Assemble the Chronoscepter
Complete the training course
Complete the training course without dying

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is on Steam.
Looks like similar: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/405820/achievements

MGNS8M
Posted: 25 Jun, 2017 20:48
Last Edit: 30 Jun, 2017 17:58
Well, I was about to give up on this game because of difficulty with save-files loading things, but I believe I've found a solution as well as a few interesting achievements to add.

I'm going to have a variety of achievements based on difficulty in ways that make each difficulty gradually more meaningful. Play on Hard to begin with, you get everything... play each difficulty separately and you hopefully still have enough achievements left over to give some incentive to play through it again. Probably not incredibly well-balanced between each difficulty, but hopefully better than requiring just a straight-thru walk-about only one time, unless you do manage to win on Hard the first time.

Otherwise I have some extra ideas going on, as well as imitating the Bow/Knife-only challenge as shown on GameFAQs.

Also, if you want to make your dual-analog-style PC-controller(or adapter for a console dual-analog controllerl like my GCN-to-PC adapter) actually work like a dual-analog(although obviously strafing will be digital), make a new control-scheme and set it up kinda like this:

Left-Analog = C-Buttons
Right-Analog = Control Stick
Left-Trigger = Z-button
Top-face-button = B-button
Right-face-button = A-button
Left-face-button = L-button
Bottom-face-button = R-button
D-Pad/Hat = D-Pad

Just keep in mind that your Left-Analog will be digital because of the C-buttons being digital, and since there's no two-controller mode like in Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, your strafe will always be digital. That's why the game uses D-Pad to toggle between walk and run, you can't vary your speed otherwise.

Doing it this way will allow you to strafe with left-stick, analog-aim with the right stick, shoot with the left-trigger, and jump without having to use your index-finger like you would have on the N64. Toggling MAP with the L-Button as a face-button also makes it way more accessible than it was on the N64, needing to move your hand from the center-grip to press "L"(unless you were some kind of monster and held it with the left-grip). A and B are just used to scroll back and forth between weapons, so having them up and right doesn't put them too far out of the way. But if your controller has L1/LB and R1/RB buttons, those might be good for B-and-A weapon-scrolling too.

=============================================================================

Alright, I have some achievements pretty well ready to go. I'm just trying to test for possible failure-conditions, otherwise as far as I can tell it's all functional.

I will say that I had to put a LOT of fail-safe protection against various possibilities... mostly save-file loading and blocking cheats.

I think the main issue will be... if the player pauses the game, then moves their cursor over "Load Game", it will cause any Boss-based achievement to reset, and if they have already taken damage, you will fail the achievement. Because of the way those boss-battles are detected, it's very difficult to make it work without that kind of protection, but there's USUALLY no reason to hover over "Load Game" unless you're really looking to end your fight with the boss anyway.

At worst, I think it may be necessary to do at least two playthroughs, as long as you start on Hard Mode. But if you need to start with easier difficulties, there's still a few things for you to get.

MGNS8M
Posted: 11 Jul, 2017 23:58
Alright... I've been putting these off for a while because I'm not fully certain about my blocking methods, but for everything I'VE tried, they still work? So... I feel like it's come to the point where I need a live test to show me they don't. If they don't. Hopefully they do!

Achievements to watch out for: there are two T-Rex battles and two Campaigner(last boss) battles that both rely on the enemy's HP being max, then checking to see if his health and his alive-or-dead flag are zero. I NEED to do this because outside of that battle his HP is zero and he is technically "dead", so if I didn't do it, the achievement would pop the moment you entered the room.

One of the methods I have to block a save-file from loading achievements is to simply reset the achievement if your cursor is over the "Load Game" menu-option. If the current boss is at full health and the achievement resets because you hovered over that Load Game option but didn't load game, it should fill back up....but if they're no longer at full health and you do that, you lose.

So.... unless you NEED to Load Game for those four achievements(and possibly the last one too), don't touch "Load Game". If you must get to the options ahead of Load Game, go "up" to reach them.

But those 4/5 are the only ones(I think) that actually HOLD data that can be reset. The rest do not "hold" data, so resetting them just means temporarily pausing them more than anything. It's just to stop cheat-codes and prevent save-data from popping achievements. Hopefully.

There are lots of individual gun-achievements. If you want, you can use it as a sort of "checklist" by removing those achievements for the time when you try the "Hunter" challenges. That way if you get a gun by accident, you'll get alerted to it with an achievement to remind you to restart from your last save without saving over that. Don't worry, before the Campaigner, which is AFTER the last hunter-challenge ends, you're more or less given EVERY gun in the game, so you'll get them all back as well as the last chronoscepter piece so you can make that gun as well if you had all the rest.

For Difficulties, each tier has its own amount of things to do, almost all of which can be earned on Hard Difficulty.

Easy includes collecting every weapon, and beating the last boss. Normal includes all of that, plus getting every key IN a level. Then Hard includes every SET of keys(so all 3 for Level 1, all 3 for Level 2, etc) regardless of what level they're in, every piece of the Chronoscepter, as well as beating the last Boss on hard.

And the "Hunter" achievements are intended to be done on "Easy", but I don't specifically have them gated to Easy Mode. But you'll WANT to do them on Easy.

The Hunter Achievements are based on this FAQ:
https://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/199130-turok-dinosaur-hunter/faqs/47833

You may and SHOULD use Tek Arrows along with the regular arrows and knife. Yes, it's difficult, but on Easy Mode, it's a lot more possible for sure. The achievements reset if you have any other weapon added to your inventory, regardless of whether you have ammo for it or not. To be honest, I think getting through the stages without any new weapons is harder than beating the bosses with Tek arrows, because at least they respawn(although in some boss stages they're a real pain to wait for).

Just let me know if there's an impossible-to-avoid weapon in a level... I'm PRETTY sure they can all be avoided, but seeing that hallway in Campaigner's room being filled with unavoidable guns makes me a little nervous.

And there are some extras thrown in after that. 100 life-force, 250 health in hard mode, getting 4 mortal wounds in level 1, killing the first raptor in one hit, getting 3:30 in the Training Grounds. Stuff like that.

Anyway, I'm gonna look over things for a little bit, but otherwise I think it's ready. Hopefully.

MGNS8M
Posted: 14 Sep, 2017 16:58
Last Edit: 14 Sep, 2017 16:59
Updated all achievements today ; I was completely unaware that the game auto-unlocks an infinite-lives code if you get 10 lives... I guess I never survived long enough to get 10 lives, so I never knew it existed.

So in the previous versions, getting 10 lives automatically prevented any achievements from working after that, especially if you saved, and there was no way to get rid of it. So now it should work even if you get 10 lives and unlock that ONE cheat code.

Hopefully there are no more auto-unlocking cheat-codes like that, because I'm probably getting close to the line-code-limit with the way some achievements require so many resets.

Anyway, due to this change, it is now possible to USE unlimited-lives as well. I'm not sure if this affects the achievement for gaining a life by getting 100 of the Life Force pieces, so I would recommend not using it until you earn 10 lives and earn the code yourself.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the achievements require you to not-die, and all this "cheat" does is prevent a game-over. It doesn't give you ammo back if you wasted it, it doesn't cause you to auto-win anything, it just takes out some of the tedium. It's up to you to decide if you use it or not.

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account