Created 04 Apr, 2016 03:02 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Godzilla+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Godzilla+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Godzilla+

MGNS8M
Posted: 17 Feb, 2017 20:01
Last Edit: 17 Feb, 2017 21:28
I'm running into a slight problem with passwords on this game, otherwise I have 35 achievements mostly-ready to go.

More or less, there are two challenge-passwords I want to use, but having scrapped and exchanged one of them, I'm now finding that one also makes the last-planet wayyyyyyyy too easy. The only way I can detect that you have not entered that password for the REAL last-planet-achievement(s) is to detect that the last-monster is at full-health. Because on the special-password, that monster is already at 00 health(and not FF health like it would normally be for monsters not on the field, but for some reason this password already has their health at 00).

The problem is that passwords DO record monsters as being defeated. SO... if you beat that monster, save-and-quit with a password, then come back ... if I'm blocking that easy-password by requiring that last-monster be at full health at some point, then he won't be at full health, and you'll lose.

And no, passwords don't stay in memory, by the way. They're cleared out as soon as you enter them, and worse, I think they're in the same location for passwords you gain while in-game, AND that password changes even one second after the last time you requested a passsword(which you get by pressing SELECT on the Hex-Map). So even if I could detect what password you entered and "block" that, it would be constantly changing anyway.

Due to that, I would need to tell the player "hey you, don't use a password on Planet X after defeating Ghidora", which I can't fit into the achievement description, and MIGHT cause some confusion if they don't come here to read that. Also it means the achievement itself is that-much-more-difficult for not being able to save if you're at low-health after beating Ghidora....but really, why wouldn't you just walk over and beat the game at that point?

I think it'll be fine, but just a heads up or maybe some time for people who are interested in the game to say what they wish about it... but I think that's how I'm going to try to solve that problem for now, just require that you NOT use a Password on Planet X after defeating Ghidora. I honestly don't know why you would, but that's just the way it'll have to be for the moment.

MGNS8M
Posted: 20 Feb, 2017 20:36
Last Edit: 21 Feb, 2017 17:48
Quick Notes:

When on a Hex-Map, you can get a password by pressing SELECT.
Every time you press SELECT you get a new password. I don't know why. I suppose there might be an in-game timer somewhere..?

You can use passwords, they shouldn't affect achievements. Hopefully.

All "Level" based achievements require you to be the level you were, so you will not get the achievement if you simply use a password and automatically become that level. If it asks for Level-04 as an achievement, you need to be Level-03 and gain that extra level to become Level-04.

All "MORTAL KAIJU" achievements require all monsters to be killed AND both Godzilla and Mothra escape the planet alive.

If a monster flees, you lose. If one of your monsters die and don't make it to the end, you lose.

You can use passwords for the MORTAL KAIJU achievements.
You can use passwords, but you must defeat all monsters on the planet in the same play-session.
Do NOT use passwords after defeating the monsters until you move onto the next planet.

If a monster DOES flee, you can get him back by saving and reloading with a password.
If you are standing on a hex where the monster usually spawns, he will spawn underneath you. He WILL disappear for a moment when you attempt to move your monster, but he IS still there and can be re-fought.

In order to beat the last level, King Ghidora must have been seen as having more-health-than-zero once.

IF YOU USE A PASSWORD AFTER GHIDORA DIES, you will lose. So please do not use a password after beating him(I'm not sure why you would, but still, you need to have seen him with more than 00-health at some point). The reason is because the special-password "sea m0nster" starts with Ghidora already dead, which is the only real difference between ACTUALLY being on Planet X and playing the sea-monster-event.

Special passwords:

If there is a space in a password, it needs to be there. If the length of the password adds a space automatically while you are inputting the password, don't worry about it. All you need to do is add a space if the password has one as written here. (The "space" character is after Z - technically, all un-entered password spaces are counted as a "space" in memory, so you could also use "RIGHT" to advance to the right....I think.)

"sea m0nster" hopefully will not accidentally pop the last-level achievement. It's kind of on the easy-side as a challenge-password, but the real last-level achievement is made to require King Ghidora to have had more-than-zero-health at some point.

In order to beat "sea m0nster", both Godzilla and Mothra need to make it to the end.
Godzilla starts at Level-14, Mothra starts at Level-01.

"destr0y all m0nsters" is difficult. You are stuck at Level-08, which makes the stages and most of the monsters relatively-easy, but Ghidora himself is HARD to beat when you're only Level-08. Also, I have no idea if "continue passwords" can be used on top of this password. In order to work, all enemy monsters must have a health of 00... normally when not on the board, their health is at FF or F#, so I'm not sure if a password generated while playing this special-password will retain an enemy monster's death if they're not found on Earth normally. I've only played this by just beating everyone during the same gaming-session.

As far as I can tell, every thing seems relatively stable so far. Just let me know if something breaks.

I'm sorry the level-achievement-names are kinda dumb. But they have meaning to me, I guess?

I'm not sorry for sea m0nster's icon.

MGNS8M
Posted: 21 Feb, 2017 18:02
It was pointed out to me that the more difficult "MORTAL KAIJU" achievements can be cheesed with a password where all monsters were already defeated, so I'm going to make them require the monsters to have had more than 00-Health at some point.

This means that you must defeat the monsters and exit the planet for THAT planet in one play session.

You can use passwords to get TO the planet, you can use passwords any number of times before any monster is defeated, but every monster on the planet must have > 00 HP and THEN have 00 HP and THEN both of your monsters leave the planet alive.

I didn't mind passwords being used for personal use, but I told someone that planet-starting-passwords on GameFAQs could be used, and then it became apparent that those passwords are kind of "rigged" where you can beat that planet easily and all monsters are already defeated, which allowed these 'challenge achievements' to be automatically won.

So in order for those achievements to block against that, I have to require that the monsters be alive and THEN die rather than just blindly checking for them to be dead. If you back out to the menu at any time, it will reset the MORTAL KAIJU achievements, so make sure once you defeat one enemy, don't create/use any passwords after it until you get to the next planet. Make sure you have a backup password to return to a point where each monster on that planet is still alive before re-attempting it.

Shouldn't be toooo too difficult of a change, but I have to do it I guess.

Salsa
Posted: 24 Feb, 2017 01:11
Hey Mag, I've noticed that japanese version got a proper www.romhacking.net/translations/2894/. I know it's a bit superior over the official localization (like some other of Compile games). I bet it will also be compatible with your set...

MGNS8M
Posted: 24 Feb, 2017 01:33
Ahhh... personally, I like the charm of the bad-translation and the music/title-screen I'm used to from what I played in my childhood, but hopefully it's compatible with this one if someone uses it, then.

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account