User: 
Pass: 

EarthBound

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AuthorMessage

Hippocrates
Posted: 01 Dec, 2018 21:50
Last Edit: 24 Dec, 2018 20:25
Missables list for this game, made for paranoid completionists.

— must be done before the ending sequence.
— before fighting Carpainter.
— before fighting Carpainter.
— must be done as Jeff before meeting Ness and Paula.
— re-enter the room with a stage just after Runaway Five's last performance.
— keep asking Everdred to repeat what he said.

— let each Flying Man die before leaving Magicant.

— must be obtained before defeating Starman Super DX
— in Summers Museum, leave one of the Shattered Men alive. During the ending sequence, come back and let him kill you, then use your map.

— save before talking with Dr. Andonuts in Saturn Valley if you want to get both this and Camera-shy achievements.

Alurith
Posted: 02 Dec, 2018 00:17
Jesus, so many.

Evilman
Posted: 02 Dec, 2018 12:17
Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2018 12:18
Might be a good thing to make some saves available to download at key points in the game allowing players to complete these missable achievements.

As someone who completed this set a while ago, it's a really great and fun one, but there's too many missables spoiling the adventure for new players. And once again, Camera-Shy is imo the worst one, it's neither fun or enjoyable to do considering you clearly have to use a guide at some points to avoid trigger areas, this one really should be demoted, or at least changed. The idea is cool, the execution really isn't.

televandalist
Posted: 02 Dec, 2018 12:52
Last Edit: 02 Dec, 2018 12:53
Very much against using save states for missables. Not only is it free points, saying "Wow, I'm glad I didn't miss that one." is much more satisfying than "Damn. I missed it. That's okay, I'll just download a save state."

Part of the fun in obtaining missables is knowing you didn't miss them.

Sure, there's the argument that missing one feels like a bunch of time was wasted, but not every game needs to be mastered in one go. You can always start again another day, and that day you'll know more about the game and be better prepared.

Just my opinion.

Evilman
Posted: 02 Dec, 2018 13:18
I do agree about pretty much everything you've said, it's just that imo, RPG games are quite long to play and it's awfully frustrating to see you missed one achievement you could have done without problems, like "Beat X Boss this way". Paranoid completionists (like me for these games :P ) have unfortunately no other solutions than to spoil themselves to get these achievements. A list of all missables is already a good thing, still a light spoil but better than nothing.

Perhaps a better workaround, edit the missables descriptions to mark them as missable, and provide a little hint about where you should save progress before trying to get these ones. Just an idea.

Alurith
Posted: 02 Dec, 2018 14:26
I like the above idea.

dude1286
Posted: 04 Dec, 2018 19:02
I had came up with the idea of a set of community save states that could be used with hardcore mode that would unlock for a player when they unlocked a specific achievement so that they could go for a more specific missible achievements. Although this was more for the no-hit boss achievements that the save states would unlock when the necessary story achievement would unlock, but games like this could also benefit as well outside of the full run achievements like Camera Shy. Would provide players who didn't want to get spoiled to play a full run blind, and the save states would never allow them to go further than they got on their own.

Nikus
Posted: 13 Jan, 2019 15:17
Yeah the camera shy achievement is ruining it for me. Along with the descriptions of the end game cheevos...

Also, the Project DIVA one didn't pop for me, I saw her solo multiple times and nothing.

joker1000
Posted: 20 Jan, 2019 14:47
Have the same probleme with Project DIVA.

Nikus
Posted: 29 Jan, 2019 11:31
After 15 hours of trying without success to get the ribbon and the gutsy bat in the cave of the past, I just want to slit open my wrists. Thanks.

Evilman
Posted: 29 Jan, 2019 11:53
Use emulator speed up, it's allowed in hardcore mode, even with speed x5 it took me two hours to get the bat...

Euclide
Posted: 29 Jan, 2019 20:13
Last Edit: 29 Jan, 2019 20:13
Nikus/Evilman: How long would you say it takes on average to go through one attempt at getting this drop, at normal speed? Count one attempt per enemy defeated that can drop the item in question.

Evilman
Posted: 29 Jan, 2019 20:33
The official rate is 1/128 for all legendary items, but it's just number, you can get it first try if you're (extremely) lucky or after more than 400 hundred battles... My case for the gutsy bat easily.

I don't know, it's awfully long, 4 hours maybe but I neved did it the "legit" way honestly.

Nikus
Posted: 31 Jan, 2019 02:50
Last Edit: 31 Jan, 2019 02:53
I've sped up the game, although only 2x and it's been more than 15 hours now, so I must be the most unlucky person on Earth. I don't think I can speed up more on my Recalbox.
I did get the Gutsy Bat after maybe 30 Bionic Kraken fought. So I was lucky for that. But now I must have fought thousands of Ghost of Starmen and still no ribbon. The worst is when they're with other enemies and I get another item. I'm just using Spy with Jeff and I run away if there's nothing but damn...
Everytime I fight a Ghost of Starman by himself, my heart skips a beat. But still nothing.

Nikus
Posted: 31 Jan, 2019 03:40
Got it, finally. I think I'm gonna cry ;_;
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account