Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 30 Nov, 2013 18:13 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Super+Punch-Out!!+SNES
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Super+Punch-Out!!+SNES
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Super+Punch-Out!!+SNES

SuperPimsky
Posted: 30 Nov, 2013 18:13
We need to set up some achievemnets for this game and for Mike Tyson's Punchout soon. I'll help if I can figure out how.

Jaarl
Posted: 01 Dec, 2013 11:48
I think the punch-out games hand themselves better to leaderboards rather than achievements , HOWEVER you could most likely add a few , like beat every circuit (weightclass?) and maybe like ... knockout on a super? beat this and that guy on a regular Knockout and not a TKO and this and that..could also go for no-hit on certain ones but I dont know how much you could do to not make it feel too repetative

DeliciousCrabmeat
Posted: 01 Dec, 2013 16:15
I was giving some thought to these games, also. I was thinking win a circuit without using a super punch, or beating a boxer after being knocked down twice. That said, leaderboards would be a ton of fun for these.

SuperPimsky
Posted: 01 Dec, 2013 16:23
Yeah. I literally don't know how to make an achievement, haha. But I was thinking they could be as simple as beating a circuit. Or for Super Punchout you could do something like "Beat Gabby Jay in Under 20 Seconds" or something like that. Is the goal to have really unique achievements as opposed to just completing parts of the game? I know many achievements on XBOX are just beating parts of the game.

Jaarl
Posted: 03 Dec, 2013 11:15
this varies heavily from developer to developer, I personally (when possible) try to have as much optional stuff as possible or at the very least aim for about 50/50 progress/optional(skill or something else) achievements when I make mine

Scott
Posted: 03 Dec, 2013 13:35
Hey ! We're still experimenting with a good mix, so far we have been able to break down achievements into 'progression', 'collection' and 'inspirational' (or thereabouts), at a ratio or distribution of about 50%/30%/20%. Progression points are awarded for simply progressing through the game. If you complete a game from start to finish on standard settings, you should be given about 50% of the achievements.

Next are 'collection' (or 'challenge') achievements, these are given for reaching the best part of a game, for example collecting all the power ups in a level, or defeating a level/boss without taking a hit. Examples: , , , .

Finally Inspirational achievements are the type that make you think differently about a game. For example, completing Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1 without collecting a ring or with a minimum score (), , , .

It's important to have a healthy mix of the difficult and easy, the obtainable and the aspirational, and we are heading towards having a good balance that I think most players can be happy with.

SuperPimsky
Posted: 03 Dec, 2013 14:18
I agree and have been very happy with the way that achievements have been done on the few games I've played. I'd love to help, but am apparently very inept at the tech. I can't figure out how to make an achievement. Do you have a guide on the site?

Scott
Posted: 03 Dec, 2013 16:24
There is! :) Have you seen this forum: retroachievements.org/viewforum.php?f=5? It contains retroachievements.org/viewtopic.php?t=12 which might be of use?

If you hit trouble, you're welcome to use these forums for any questions you might have retroachievements.org/viewforum.php?f=15, or you're very welcome to post back here too :)

Scott
Posted: 03 Dec, 2013 16:39
Btw, let me know how you get on! It can be v complicated stuff, just don't forget to press "save local" in the "achievement set" window, to make sure you don't lose your work - also, if you find a memory address Memory Inspector window that you want to keep a record of, click Save Note, this adds it on the server so you won't lose it!

Btw, Nice avatar!!

SamuraiGoroh
Posted: 04 Dec, 2015 23:14
+10 years from last time I played I believe, I was so rusty I forgot how each enemy pattern was...

I think there could be room for more achievements for this game. For once, getting the dizzy animation from each rival could be something.

Also, Bear Hugger at the end mentions that someone took him out in 17 seconds. While this doesn't change if you break that time, it's still possible to achieve (you'll need to counter him, which is somewhat challenging if you don't have a clue on how to do it).

Beating most of the enemies with a KO is possible, even Nick Bruiser. Can't remember which ones were not possible, but Bald Bull was one of them...

SamuraiGoroh
Posted: 14 Feb, 2016 02:13
It brought to my attention by another user about the "Champion" achievements (Win X Circuit Without Getting Knocked Down).

While I didn't had any issue (and would believe others in general), I took a look at the code and would seem is not quite correct (as while it can trigger when it should, I believe it could also trigger when it shouldn't). I haven't used much the ResetIf condition, but I believe that it should check equally for each boxer the same conditions before resetting.

Pseudo-Code:
ResetIf circuit != correct one
Check boxer 1 (count)
Check boxer HP (count) = 0
ResetIf knockdown
Check boxer 2 (count)
ResetIf knockdown
Check boxer 3 (count)
ResetIf knockdown
Check boxer 4 (count)
ResetIf knockdown
Victories = 4

Maybe in reality you'll need more checks, but you should get the idea that you should reset every time you fight a boxer...

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account