Pokemon - Emerald Version

Page: 1 2 3 >
AuthorMessage

God
Posted: 02 Dec, 2013 23:24
Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 02 Dec, 2013 23:24 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Pokémon+Emerald+Version+Gameboy+Advance
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Pokémon+Emerald+Version+Gameboy+Advance
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Pokémon+Emerald+Version+Gameboy+Advance

timrtabor123
Posted: 03 Aug, 2015 02:14
Coding difficulties make mainline generation 3 Pokemon games hard to develop for. This information should probably be added to the FAQ given how popular the games are.

Brian
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 04:09
Been looking into it out of curiosity of just how bad the RAM is...
So far, here's what doesn't exist in RAM(for sure, I even used Cheat Engine to check regions outside of IRAM):
• Item quantity (probably includes item ID)
• Pokemon ID
• Pokemon Nature
• Event Flags (everything including who you battled, talked to, what you obtained or did. This is major)
Things like event flags literally have to exist for the game to work the way it does, so it doesn't make sense for these things to not be there. Now that makes me think there could be a chance that they're dynamic to the point where they change addresses every time the value is changed, but even then, I believe I would've found something. I did filters with that idea in mind.
Here's what exists, but is so dynamic, that they're unusable:
• Player name
• Timer for new area's sign to pop up in the up-left corner
• All game settings

coczero
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 08:09
Actually some of the RAM is XOR encrypted. This probably includes the event flags I guess. There arent even cheats for, for example stuff like badges. We need a huge toolset update to get this to work, so I dont think we will see it in the near future.

Brian
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 08:33
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 08:37
I can make a set with some stable things I found, although it will be quite lackluster compared to the overall content in the game. I can currently check for area ID, music, movement type, if a dialogue box is up(kind of) and player frozen status(during dialogues and events).

coczero
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 08:35
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 08:35
Do you have player coordinates?

Brian
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 08:40
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 08:44
Oh yeah, I have player coordinates within the area as well. Forgot to post that. Basically it's the environmental collision offsets, it doesn't actually teleport the player visually. So I can edit the environmental collisions to pseudo-teleport the character. It's fine because when the player moves, it really just changes the collision offsets and map background offsets at the same time.

coczero
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 09:39
Hm I guess it could be enough for most story based achievements.

StingX2
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 12:48
Could you make a GYM badge achievement based on the the gym music turning into a victory theme?

coczero
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 13:03
Clever thinking. Would probably work.

Brian
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 13:24
Yeah, if the victory theme for the gym badge was unique and not the same one used by pre-leader battles.

StingX2
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 13:30
:/

Brian
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 13:48
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 13:57
But wait, if I also check for a coordinate box at the same time...

Example:
X>1
X<5
Y>5
Y<9

This method actually opens up the possibilities for a lot more events.

Dexterspet
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 17:05
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 17:06
Isn't the gym leader battle music unique from the other battles in the gym, though?

coczero
Posted: 08 Aug, 2015 17:15
Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2015 17:15
Yes it is, also you could just check where youre standing. If youre standing near the gym leader and then check the music you should be fine
Page: 1 2 3 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account