CRC32 Checksum: B382EA71

Resources:
GameFAQs
Longplay
Wikipedia

cirellio
Posted: 24 Sep, 2013 20:00
Some background on this little gem:
I'll start off by saying it's dramatically different than the well-known SNES Capcom platformer of the same name.

This version was developed by Virgin Interactive (instead of Capcom), who were lent some of the actual Disney animators to do the in-game hand-drawn animation and background designs. They produced over 250,000 frames of hand-drawn animation and hand-painted background cells for the game. David Perry headed this team, who would later go on to make a little known game with Shiny Entertainment called 'Earthworm Jim'.

The work this team put into Aladdin shows, resulting in an overall impressive look and style - a technical marvel of its time. Smooth animation not only for the characters, but also in the moving elements seamlessly integrated with the backgrounds (You'd have to see the swinging wrecking balls in the Sultan's Dungeon to believe it). The quality of the title spoke for itself: Despite being a movie-license game, it ended up being the third highest selling Genesis/Megadrive game ever, just behind Sonic and Sonic 2.

Yes, you read right - A movie license title sold more copies than well-known zeitgeists such as Mortal Kombat, Sonic 3, and NBA Jam. That should say something.

The game is noticeably faster-paced and frenetic than its SNES counterpart. (If you compare the speed of gameplay when escaping the Cave of Wonders, you'll see exactly what I mean.) You don't jump on enemies' heads anymore, and you have a sword at your disposal. ... There's so many differences, you'll just have to play and find out.

I think it's a crime that many people, especially younger gamers, assume the two games are the same.

Not to sell the SNES version short! Both games should be experienced as they are both excellent platformers. But if you haven't yet given this one a try, give it a go.

cirellio
Posted: 24 Sep, 2013 20:16
Ideas for more achievements -
1. Successfully complete the 'Abu' extra stages.
2. Find the different hidden Mickey hats in the background (and position Aladdin so it looks like he's wearing them).
3. No-hit achievements or speedrun achievements would be great as well.

Scott
Posted: 24 Sep, 2013 22:13
Great write up Jaarl, I mean Cirellio, you've made some very, very valid points - the mega drive Aladdin definitely stands out as one of a kind, a rare case where the mega drive title actually plays more like a snes title with the fluidity and colours that made the game such a joy to play. It truly was an interactive movie that followed the plot very closely.

I heard a rumour when I was studying games development that the code was written by Dave Perry in 99 days from concept to production - not impossible to believe but an interesting maybe-true statistic :P

JonnyRetro
Posted: 31 Jan, 2014 13:03
Hmm.. some more weird stuff today.. played the game.. earned te abu mini-game cheev.. then I restarted my laptop to pick up later and played a further 3 levels but no more achievements unlocked.. :/

bad rom maybe?

Scott
Posted: 31 Jan, 2014 13:15
it's possible you opened the app, selected a game and started playing before the achievements had been fetched from the server, (i.e. you logged in *after* opening the ROM somehow) - if you press escape, do the achievements appear in the overlay?

JonnyRetro
Posted: 31 Jan, 2014 13:27
That's probably what happened.. I was playing the game and the achievements hadn't loaded yet.. the only way I would get them to load was re-loading the rom.

I always play in fullscreen so I have to switch back to window mode to see what cheevs i'm activating every now and then.. when I finished playing.. i pressed home and it said no achievements loaded.

I WAS logged in when I loaded the rom however..

Riger
Posted: 05 Aug, 2016 07:52
Maybe, it's time to update the set?
1) Create achivs like "Find The Peddler" on EVERY level
2) Create achivs like "Complete the abu stage <...> without taking damage" on EVERY level
3) Create achiv, where you should pass the game without dying
4) Maybe some achivs with bosses...

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account