login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

Phantasy Star

Page: < 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

nullgolem
Posted: 21 Dec, 2017 00:45
Salsa, thanks for your work on this. Take your time. I was looking forward to this one when I saw you were making it. I'd always been curious to play this game.

Thoreau
Posted: 12 Jan, 2018 09:30
Excited to play this again, I still have my legit hand-drawn maps here.

I heard there is a better translated version than the original one. Will it be possible to play with it?

Salsa
Posted: 12 Jan, 2018 19:49
Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2018 19:55
@nullgolem That's really appreciated. Thank you. I will do my best.

@Thoreau Yeah, I am working with this retranslation: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/ Except the more accurate translation it provides the option to choose soundtrack between standard PSG and OPLL version, which were availible only on japanese Sega Mark III.

Here is the sample:

Nowun
Posted: 12 Jan, 2018 23:18
Will this still work with the standard ROM as well? Most players are not familiar with ips patching it seems.

Salsa
Posted: 13 Jan, 2018 17:23
Last Edit: 25 Jan, 2018 00:38
I'm not 100% sure, I'm using addresses related to the dialogues, so it could bring issues, that doesn't mean it's cut-and-dried. I will certainly test both, and try to make it compatible.

Salsa
Posted: 05 Feb, 2018 20:51
Added important information to the first post.

Whelkman
Posted: 05 Feb, 2018 22:30
Very clever with the Unicode "people" icons that show in the "Active Players" box on the home page.

Salsa
Posted: 05 Feb, 2018 23:21
Yeah... Still I will need to switch it to standard text, becasue of the compatibility...

Whelkman
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 02:33
Last Edit: 06 Feb, 2018 03:53
Using the SMS Power! patch with Genesis Plus GX in RetroArch, audio switching doesn't work correctly for me with the default settings. Pressing Pause alternates between PSG audio and silence. To get FM working, I needed to go into the core's option menu (Main Menu -> Quick Menu -> Options) and change "Master System FM (YM2413)" from "auto" to "ON". Phantasy Star will still launch in PSG mode, but now pressing Pause will work as intended and switch to FM.

nullgolem
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 07:47
Good set! Good mix, of easy medium, and very challenging cheeves. I'm going to try and get all the dungeon explorer ones, Thanks for explaining how that works!

chashodges
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 15:40
That's standard practice for most SMS emulators. The sound chips were different across models and the default for emulation is usually without the FM chip.

Whelkman
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 17:20
Last Edit: 06 Feb, 2018 17:24
Other FM-compatible games work out-of-the-box, including the original, un-patched Japanese release of Phantasy Star. I believe the issue to be the audio switching function, which does not exist in the original and was introduced in the romhack. Either it's the function, period, or the fact that the romhack defaults to PSG mode.

Edit: it's probably better to say "falls back to PSG mode" rather than "defaults".

alecTwhite
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 20:42
Last Edit: 06 Feb, 2018 20:43
For won't trigger. I walked over every tile in the dungeon twice. There is one more chest but it's in a pit that you have to use the soothe flute to escape from.

Triggered at lvl 22 but I did have all the equipment.

Didn't trigger at first and I figured out it was because my inventory was full when I picked it up. Making space then picking it up fixed it, this hasn't happened for any other inventory cheeves.

Only triggers with the guards from Palma spaceport.

Salsa
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 21:50
I will check the Laconian Shield Cave challenge again... but this chest is not counted for here, but it's counted for "Interplanetar Treasure Hunter".
All other achievements should be fixed now.

Salsa
Posted: 06 Feb, 2018 22:57
It appears the achievement was bugged because of this Dezorian guy at the beginning of the dungeon. I've eliminated the bug.
Page: < 1 2 3 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account