login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Super Mario 64

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
AuthorMessage

timsdeece
Posted: 08 Mar, 2019 17:42
same here zephyr, it was my last cheevo to get to master the set before the new cheevos were added.

DrDro
Posted: 08 Mar, 2019 17:59
There were only two that were frustrating for me and one of those I chose to make tougher and insist on doing it a tougher way lol. There are some really cool ones added though. I found doing the coins in tik tok fun, for some reason lol. And also the no a button in lava world. Plan on finishing the rest later today

IrishNerdLife
Posted: 08 Mar, 2019 18:02
That final browser achievement was the last one I was missing too. I could fairly consistently get to the last throw, but tended to walk into Browser while trying to make sure he didn't spew fire. I've no doubt I could do it with time, but just got bored repeating the level.

Mind you I could also probably do it a lot quicker with an N64 controller instead of a Nvidia Shield controller.

zephyr97
Posted: 08 Mar, 2019 18:09
Last Edit: 08 Mar, 2019 18:10
I believe that was my main issue too, using the 8bitdo snes pro controller just isn't the same. I have the N64 one somewhere but never got around to finding where I put it. I think the hardest one that almost made me quit was the coins in the rainbow cruise level How many times I'd miss the last 2 or 3 I needed by jumping incorrectly or sliding off the platform

IrishNerdLife
Posted: 08 Mar, 2019 18:17
I have an 8Bitdo Pro controller too, but it definitely felt wrong for N64 games! I've considered getting a MayFlash(?) Adapter to use my original controllers, but always end of thinking if I'm going that far I can just use my original system and not worry about achievements.

Though you could consider it odd to have loads of games just sitting on the shelf while playing them emulated instead.

sseb22
Posted: 11 Mar, 2019 13:12
I used a DualShock 4 and I think any modern controller like this one or the Xbox ones or the Switch's pro controller can do a nice job

IrishNerdLife
Posted: 11 Mar, 2019 13:22
I've tried a Dual Shock controller too, but wasn't any better than a Shield controller. The N64 analogue stick just feels different compared to other controllers that I've never been able to adapt to them.

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 21:13
A few days later and I have now mastered this set. My opinion on this revision has changed drastically. At first I wrote it off as too difficult for a main set, but actually going through everything made me change my mind. Yes, some of them are still really difficult, but there's still nothing too crazy like in Sonic 2 for example. As someone that had Mario 64 as his first game, I'm really surprised on how much new stuff this revision has taught me about SM64 that I've never known before. I have raged a bit during this, but I still had fun. Great job on this revision. Pleasantly surprised.

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 21:14
Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2019 21:20
On a side note, didn't know revisons changed your badges place when you master them again, it looks kinda weird not having Mario 64 at the top now and Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie not right next to each other oof

Zyndeyqualarrin
Posted: 13 Mar, 2019 21:14
Last Edit: 13 Mar, 2019 21:20
(accidental)

DrPixel
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 04:33
Just mastered it for the first time and I pretty much feel the same way. I think in general it was one of the most satisfying sets I've completed and overall pretty fun, but there was definitely some moments of extreme frustration along the way. In general I think the revision was very nicely done, it's pretty balanced for people new to the game (like me) while also providing a lot of interesting challenges. However, that's not to say that it's all good.

I'll start with the positive, these ones I absolutely loved:

(easily my favorite, this was a pretty fun and creative challenge)

These all were cool ways to get stars that you probably wouldn't normally think of, and most importantly, they were not too challenging while still being interesting. On the other hand, these were kind of a nightmare:

(requires some kind of absurd jumps or using a glitch)
(just super frustrating for me in general since I'm bad at swimming fast, maybe others had an easier time but it took me dozens of attempts)
(I didn't have the worst time with this, but it's easily one of the worst offenders for most frustrating achievement; it requires either a very precise sliding jump into a wall kick or a triple jump + dive into a very specific angle, which I actually had less trouble with. On top of that, it's the only missable achievement, just kind of irritating considering the rest of the set isn't)
(cool concept, but just super infuriating in practice; I don't know if there's a better way to do it, but doing it the way Spory did in his video seemed really hard to pull off, especially the wall kick on the edge of the red coin structure to climb up it)
(having to do the two initial B jumps was super hard for me, maybe it's easier for others, but again, Spory made it look easy in his video and it took me maybe 25-50 attempts :/)
(just a really annoying achievement in general, so many easy ways to fall off the stage, this might've been the worst one for me; easily dozens of attempts with no good consistent way of doing it that I found)

As a whole, I think the set is much better than it used to be, but I guess my main concern is that it's probably too high of a difficulty bar to have for what should be a set that's easily accessible to most people, since it's obviously a super popular game.

Also, the warp achievements and red coin achievements (not counting Lethal Lava Land and Tick Tock Clock) should probably have their points lowered in favor of harder stuff, they're just kinda free points.

Anyway, not trying to be too negative, overall it was a fun set, just thought I'd leave my thoughts. Great work on the revision! 😃

DrDro
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 04:47
^ aw I liked the tick tock clock one personally lol

SporyTike
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 10:13
I rebalanced the points a bit. Now harder achievements have more points so the players get a better reward for doing achievements like . Also I want to say a few words to your list, DrPixel.

First thanks for playing and it's nice to hear you had fun and like the revision.

To the 3 last achievements I want to say some words so maybe it helps some other players:
- In Rainbow Ride it's easier than it looks to get on top of the building. If Mario is near enough at the ledge and jumps with his head against the ceiling the building pushs him to the side so he can easy grab the ceiling. You can see it a bit in the video I posted.
- The Molten Area Red Coins can be tricky, that's true. But the key to success is movement. It's important to press B directly after Mario doing a divejump and touchs the ground. If you don't do it, Mario loses to much speed and he can't jump over the first gab and on top of the small stairs.
- For the Red Coins in Tick Tock Clock: I don't know if you really tried to collect them by jumping on the rotating blocks. But it's much easier to go on top of the structure by walking around and just jump down from the top to collect the coins and the star. It takes longer but it's much easier.

timsdeece
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 15:50
Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2019 15:50
Hey I also wanted to say that I am less salty and overall found doing these challenges fun and rewarding. It was very helpful to have videos to show some methods. Thanks for taking the time to make the set (y) I still have three cheevos to go! I'm finding the 75 coins in the snowman level to be very annoying, even with the tips. I haven't even attempted the submarine red coins yet

DrPixel
Posted: 14 Mar, 2019 20:13
Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2019 20:14
Cool, thanks for balancing the points! And that's interesting, I didn't really know about those tips, hopefully they help people trying to do those achievements. I tried 3 different methods for Tick Tock Clock and had the most success doing a mix of side flip + wall kick + ground pound to reach the 2 coins on the left (+ the star) and the bottom two, then long jumping off the 2nd of the 3 big rotating blocks to get the others. Maybe I'm just really bad, but falling from the top was tricky for me, I had a lot of trouble moving to the side coins.

About the Snowman's Land coins, I did it pretty easily by moving really slowly and taking my time, especially around the snowmen and frog(?) dudes that hop around. I didn't bother adjusting the camera much at all.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account