Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 30 Apr, 2017 03:09 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Donkey+Kong+64+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Donkey+Kong+64+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Donkey+Kong+64+

timrtabor123
Posted: 30 Apr, 2017 04:35
I will be disappointed if the 100%(err...105%) achievement isn't entitled "you'll be here forever".

Protoblubb
Posted: 30 Apr, 2017 08:37
Last Edit: 30 Apr, 2017 08:47
I demand an achievement for collecting all 977 known coins. Or at least the 949 of them that are easily available.
http://www.ign.com/faqs/2008/donkey-kong-64-100-complete-banana-coin-faq-877690

Also, the max percentage is 101, unless you use glitches.
http://dk64.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Percentage

MGNS8M
Posted: 30 Apr, 2017 13:19
Last Edit: 30 Apr, 2017 13:20
Banana coins respawn, so I'm not sure if that would be possible to track between sessions. The most you could do is use a mem-delta and actually require the player to get ALL of them in a single-run(with no savestates), which could potentially be cheesed if there isn't a proper ResetIf. Coins are rarely in difficult to reach areas anyway, it would basically just be a "go look at a FAQ" achievement that would take several hours to do. And hardly any point value would be worth doing all of that when there are so many other things in the game to keep track of. I think at worst, maybe care about banana coins for one achievement for reaching a generic-amount. ....but really, I think the things you buy with them would be more interesting than just-getting-them.

Rather than keep track of the actual percentage, which would probably be redundant(as in, you would be getting an achievement for "getting all achievements"), it'd probably be best to keep track of the individual parts that make up each Kong's collectibles. For how many levels there are, it would probably be best to keep track of each Kong's all-game collectibles rather than per-level, and only care about per-Level-collectibles for the stuff that isn't tied to specific Kongs(like banana fairies and battle crowns). Also ignore Banana-Medallions since they are awarded at 75 bananas when you could just look at them having 100 bananas per level for all-game(per Kong or all Kongs). Most of the story-progress could be tied to boss-battles, no-damage bosses might need to be tied to boss-rush(and hopefully per-boss and not just ALL-boss), and maybe have one achievement for the first and last upgrades like Health and ammo...otherwise having every single upgrade per-Kong would be a huge amount for no real reason.

The more I think of it, there will have to be a lot of careful balance in achievements for this game because of the potential for it to either be a huuuuuuge list of achievements for no reason, or possibly so compacted that you wouldn't get a single achievement for hours depending on how it's handled.

timrtabor123
Posted: 30 Apr, 2017 19:51
Last Edit: 30 Apr, 2017 19:56
@ I was thinking of one of the DKC games probably.

Protoblubb
Posted: 19 May, 2017 06:56
Last Edit: 20 May, 2017 19:59
Well, I'll be willing to make an achievements set, so here is the idea.

[Edit: Also progress chart. When everything is done locally, it can be uploaded and promoted.]

Story:
- Free Diddy Kong [done locally]
- Defeat the first boss
- Free Tiny Kong [done locally]
- Free Lanky Kong [done locally]
- Beat the second boss
- Free Chunky Kong [done locally]
- Beat the third boss
- Beat the fouth boss
- Beat the fifth boss
- Beat the sixth boss
- Obtain the Nintendo and Rareware coins
- Beat the seventh boss
- Beat King K. Rool

Completionist:
- Beat the hidden boss (Spider Queen)
- Obtain the first special move [done locally]
- Obtain all special moves
- Obtain the first musical instrument
- Obtain all upgrades for the instruments
- Obtain all gun upgrades (no first gun achievement because that would be too close to freeing Diddy Kong anyway)
- Obtain the golden camera
- Shoot all 20 golden banana fairys
- Get all golden bananas on DK Isle
- Get all golden bananas in the first level
- Get all small bananas in the first level
- and so on for all seven levels
- Get all golden crowns

Challenge:
- Beat boss X without getting hit (1 for each boss, can be done in boss rush mode but should also work in story mode).
- Beat boss rush?

Fun:
- Warp to Snides Test Map (instead of a "collect all blueprints" achievement)

Leaderboard ideas:
- Boss rush time?
- Speedrun leaderboard (to be activated with button presses at the first map, or with a specific game file)

Did I forget something?

NOTE TO SELF ON COLLECTIBLE TRIGGER NOTES
1 = Small bananas (any size of stack, balloon etc.)
? = untested
C = Coins
G = Golden Banana

MGNS8M
Posted: 19 May, 2017 13:24
I think you have most of everything covered, it would otherwise come down to spread/balance between how much and how often achievements come and go, but definitely all the parts that make up 102% without actually caring about looking for exact percentage-completion(mostly I say that because they're sometimes unstable or tied to specific files, or save-games will load them). The only other thing I'd mention would be obvious things like making sure cheats are off, tying the achievement to at least one-item/upgrade-prior for at least 10-hit-counts and then require the last-item/upgrade in that chain at zero-hit-counts, that way it's impossible for them to simply load up a completed save-file and win every achievement.

If possible... maybe an optional leaderboard for overall time would be nice. I know someone who likes to occasionally speedrun DK64, so it'd be nice if there was a "hidden leaderboard" that activates with button-presses while being in a specific room so it will never activate by accident... that way the player can call up the game-time and have it displayed on-screen at all times, and it would only appear if the player wanted it, it would cancel on Game Over, or submit when they defeat the final boss.

Protoblubb
Posted: 19 May, 2017 16:13
Last Edit: 19 May, 2017 16:16
Ah, you have very good anti-savegame suggestions here! Very nice, this will help me a lot!

Maybe making that speedrun leaderboard tied to game file 3 or something like that? Otherwise if I find the button presses, I could take something like pressing C-Up five times in the intro.

Protoblubb
Posted: 20 May, 2017 11:33
Last Edit: 20 May, 2017 19:44
Thanks to some addresses I found, this should be finished next week.

Because of coding difficulties, I might need to make an extra achievement for each Kong for each 100 small bananas per level, though.

Protoblubb
Posted: 23 May, 2017 20:28
Last Edit: 23 May, 2017 20:46
Project is on hold for now for personal reasons but will be finished next month (albeit without the 100 bananas per Kong - I can only reasonably check for banana medals and they count towards 102 percent, while the other 25 bananas don't do).

Please post good images for badges!

ABG
Posted: 16 Sep, 2017 00:30
Rip the achieves ?

MGNS8M
Posted: 16 Sep, 2017 01:35
is working on them now last I heard, but he's been pretty busy lately.

ABG
Posted: 16 Sep, 2017 16:02
OK then

ABG
Posted: 04 Oct, 2017 02:52
Still waiting, i hope it will be ready soon !

MoonLegend
Posted: 07 Dec, 2017 01:29
I'm considering doing a set for this sometime if no one else is.
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account