login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AuthorMessage

LootusMaximus
Posted: 02 Jan, 2018 20:22
The game already seems hard to me. I think this will bloat the set. I agree with what kdecks was saying. I would like to see bonus sets be a much more common thing. And to be used to avoid overbloating of sets.i also like to see all this info when someones making revisions.

kdecks
Posted: 02 Jan, 2018 23:10
(admin hat)
Lets first let everything go in, it's been approved. Let players test out and get a feel for the additions to the set. Please post your feedback on attempting the challenges and we can all discuss what would be best in and out of a bonus set.

(personal view)
A bonus set isn't just for the hardest achievements but also for challenges that are good but don't follow the flow of a set or for when a set gets too bloated. It's a post-mastery bonus pack of things to try and achieve you want even more of the game post mastery. Obviously there will be varying opinions of what should be in bonus and shouldn't. I find it difficult to look at the current set plus additions to decide where the perfect line should be drawn, but I'd like to try the set out myself so I can come to my own conclusion.

jackolantern
Posted: 03 Jan, 2018 01:01
Where the achievements have a (reset to menu), are they achievements you have to reset the game and start again if you fail? seems a bit harsh, especially in the wing fortress zone. Will these work with savestates as well or not?

kdecks
Posted: 03 Jan, 2018 01:48
Last Edit: 03 Jan, 2018 04:20
Anything with a checkpoint and resetifs won't work on softcore after the fail state.

ColonD
Posted: 03 Jan, 2018 16:09
I would rather not have Reset to Menu, but with Level Select enabled you just hit Pause and then A to go back to menu, and select the level again. The reason it is there is it will set a flag when the player is on the menu, this is reset if the player dies, it is the best way I can think of to check if the player has played a level from the beginning without failing the objective, otherwise I found various things that could be abused.
As for softcore, softcore wont work because I tried to put in checks to stop save state abusing, like on Genocide Cave Zone, I made it reset if the timer went back (loading a save state) because otherwise a player could keep killing the same enemy over and over again in order to earn the achievement. I can remove these checks if that would be preferred, but then I think a lot of the achievements could be earned without skill on Softcore. I will remove these checks if this would be better.

jackolantern
Posted: 03 Jan, 2018 17:11
Is the level select flag permanently on after 1st use, the value in memory I mean?

How do you kill all the enemies in Mystic Cave? I thought they respawned anyway.

ColonD
Posted: 04 Jan, 2018 03:46
Yeah, I believe once you have activated Level Select, it is only disabled by restarting the console.
There are 38 enemies in Mystic Cave Act 1 and 2 combined (as far as I can remember).
As far as I'm aware, the only way that enemies can respawn is if you die and respawn from a checkpoint or if you go to a special stage and respawn at a checkpoint. I have both of those conditions Reset the Menu flag (which is why player must reset to menu) so that the player can't abuse this.

ColonD
Posted: 13 Jan, 2018 17:36
Sorry I have not uploaded the set to core yet, I have been very unwell lately, and thinking about uploading the set gives me a lot of stress because I am afraid of something going wrong, I'm just being irrational though, I'll upload the set soon, I promise.

I have hopefully fixed a bug where would unlock if you exited to the menu when the boss was at 1 health remaining, regardless of whether you had taken damage in the level.

kdecks
Posted: 19 Jan, 2018 08:23
Any update?

Hope you're well.

ColonD
Posted: 19 Jan, 2018 14:37
I'll upload them this weekend, that's a promise!
If any problems occur with the achievements I'll take them down.

ColonD
Posted: 21 Jan, 2018 11:43
After 9 years in development, hopefully it would have been worth the wait. /s
Huzzah! It has been released. I was going to make leaderboards for this game but my phone has exploded, so I'll maybe wait until sometime next week. Sorry for the procastination.
There seems to be an issue with the site not displaying the first 4 achievements of this game properly. Please note that this happened before I decided to promote the achievements to core. If you click on them it seems that the achievements are still unlocked.

Also, you can have more than 400 points? I've reduced the points to be 400 total but before I had reduced the points, it seemed like over 400 points was allowed.

Also, I have a question that is sort of related to Sonic 2. I have never participated in the Achievement of the Week, but for this week it is an achievement from Sonic 2 and Knuckles, I have this achievement unlocked already, but do I need to delete my progress for the achievement and achieve it again? What does beating the achievement of the week do?

BenGhazi
Posted: 21 Jan, 2018 18:00
Last Edit: 21 Jan, 2018 18:07
When the AotW started it was a points based competition but the admins got busy with other stuff so now it's strictly for fun. If you're active on discord you do get a shout-out by a bot and a special rank for the rest of the week.

If you want to participate you will have to delete that achievement from your history and earn it again.

JAM
Posted: 24 Jan, 2018 09:44
Actually, deleting the cheevo's HARDCORE state and re-earn it is enough. This way your history will not be changed (this cheevos still will be gained between cheevos A and C, for example), only the date will be updated.

ColonD
Posted: 24 Jan, 2018 20:07
Last Edit: 24 Jan, 2018 21:52
wasn't working due to a condition I added later on in to the achievement. The condition was not triggering for some reason, it should of triggered but it didn't for some unknown reason. It wasn't too important anyway. I have removed this condition.

Edit: I have also discoved that sometimes counts killing one enemy as killing two, I do not know why this happens, it happens very rarely. When I unlocked the achievement on Hardcore a few minutes ago, I had killed all but two enemies. I can't fix this, but I don't think it's too bad because I'd assume if you can kill 37 enemies in the zone, then you have the skill to the other two.

ColonD
Posted: 27 Jan, 2018 15:43
wasn't working but has now been fixed. It was due to an anti-cheat I added later, the anti-cheat uses an alt condition so that it's pause conditions don't affect the main conditions, but if an achievement has an alternate condition, then at least one alternate condition must be true, I added a second alternate condition which is true so that the achievement will now trigger.
Page: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account