login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 

Alternate Overlay Themes

AuthorMessage

MGNS8M
Posted: 21 Dec, 2016 21:17
Last Edit: 31 May, 2017 00:42
This is something I've wanted to try doing for a while, but wasn't sure how it would affect things, but I finally got myself to record some sound-effects and create a new background image to make an alternate overlay theme.

Honestly I have no idea if this can cause problems, but I absolutely recommend backing up your original "Overlay" folder before attempting this so you can easily put it back to the way it was.

Not sure if this could become a thread for posting new ones, but if it stays active, I may decided to update this post with links to new overlay-packs.

Current List:

sta.sh/0bxk5anh11b - made by
sta.sh/01onlophi0m3 - made by
sta.sh/0qvodeosbmo - made by
sta.sh/015js8gbtefg - made by

a.pomfe.co/ygtszum.rar - made by <---- Until the current bugs on the site get fixed, you'll need to enter this URL MANUALLY.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9g07th2xelpj5pr/Mega%20Man%20Classic.7z - made by
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/2zr798eyp4f0cm2/Nintendo%20Mix%20%28Slumber%20Party%29.7z - made by
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/strl7qqju47y2x0/Roll-chan%20Evolution.7z - made by
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uhut37baf7a0458/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20Classic.7z - made by
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q81ikpg1i5so4bs/Ys%20Book%20I%20%26%20II.7z - made by

www.mediafire.com/download/1c49wgdgosqc8r6 - made by

drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B4ZX5gMP0H5dVG5mWGZZWHRydTQ - made by

Current Suggestions for Editing:

I do not include "message.wav" with my pack because I've never heard it used, so I'm making the pack smaller by not including it. I suggest not deleting it before adding my pack... as long as you have already backed-up the original Overlay, using 'replace file' will suffice. Also it's suggested that if you make a pack to not include message.wav either.

All "wav" files are originally 22050MHz, mono, 32-bit float. You should probably keep it that way, also double-check the project-quality is also 22050, but it's apparently not a major requirement.

Keep in mind that occasionally people may get several achievements in a row, so lengthy or loud/obnoxious sounds might repeat a lot.

The background image should be subdued enough that they're not too busy to have achievements or text overlayed on them. I say that, but ONE of mine is actually hard to read text with if it doesn't have an achievement selected(any of the News text is unreadable though, bleh).

The original background image is 1024x1024, but in the emulators I tested this in, only the upper 2/3rds of the background is actually visible. If you use my image as an example, you can see in the emulator where the image is no longer visible and anticipate where to expect it to disappear in your own image.

Another problem - some emulators auto-size the background-image to the window ... others tile it instead.

Easy "installation" method:

1.) Rename your "Overlay" folder to "Overlay_Original" or something else you can understand is the original.

2.) Drop in all of the new themes you desire in their own folders in the same folder as your original Overlay(make sure they are a single folder and not buried in multiple nested folders), and as an easy way of keeping things organized, name them like this: "Overlay_NAME"

3.) Choose an Overlay theme and simply rename its folder to "Overlay".

Whenever you want to change them again, rename Overlay to its original Overlay_NAME, then choose another and rename it Overlay again. Always rename the current Overlay to another name before renaming the new theme.

Dexterspet
Posted: 21 Dec, 2016 21:37
I guess it wouldn't hurt to just drop mine here, even though I didn't change the bg image. (I don't go there often enough to care)

a.pomfe.co/ygtszum.rar

I just kinda threw it together for myself a long time ago but I like it. Based on Crash Bandicoot 1-3 SFX. It probably doesn't meet the "standard" outlined above but it worked for me just replacing all the files, though they didn't go through Audacity.

MGNS8M
Posted: 21 Dec, 2016 21:56
Last Edit: 21 Dec, 2016 22:05
Awesome! I'll add it to the list. Well, I don't intend for them to be the standard for everyone, but I just typically like to keep them the way that they were made for in the program. My main fear is that it will somehow get loaded wrong, crash the program similar to the way avatars do, or at best, just play a little higher or lower "pitch" or speed than you'd expect. But if they work that way, then that sounds fine by me.

Oh, spbbt. I accidentally included the 'conglom' wav I made of all the sounds together. It's not necessary and can be deleted... that was just the original log file I made. It also contains a VERY high-pitched whine, which I mostly was able to filter out in the finished waves. But that does increase the zip file size a bit, ugh. I went ahead and deleted that one and added a smaller version without it.

MGNS8M
Posted: 11 Jan, 2017 03:12
Added "HardCoRei RAEmu" because I'm working on achievements for Back to the Future, and since BTTF is basically a top-down shooter, I wanted an appropriately themed overlay that totally fits the theme.

One problem is that I didn't edit the SFX, I left them as-they-were when I downloaded it, so even though they weren't very loud in WinAMP, they're sometimes a bit loud in-game.

And another problem is that while I intended to make the background more subdued, I didn't gradient up high enough, so the bluish background sometimes interferes with achievement-text *IF* you already have the achievement and you don't have it selected with your cursor(because that highlights it and makes it readable). Maybe not a big deal, but maybe I could swing the HUE over to a more purple side if it was really bad.

Salsa
Posted: 11 Jan, 2017 19:59
Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2017 20:00

MGNS8M
Posted: 12 Jan, 2017 03:31
Wow, lots of good ones there, added them to the top.. ^^;

matheus2653
Posted: 12 Jan, 2017 21:02
Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2017 22:31
Awesome Idea!! Here my custom overlay:

Sonic Themed Overlay

Maybe I'll do more.

Salsa
Posted: 12 Jan, 2017 21:56
There was som hiss in samples I've shared. Right now it's removed.
math, really nice package, still you need to dim this image, for the overlay text to be more readable on it.

matheus2653
Posted: 12 Jan, 2017 22:30
Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2017 23:26
No problem, Salsa. I already fixed it:

www.mediafire.com/download/1c49wgdgosqc8r6

I probably will make overlays for Kirby and Donkey Kong too.

Edit: Sorry, guys, the old link is broken, now is fixed.

kdecks
Posted: 08 Apr, 2017 12:58
Last Edit: 08 Apr, 2017 12:59
I'm made an Overlay (audio only) for A Link to the Past. Well it was like that at first and then I ended up finding a bunch of other sounds from other Zelda games, some from Zelda, Zelda 2, LttP, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess that I liked too. Now so now if you download the pack you can swap out whichever sounds you like the best.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B4ZX5gMP0H5dVG5mWGZZWHRydTQ

MGNS8M
Posted: 09 Apr, 2017 01:00
Alright, added those and also added one I just made. It's not the best, but I don't have "Stereo-Out" recording on this computer, so I have to rely on separate programs that can record themselves, so I used the GBA version of Jet Grind Radio to make it. So it's a bit compressed and noisy. Annnnd it's *little* over the top for the LBCancel and Unlock, so hopefully you don't get too many in a row. And the text is a bit hard to read if for some reason you actually rely on the emulator for any 'news updates'. ...but you might like it, who knows.

sta.sh/0qvodeosbmo ...also yes, I know it's Jet Set Radio in other regions, but this is the one I grew up with, so that's what I used to make it with.

MGNS8M
Posted: 30 May, 2017 20:51
Small update, made one with Sega-CD sound effects, intros, and for lack of a better sound, one Sonic-CD blurb. Also includes Message and AchError from Matheus2653's Sonic pack because they're rarely used. Overall I think the Unlock.wav is a bit low even though I tried to amplify it, and the system sounds used for LB and LBCANCEL are really really basic, but they were the only things I could grab from the Sega-CD BIOS that were remotely recognizable otherwise.

sta.sh/015js8gbtefg

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account