-victory-road/faqs/21865)
Continue code (US version only): A, B, B, A (before Game Over screen appears)

Updated resources by

Som1
Posted: 25 Sep, 2017 11:57
Last Edit: 12 Jul, 2018 18:04
Ikari Warriors II was a lot of fun to make achievements for, as it feels like a victory lap for the first game - and is much easier, though not without its challenges worthy of being a successor. But without further ado, here's what is expected of you and how the achievements work:

Well, you progress in the game and pick up the respective keys at the end of the Area (1-4) or get to the ending screen. It's a rather simple concept.
These check for the game's progress value and if the value for the key changes, which is at the end of Area 1-4. For Area 5, it checks the value of the end screen and the game's progress value.

I reduced these to just two achievements, as there is so much other stuff that needed achievements. Plus: there are no extra lives - YOLO.
As with the score based achievements in Ikari Warriors, these work as a "Finish game without using secret continues" kind of achievements. Score resets if you use the secret continue code, as usual.

Enemies drop heart marks, collect them to buy stuff at the barshops. I made the first one trigger just before the first shop, so you know what to do even if you don't read this post or the manual.

Collect upgrades in one playthrough for these to trigger.
They check if the upgrade value increases, so keep that in mind before sending tickets.

These can be done across playthroughs, as it would be a bit annoying to get in one go, even if you use the time power up (which warps you back to the last shop you encountered) to its full potential - since enemies respawn.
These check if the value for the respective item increases and will not be reset when you start a new game.

This is a secret achievement. But it helps if you played the first game and remember.

Epinda, Clinjon and Branjosp are (from left to right) the bounty hunters in the barshop. You can fight them to earn more heart marks. Epinda gives 3, Clinjon 5 and Branjosp 10. They're also increasingly harder. Challenge one of them first, since you can still buy stuff afterwards. If you buy stuff, you have to leave the barshop.
These check if the energy value for the bounty hunters decreases, so any item that removes more than 1 health should not be used - mainly the 1 hit arrow.

"Simply" kill the Area bosses without getting harmed.
As with the bounty hunters, it checks for the energy value of the respective boss to decrease with each hit. So if you use items that remove more than 1 health, these will not trigger.
I did not add an achievement for the final boss, since it is practically impossible to not get harmed.

Now this is an achievement in the spirit of the first part. If you enter the first Dark Mirror (you can avoid it, if you remember what you can do in the first game) you get to shoot at some clay pigeons. Please keep in mind that the target must be in the near of the clay pigeon trajectory for it to be a hit - simply having the target at the top won't hit anything. If you can hit all 10, you get this achievement.
It checks if you're in the first Dark Mirror or not and if the hit count increases. So you need to have a perfect run here, good luck - you'll need it.

These work just as the Area bosses, as most are simply Dark Mirror versions of them.

Originally planned were three other achievements:

"Moonless sky" - Finishing the game without entering a Dark Mirror.
Reason for not including: Felt redundant and there were more worthwhile achievements to create.

"NORM!" - Pay admission to every barshop in one playthrough.
Reason for not including: See "Moonless sky"

"Tachyon Warrior" - Finish the game in under 10 minutes.
Reason for not including: Ingame counter does not reset and there is currently no way to use ResetIf or PauseIf with hitcounters, so this would be problematic to do and be too confusing to be a worthwhile addition (at the moment). I left some room in the set for an inclusion in the future, so this is not off the table like the other two.

Have fun and leave feedback if you want, it is always welcome :)

EDIT 12-Jul-2018:
Demoted because it's impossible or nearly impossible to achieve.

Som1
Posted: 28 Sep, 2017 11:09
Made minor modifications to the score, heart marks and items achievements, so they will also trigger in 2 player mode. Also made modifications to the upgrade achievements, so they will trigger if either player has the maximum uprgade collected for the respective weapon. Did some better description to the item achievements as well, so it's easier to see that they can be collected across playthroughs.
Didn't need to modify the "Bested" achievements, since I already coded them with 2 players in mind. Don't know why I didn't change the rest before releasing the set, though.

Som1
Posted: 06 Oct, 2017 14:27
Added Rich Presence, since we can do that again.

It features P1's current points, selected weapons (see below) and indications how much the weapons have been upgraded (see below), with 0 being not available. I couldn't do that for P2 in addition, since RPS is a bit limited.
MG=Machine Gun
BZ=Bazooka
BR=Boomerang
SW=Sword
GR=Grenades
MN=Mines

I also forgot to explain the item powerups you can collect, so here they are:

Kills all enemies on screen

Paralyzes all enemies on screen

Gives you wings to fly over non-walkable areas

Gives you a force field for limited time, which can harm enemies on touch

Kills a single enemy with 1 hit

Transports you back the last shop(s) you visited. Enemies and bosses respawn, so use wisely.

Refills the health bar

Artwork
Posted: 05 Jul, 2018 17:23
Last Edit: 05 Jul, 2018 17:26
I have tried the Ikawo achievement, and it's virtually impossible, even with save state abuse, you will screw up for sure!

Som1
Posted: 12 Jul, 2018 18:00
After testing the achievement the last couple of days, I have demoted it due to that issue. Thanks for bringing it up and sorry for the inconvenience (to put it mildly). I might have been either too green or dumb (or both!) when creating that achievement and not testing it properly in the first place.

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account