Pass: 

Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei

AuthorMessage

StingX2
Posted: 04 Jun, 2016 12:28
Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 04 Jun, 2016 13:28 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Digital+Devil+Monogatari:+Megami+Tensei+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Digital+Devil+Monogatari:+Megami+Tensei+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Digital+Devil+Monogatari:+Megami+Tensei+

StingX2
Posted: 04 Jun, 2016 12:28

Euclide
Posted: 16 Jun, 2017 04:23
Last Edit: 06 Nov, 2017 22:41
http://retroachievements.org/Game/8092 is done, but my copy links to http://retroachievements.org/Game/5094 which is still empty.

Edit: Works now. The achievement titles and descriptions need to be fixed though. Very lazy titles and descriptions, and full of errors.

kdecks
Posted: 03 Dec, 2017 14:57
Last Edit: 03 Dec, 2017 14:57
Changed

to:

I don't speak Japanese nor do I know this game. assured me that getting 20 gems is impossible and 7 is the max.

Source: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Denei/4273/MT/MT_sonota.htm

Translate and search "jewel"

Euclide
Posted: 13 Dec, 2017 22:28
Last Edit: 13 Dec, 2017 22:45
It is very easy to get 7 jewels, so for a quick point adjustment I would suggest making http://retroachievements.org/Achievement/36947 worth 10 points, since it is missable and time consuming without a guide, and reducing this one to 5 points.

I have other issues with this set, but fixing them would require substantial changes across the board. This should be a simple fix to keep it somewhat balanced for now.

Euclide
Posted: 17 Dec, 2017 20:04
Last Edit: 17 Dec, 2017 20:51
Now that I have finished the game, I will post all of the issues I have with this set.

1. Stretched sprites in icons, Fog's icon not reflecting its visual effect
2. No checking for cheating that I saw (i.e. you can generate a password and unlock many things "legally" with no effort whatsoever). Of course it is not possible to force players to play through the entire game without loading from a password, but some achievements need delta checks (Macca Master, Mediarahan, the level achievements...)
3. Wrong descriptions. I left comments on a few, some have the wrong floor marked, some have the wrong monster. Some also have the wrong areas, like monsters in 炎の腐海 marked as Mazurka. Not sure if "Hellfire" is the right translation. Daedalus Tower is written "Daelus". At least one other typo ("Sand Looper t").
4. Nonsensical achievement names. Quoting lines from some Persona song in achievements for DDS1 is inappropriate, some names I just don't understand, others follow the pattern "The Secret [word]" where word is either some weird synonym for the monster name, the name of a similar monster that is not the same (e.g. bakeneko/nekomata) or just the monster name itself.
5. The final 8x8 floor in the game hands an achievement for almost every step taken, because there are a bunch of fixed encounters on the way to the end (7, excluding the boss). Instead of giving an achievement for every fixed encounter, plus up to 2 for the boss itself, that number could be reduced to the most important fixed encounters (1 to 3 depending on your criteria, cutting at least 4) and grant less points.
6. Too many checklist/trivial achievements with obvious optional ones missing, like getting the strongest equipment/weapon or the strongest demon.
7. Not sure if this is intentional, but "My Last Pray" still unlocks as long as every summoned demon is withdrawn before winning the battle.
8. Questionable achievements, like "Twelve Labors" which is earned through a fixed encounter, but the same encounter occurs many times in the same area, and yet it is only granted in one specific point that I know of. Same deal for "The Secret Dodongo". I would remove these two.
9. Mostly minor issues, but some questionable point distributions, like the one mentioned in my last post, as well as weird point value fluctuations for fixed encounter achievements.
10. Achievements that contain spoilers. Bosses are mentioned in the manual, so those are fine. I think RA should have a Steam-like feature to hide spoiler achievements, but in this case, as almost every major event in the game is associated with being awarded an item, changing the conditions to obtaining such and such item would be simple.

The two most important things to fix in my opinion are #5, #6 and #8. I would remove the two achievements in #8, remove the "free" achievements in #5 (keeping Belzebub, Fog, maybe Astaroth), then add some optional achievements for getting the strongest weapon (which is optional and challenging) and for getting the strongest demon. Point distributions should be adjusted in consequence.

Since I am not a Developer (as in the user class), I have not yet looked at changing the rule set or creating new achievements. I have been making some for DDS2, but I would like to fix this and get it over with before I continue working on the sequel. I do not mind doing the work if a developer can verify and commit the changes for me.

Euclide
Posted: 03 Jan, 2018 16:55
Last Edit: 03 Jan, 2018 16:57
Renamed to Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei. While the Japanese title is written デジタルデビル物語 女神転生, 物語 is read ストーリー ("story") as indicated by furigana on the box and in the instruction manual. It is frequently abbreviated to DDS (Digital Devil Story), including in the instruction manual.

alecTwhite
Posted: 30 Jan, 2018 11:50
Updated patch was released this past week here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2287/
Doesn't work with this set currently though.

Euclide
Posted: 18 Feb, 2018 17:13
Last Edit: 18 Feb, 2018 17:43
There is a small revision in progress, which for now is based on the pre-1.0 patch (see the game page for a download link) and the original Japanese version of the game. Anyone can feel free to add notes for relevant 1.0 patch memory addresses (make sure to label them as such). If you do, please PM me so that I can add support for it without breaking compatibility with the original.

Otherwise, please submit tickets for achievements that are not working through RANes.

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account