Official Topic Post for discussion about
Created 16 Oct, 2015 06:05 by

Resources:
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.gamefaqs.com+Dragon+Warrior+2+
www.google.com/search?q=site:www.longplays.org+Dragon+Warrior+2+
www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+Dragon+Warrior+2+

jimstrom
Posted: 25 May, 2016 22:30
No achivements at all? This game was made with achievements in mind long before it was a mechanic.

Abel78
Posted: 01 Sep, 2016 20:59
Last Edit: 01 Sep, 2016 21:01
I agree with jimstrom-san.

popoki
Posted: 26 Oct, 2016 17:49
Last Edit: 26 Oct, 2016 17:50
Just letting people know that I'm replaying it right now for the first time in about 15 years then I'm gonna work on its achievement set.

DonCosmo
Posted: 26 Oct, 2016 22:52
Thank you! One of my favorite all time series.

popoki
Posted: 27 Oct, 2016 00:08
Yeah, same. I haven't played some in a long time and never even beat some others, but I'd like to eventually do sets for them all if no one else does. I have no ETA on any others but DW2 is simple and short and should be a matter of days at most, then I'd like to do 3, 4, and possibly the SNES/GBC remakes of 1-3 while they're fresh on my mind; we'll see though.

KrustyKong
Posted: 27 Oct, 2016 04:09
Hooray! Good luck to you

infpgamer
Posted: 27 Oct, 2016 14:33
Awesome news, I'd love to play the 1-3 remakes and DW4 as well.

popoki
Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 18:35
Last Edit: 29 Oct, 2016 21:55
I'd like to bring up some questions about what kinds of achievements I should omit. I'd like to add some for rare or hard-to-find items, especially stuff that requires no grinding like the Thunder Sword, Water Flying Cloth and Leaf of the World Tree, but when it comes to rare enemy drops what is people's opinion? Stuff like the cursed sword / armor / devil's tail shouldn't be too bad, but extremely rare stuff like the Dragon's Potion and Mysterious Hat might be too much -- the former requires grinding on the ridiculous-to-grind-on Metal Babble, killing even one of which I already have as an achievement, while the latter is apparently so rare that only a few players have ever found one and it's not even listed as an item on several item lists for the game. I'm not so sure about them.

On the same note, I'm trying to avoid overtly stressful achievements like winning all the Lottery-specific items (I have an achievement to win the lottery once, no matter what you get, even if it's an herb) or fully maxing character levels, I have one for all-30 now since it'd take enough grinding to even get the Princess that high. Similarly, I've got one to buy a Mink Coat as the one and only money-based achievement, and likewise would require about the maximum amount of grinding that I'd prefer to include in the set if possible.

What are your thoughts? Maybe I'll just add the ridiculous stuff as unofficial achievements, unless people really feel it'd be nice for full-completion's sake and since we have a turbo button, but still...

KrustyKong
Posted: 29 Oct, 2016 21:10
All of your suggestions pretty reasonable. I haven't played any of the remakes of this game, but I assume they fixed up some of the drops so I'd leave that to those versions when we get to them.

HippopotamusRex
Posted: 31 Oct, 2016 01:05
Yeah I don't think extremely rare drop items are necessary for achievements. Stuff like pink tail from FF4. Even some of the 'rare gem' ones from Lufia 2 ended up being exhausting like the spider gem and camu gem.

I suppose the BEST way to gauge if a rare drop is worth it is if it actually contributes to helping perform another hard achievement. For instance, if there's armor but its 1/2048 from some random drop, then the best way to gauge whether its worth picking it up is if the armor is worth farming to do a boss.

Like the mysterious hat in Dragon Warrior 3. Really, really rare, but an mp cost reduction on it. So it has its own intrinsic value and doesn't need an achievement, because if someone finds that worth going after, they'll go after it and use it for the stuff that actually matters.

Ryan914
Posted: 04 Nov, 2016 03:53
Or the Happy/Elevating Shoes from the same game Hippo was talking about, those shoes are actually valuable because of the EXP per step it gives. That makes grinding to 99 or another high level a snap with the fast forward key.

WarriorTYS
Posted: 20 Mar, 2017 03:46
Warning: Achievements may be a bit buggy, I am currently trying to fix any bugs right now.
Answer for "Thy Name Sucks": Name Yourself "BUTTFACE"

infpgamer
Posted: 20 Mar, 2017 15:16
LOL I actually tried Beavis and Butthead both last night.

Abel78
Posted: 21 Mar, 2017 00:00
I'm so glad somebody finally got to this game. Now I wish I hadn't already completed it recently. But then, now I have a reason to play it again, so it's all good. =)
Page: 1 2 >

login

login to retroachievements.org:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account