User: 
Pass: 

Donkey Kong Country - Competition Edition

Page: < 1 2
AuthorMessage

JAM
Posted: 09 Jan, 2018 00:22
Last Edit: 18 Jan, 2018 13:42
Added 3 more leaderboards for the last level. I don't think it's possible to beat the whole level without TAS but checkpoint can be reached for great players without saves.

EDIT: OK, it's possible to beat the game in 10 minutes. After playing it more than 50 hours I could beat it. So one more leaderboard is added. It's secret and it appears only if you have a chance to complete it.

Also have 2 cheevos in plans.

JAM
Posted: 12 Feb, 2018 23:14
Last Edit: 22 Feb, 2018 00:33
Alright, since there are new rules, I want to make minor revision. Nothing will be removed in honor of the set's dev. Just new cheevos and set rebalancing.

Last level is long. At least 2:20 is needed to beat it while all other levels can be cleared from 25-30 seconds to 1 minute. So, idea is to make and reacts to Star Barrel in the middle of level.

Cheevos to add (now in unofficial):
1. -- actually beat all 11 levels in 10 minutes (any score, any time left). It's hard and need a lot of practice. Watching speedruns is a good idea too. So 50 30 points for doing it.
2. (old name Bounty hunter) -- enter 19 bonus rooms in one run. Winning in mini-games is not required. Note: some bonus rooms (2nd in Reptile Rumble and 1st in Bouncy Bonanza is removed from DKC by Nintendo) 20 points.
3. -- get 25 lives without losing any. Time to get lives from bonuses and hidden places. There are several ways to do it. Just entering bonuses is not enough. KONG letters in most levels also good idea. 25 points.
4. (old name: Animalist master) -- clear any animal bonus stage with 800 points or above. It means you have to collect 3 animal token without losing live, have enough time to actually clear the bonus level and get a lot of mini-animal tokens. 15 points.

Rebalance:
rename to "Donkey!" No points change.
All animalist cheevos cut to 5 10 points but also make player get them without losing live. (40 points to be freed)
cut to 5 points. It's really not hard if you know the original Donkey Kong Country game. (45/90)
cut to 5 points. Another easy achievement. (60/90)
cut to 10 points. (70/90)
All "beat the level riding animal" cut to 5 points (90/90)
Take 5 points from first 3 Trial cheevos and add them to last 3 Trial cheevos. So, 5 points for beating first 3 trial cheevos, 15 points for beating last 3 trial cheevos, 10 points for the rest.

Infiltration cheevos change
change condition to 50 points instead of 100
change condition to 350 points instead of 300
change condition to 650 points instead of 600

Trial cheevos change (already applied)
As I mentioned, some levels can be cleared in 20-25 seconds while others require about a minute. So all infiltration cheevos will require to clear certain level having total time greater than X. Limitation will vary from medium (first levels) to harsh (last levels). Players will get first 3 trial cheevos for running not so fast, but to complete the last ones they should do most levels fast enough (meaning they will need to beat first levels faster then it required by cheevos to actually have enough time left for last levels).

In general, trial cheevos are now using arcade racing games checkpoint system. You have a lot of time from the start and you'll reach first one or two checkpoints for sure but actual time added is not enough to reach the next checkpoint. Playing more also makes you learn to drive accurately from the start to have more time.

EDIT: I talked to salvador and then we decided to cut old cheevos less. Only 90 point will be cut instead of 110.

FitzG
Posted: 13 Feb, 2018 01:20
Cool cheevos but i feel is much better in a bonus, especally that TAS cheevo. You need no only practice, skill too to complete some of your cheevos, this is my opinion.

JAM
Posted: 13 Feb, 2018 03:59
Last Edit: 13 Feb, 2018 04:42
All 4 of them require skills actually but nothing TAS-like. See, you have harsh time limit for the whole game. Entering bonus take some seconds, completing the bonus take some seconds, hunt for animal tokens takes a lot of seconds. That 50-points cheevo is humanly possible in hardcore mode (but it means ignore most bonuses, just use the fastest way all the time). That was intended by achievement creator. If it wasn't possible then he'd made 11 or 12 minutes version instead of 10-minute one.

Why I don't want the bonus? The set originally had 300 points and then few 20-points cheevos was added. Although most infiltration cheevos are way harder then all animalist ones.

Blazekickn
Posted: 22 Feb, 2018 01:21
I'm fine with it personally. I always considered competition carts as more of a Bonus set type thing anyway, so hard cheevos are fine imo. Just don't expect me to master it because i suck at DKC, lel

JAM
Posted: 03 Mar, 2018 21:27
Last Edit: 04 Mar, 2018 22:51
Achievements have been tweaked as I described above. New achievements are in Unofficial for now, but they are working. In 1-2 days I'll upload them to the Core as soon as I make the badges. And set will be done and fully complete.

EDIT: Uploaded to the Core. Set is now complete.

EDIT: Recomended settings
10-minute version (see link in the game page comments)
HARDCORE mode: off for training, on for the real challenge
Leaderboadrs: on
Notification: on for first few times, off when you get the idea
Score/Time counter: on
Rank display: OFF

JAM
Posted: 05 Apr, 2018 14:54
Alright, final minor revision is planned. I had idea and I can't get it out of my mind, so I want to make it and finally make a little DK hack.

1 new cheevo
Monkey is Donkey (5 or 10 points) -- reach Croctopus Chase star barrel without switching to Diddy ever. Diddy is faster then Donkey so every good DKC Competition player will switch to Diddy right after getting the first DK barrel. Meaning of this cheevo is playing the game unusual way and it's also no damage run.

You actually can have 2 different Rambi tokens in this game, and at least 3 tokens of another animals (4 for Enguarde), but you'll have enough time only to fully complete 2 animal bonus stages, so...

cut to 5 points. In all other animalist cheevos change requirement to 3 tokens. Collecting 3 Winky tokens will be interesting.

split into 2 cheevos. World running champion and World swimming champion. First -- for getting 800 points in Enguarde bonus stage and second -- for Expresso bonus stage. 10 points each. 5 points from will go here. Everyone who got before split will get both cheevos collected (although there are just 3 players who did it).

Change requirement to 3000 points or less. Currently you can get score under 3100 points even using all shortcuts (in Ropey Rampage, Snow Barrel Blast and Slipslide Ride). To get score under 3000 player should not use one of these shortcuts. There is enough time for that. So ignore one of shortcuts for this cheevo from infiltration series only.

So, if you have mastered set, all you need to do is speedrun it one more time playing as Donkey. Shouldn't be so hard.

Leaderboards
Add 11 leaderboards for Donkey's course (time left for each level),
1 -- for second animal bonus stage,
2 -- for "fair play" challenge (max points in 5/10 minutes without death or re-entering bonus).

Evilman
Posted: 08 Apr, 2018 18:24
Hi !

First of all, great job creating a set for this game, I had a lot of fun all the week-end trying to beat the game with a friend.

I'm playing with Retroarch and Bsnes Balanced core, obviously using the 10mn ROM linked in the comments, all the achievements and leaderboards are working apparently fine, at least I didn't notice anything stange, except for the "Fast Like Funky" achievement. I managed to beat the game twice (and the leaderboards will prove that with no problems), however it didn't unlock for some reason...

First time I was a bit upset considering how difficult it is to beat the last stage and the whole thing just in time, but I understand sometime that emulation can be weird, so I retried once again using a different core (SNES9X this time), and still it didn't unlock for me... My time for the whole game completion was submitted however, weird.

Can you check this one and the triggers for it ? I can do another run but I'd rather want to know if it will work this time to avoid a lot of internal suffering for me if the thing is glitched on my side ;D

Thanks !
Page: < 1 2

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account