login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

Threat warning

AuthorMessage

LMTR14
Posted: 20 Apr, 2017 19:15
Last Edit: 20 Apr, 2017 19:17
the link to the download page creates a threat warning from bitdefender. the exe file was deleted by bitdefender upon doing nothing (visible). the exe didn't have any icon on it like application files usually do. now I can't even unzip the zip cause winrar says I have no access. something just tried to set my start page in internet explorer to about.blank. redownloading didn't do anything. the download is just the exe and a folder, no .dll or anything in the main folder, btw...

somehow I'm not trusting that link anymore...

Scott
Posted: 22 Apr, 2017 09:18
Hey LMTR, what link are you using?

vath
Posted: 23 Apr, 2017 17:22
Last Edit: 23 Apr, 2017 20:32
I just got the same thing tring to visit this url : http://retroachievements.org/bin/RAGens.zip

I went ahead and downloaded the .zip anyway, and Bitdefender found this inside : Gen:Variant.Barys.56343

It "corrected" the problem by deleting ragens.exe. A bit excessive, perhaps

http://imgur.com/a/Glzue

KEM64
Posted: 01 May, 2017 19:15
Last Edit: 01 May, 2017 19:16
Norton Anti-Virus is also detecting ragens.exe as a "Trojan.Gen.8!cloud" and removing it as soon as I download the latest version of it and extract the files.

In fact, a scan of ragens.exe on Virustotal's site has 15 out of 60 Antivirus Programs detecting it as bad, with notable ones being Ad-Aware (who has it listed as a "Gen:Variant.Barys.56343"), BitDefender (listed as the same as Ad-Aware), McAfee (has it listed as "Artemis!3DA6613FA880"), and Symantec (who runs Norton, the antivirus that has ragens.exe listed as "Trojan.Gen.8!cloud").

In comparison, the exes of Retro Achievements's GB, GBC and GBA Emulator, NES Emulator, and SNES emulator don't have that many detections, if any (RAVisualBoyAdvance has a detection ratio of 0/61, RANES has a detection ratio of 2/56 with the detections coming from Avira and Rising which I never heard of and are probably false positives, and RASnes9x has a detection ratio of 0/60).

So, is RAGens safe to use or not? I restored RAgens.exe from Quarantine and nothing bad seems to be happening which is only confirming that Norton once again detected something as a false positive.

soulrider25
Posted: 01 May, 2017 21:03
I had a similar problem w/ bitdefender but on this site with the inbox.php. I'm not using bitdefender anymore so I don't know if that issue still persists.

ShadwSonic
Posted: 19 May, 2017 20:09
So I'm not the only one who noticed... I was trying to redownload it to get the most up to date version, and Norton did that for me too. Just ignored it though, since it never gave problems before.

DonCosmo
Posted: 20 May, 2017 02:34
False positive.

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account