login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

About password and achievements

AuthorMessage

Posted: 27 Sep, 2015 15:10
Last Edit: 27 Sep, 2015 16:38
Hi everyone,

I'm making achievements for a pinball game. There is a system of password in it. This can be used in order to come back to a previous play, but it can be used with known passwords with a lot of good things, like 99 balls or the max score. It breaks a part of the achievement of course, so I have 2 questions.

First, I was wondering how to lock all the achievements in a certain condition, here the use of passwords. Of course, I mean a way to do it without adding a condition in each achievement.

Secondly, how can I easily detect a certain number of banned passwords known ? I've found the 10 letters in the password screen in the RAM. I can detect one specific password with 5 couple of letter conditions, but what can I do with that ? I'm totally lost with that.

Ideally, I would like to create a pack of "achievements" which, when on of them is activated, locks all the true achievements. With this way, I can create "locker" achievements, each with conditions about a specific password. But I can't do this I guess. So... How can I detect a list of passwords and make them lock the main achievements ?

Thanks in advance !

Posted: 27 Sep, 2015 16:52
Last Edit: 27 Sep, 2015 17:11
I think in this case it would be better to just lock out achievements if passwords are used at all, which does require a condition to be added to all achievements. You can't have one achievement that locks out all others, they work individually. I believe the best way to do this would be to check that a 16bit address in the password system is equal to default values, this is assuming that using a password makes the values stick throughout the play, and that the password addresses are default while playing a new game.

Posted: 27 Sep, 2015 17:06
Thanks for your response :)

What you write is what I've done currently. It locks all the passwords, and this is what I wanted at the beginning. But after reflection, I think that it is extremly difficult to finish the game (have the max score) without using passwords, in only one try.

This is why I hope to have another way of doing this kind of things. I have two solutions now :
_ unlock all the passwords and autorize cheating with them
_ lock all passwords and make it extremely hard to finish the game

I do not know what is best :-/

Thanks again :)

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account